Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 30000 KM SERVICE  (Read 952 times)

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
Re: 30000 KM SERVICE
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 04:09:34 pm »
Videos on oil change?

Which oil is everyone using for the  1290 SAR?

The fact that services are every 15000km I feel I would like to change the oil every 7500km.
I just did mine like a month ago at around 7500 also.  Shelled out the big bucks for the actual motorex (As somebody who sells oil for a living, it PAINS me to pay R1000 for 4L) but I figure it's stamped on the engine so while under warranty I'll use it. Nothing wrong wit Liquimoly, Motul Etc.  Just make sure it's full synth, JASO MA or MA2 and 10W50 or 10W60.
The filter is cheap.
I think the oil change is actually described in the manual?  There are a few vids online for it though.   You WILL spill a bunch of oil  :laughing4: haha the drain plugs are in annoying places.

I need to now pull the tank off again and check the airfilter, but I'm lazy.

Offline Rexc-w

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 05:36:01 pm »
What does the experts say about Castrol Power1 Racing 10W-50? R119/L
Rex
(KTM 1190 Adv R - 2013, KTM 300 XCW - 2016, Specialized Epic S-Works)

Offline DanieW

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2019, 05:37:14 pm »
Videos on oil change?

The fact that services are every 15000km I feel I would like to change the oil every 7500km.
I just did mine like a month ago at around 7500 also.  Shelled out the big bucks for the actual motorex (As somebody who sells oil for a living, it PAINS me to pay R1000 for 4L) but I figure it's stamped on the engine so while under warranty I'll use it. Nothing wrong wit Liquimoly, Motul Etc.  Just make sure it's full synth, JASO MA or MA2 and 10W50 or 10W60.
The filter is cheap.
I think the oil change is actually described in the manual?  There are a few vids online for it though.   You WILL spill a bunch of oil  :laughing4: haha the drain plugs are in annoying places.

I still need to go past RAD to get the uni-filter kit... just havent had the gap yet! Then I need to put that beast in...

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 05:39:39 pm »
Videos on oil change?

The filter is cheap.

I still need to go past RAD to get the uni-filter kit... just havent had the gap yet! Then I need to put that beast in...

I heard they are still waiting for stock? They only had the gasket.
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 07:17:25 pm »

Matches the spec, should be fine.

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 11:37:17 pm »

I had the 1190, 1290SAR and the 1290 Super Duke.

Even on the 1st service, this is the oil I supplied KTM with. I gave them the oil, rest they supplied. In my opinion, you cant go wrong.

I run it now on my 990, and also on my H2 Supercharged.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline hiltonph

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • :( BAD COMPANY :(
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 05:51:57 am »

I used it for 2 services on my 1190. Ive used it on all my bikes and is a great oil but seems the gearbox is a bit scruffy with the castrol on the 1190. Currently running motol 7100 10w60 full synth and changed the gearbox. Its very smooth. I like changing oil at 7500km to add piece of mine and motul is not that expensive at R550 for 4 lts. Filter i am using is a hi-flo filter and is readily available everywhere. Hf650 is the part nr for the 1190.
Ride it like you stole it... Wait What????

Kawasaki KLR650 / Honda varadero xl 1000v/ BMW r1100s / Aprilia Caponord etv 1000 / KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline hiltonph

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 06:06:01 am »
Videos on oil change?

The filter is cheap.

I usually take a piece of foil and make a make shift funnel away from the exhaust into the container catching the oil. It works like a bomb and no oil is spilled or messed.

Kawasaki KLR650 / Honda varadero xl 1000v/ BMW r1100s / Aprilia Caponord etv 1000 / KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Rexc-w

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 06:32:48 am »
I've also used the Castrol on various other bikes in the past.  Wanted to use Motul 7100 this time but couldn't get.

I need to learn how to do valve clearance on my bike. Kind of sceptical abour the dealers.

Need to replace battery before our trip to Namibia next weekend. Any suggestions. MotoBatt?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rex
(KTM 1190 Adv R - 2013, KTM 300 XCW - 2016, Specialized Epic S-Works)

Offline hiltonph

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2019, 09:04:06 am »
I've also used the Castrol on various other bikes in the past.  Wanted to use Motul 7100 this time but couldn't get.

I need to learn how to do valve clearance on my bike. Kind of sceptical abour the dealers.

Need to replace battery before our trip to Namibia next weekend. Any suggestions. MotoBatt?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My battery died on me last year and replaced with the same yuasa xt14s as it lasted from 2013. It did well. When the bike is not in use i keep it on the optimate charger and seems it works well in maintaining the battery.

Regarding the clearances if you have someone with you that is competent the first time and you make notes and you follow every stepthe next time will be a breeze.

Offline Bligw

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Can't stop smiling
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 07:25:05 am »
I'm so proud of myself. Topped up the front breakfluid the other day  :peepwall:

Offline Moondog

• AKA : Tony
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 05:36:57 am »
I'm so proud of myself. Topped up the front breakfluid the other day  :peepwall:

Careful, you don't normally have to top up that fluid. If your pads are worn, when you replace them you will push the fluid up quite a bit, probably overflowing. Take some out the reservoir with a syringe before it pushes up too far.
Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline Pheiffer.M

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 09:52:47 am »
Valve clearance done , also did the fuel filters last night , Was surprised at how dirty the filters was, the teabag one was black ( new it is white) and the paper filter was just as dirty , but its done now . tonight we start to reassemble . should not take long to do .
 Will also do the brake fluid .
While everything was apart I cleaned  up , but that mite be a bit of a waste of time as when next on a ride dust will just get stuck on it again , but ocd says clean , so it was cleaned . Also gives one first hand chance to check all the areas and make sure its tight , and in good order .
Did you do the brake fluid on your  bike yet ? is it as simple as changing fluid on older bikes or cars, or is it a bit more complex ? the service manual make use of a pressure thingy

Offline NEON DEON

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 11:56:55 am »
We did the brake fluids as well , very easy , just as on old bikes and cars , drain bottle with pipe attached to the bleeder nipple and then open and bleed the old fluid out , top up with new . A bit of cleverness from my son ... He makes use of a plastic bottle to catch the old fluid , but before he attached the pipe to the nipple he squeezed the bottle to create vacuum , this helps to suck out the old fluid and if any some of the air bubbles , was a real quick job .

A blessing in disguise , after the job was done he told me that KTM has a software upgrade and I could bring the bike in to their workshop to have it done , decided that Saturday would be great to get it done just before our easter trip away . so arrangements made , I rode my bike to work on Friday , arriving at work I had a bit of oil smell/ smoke  coming up from the engine , thought is was just some spillage from us working on the motor , and did not worry about it , Rode home in the afternoon and when I got home found oil on my right boot with a couple of streaks of oil running down the motor, OIL LEAK ! , Checked the level and had not lost much , but was happy that I had ridden the bike before our trip , took it in to FAST on Saturday morning , he removed the tank and air-box and found that we had pinched a  O ring on the front tappet cover , It is the O ring on the plug tube and as the cover goes on it is easy to get this caught , Good Idea would be the grease the hole before refitting the cover , was not a problem , but could have been a huge hand brake on our upcoming trip , as I would have been on the road to Heidelberg or maybe even further before realizing there was a leak , then I would have had to turn back to have it repaired , with a loss of time
MORAL OF THE STORY
Do a test ride after any work done , make sure when fitting covers where O rings and seals are that lube is used to make the parts slip on nicely . And if mistakes are made use it as a learning curve , It is easy to make a mistake , nice to learn from it , I am sure , and it is not the first time he does shimming , to lube the covers when he refits them. 

The following users thanked this post: Pheiffer.M

Offline Pheiffer.M

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 01:28:44 pm »
We did the brake fluids as well , very easy , just as on old bikes and cars , drain bottle with pipe attached to the bleeder nipple and then open and bleed the old fluid out , top up with new . A bit of cleverness from my son ... He makes use of a plastic bottle to catch the old fluid , but before he attached the pipe to the nipple he squeezed the bottle to create vacuum , this helps to suck out the old fluid and if any some of the air bubbles , was a real quick job .

A blessing in disguise , after the job was done he told me that KTM has a software upgrade and I could bring the bike in to their workshop to have it done , decided that Saturday would be great to get it done just before our easter trip away . so arrangements made , I rode my bike to work on Friday , arriving at work I had a bit of oil smell/ smoke  coming up from the engine , thought is was just some spillage from us working on the motor , and did not worry about it , Rode home in the afternoon and when I got home found oil on my right boot with a couple of streaks of oil running down the motor, OIL LEAK ! , Checked the level and had not lost much , but was happy that I had ridden the bike before our trip , took it in to FAST on Saturday morning , he removed the tank and air-box and found that we had pinched a  O ring on the front tappet cover , It is the O ring on the plug tube and as the cover goes on it is easy to get this caught , Good Idea would be the grease the hole before refitting the cover , was not a problem , but could have been a huge hand brake on our upcoming trip , as I would have been on the road to Heidelberg or maybe even further before realizing there was a leak , then I would have had to turn back to have it repaired , with a loss of time
MORAL OF THE STORY
Do a test ride after any work done , make sure when fitting covers where O rings and seals are that lube is used to make the parts slip on nicely . And if mistakes are made use it as a learning curve , It is easy to make a mistake , nice to learn from it , I am sure , and it is not the first time he does shimming , to lube the covers when he refits them.

Thanks for the info appreciate

Offline hiltonph

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 02:17:08 pm »

MORAL OF THE STORY

A neat trick we learned regarding the bleeding of clutch& brakes you use a big syringe with pipe attached to the front that fits the bleeding nipples.

First suck out old fluid out of reservoir with another syringe and squirt into plastic container. With the syringe with the pipe on suck out new fluid out of container and make sure there are no air bubbles on the front and push over bleeding nipple. Slightly  loosen nipple and simply squirt new fluid into line and you will immediately see the old fluid filling the  reservoir again. Continue to do until all old fluid is out and only new fluid is visible. simply tighten nipple again and wipe off the drip when removing syringe. Its called Reverse bleeding and works awesome.

The following users thanked this post: Pheiffer.M

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2019, 10:42:50 am »
Deon what hydraulic oil did you use for the clutch/brakes?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline AfricaOffroad

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2019, 02:39:42 pm »
Videos on oil change?

Stu, Stu, Stu ... :patch:
2018 KTM 1290 T
2018 Husqvarna TE 300

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2019, 03:03:15 pm »
Videos on oil change?

Stu, Stu, Stu ... :patch:

Haha whats up?  :biggrin:

Offline hannesjp74

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2019, 08:45:02 am »
Just done the 30000km service on my 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure S at RAD. Ouch, R9780!... This is after I've done the brakes and brake fluid, air & petrol filter, as well as the chain slider. I have to add that I added the KTM powerparts orange chainring as extra.... So all in all, probably not that bad. RAD service great as usual...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:45:33 am by hannesjp74 »