Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Pillion  (Read 3306 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: New Pillion
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 09:42:33 am »
Some jealous guys here giving shit advice.
Ride like a twit. That way you put her off wanting to ride with you again,and your bike time stays sacred.
Yip I see my wife enough at home  :peepwall:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 10:10:02 am »
A mod on Riebeeck Kasteel

Go there through Wellington. Afterwards head to Strandkombuis Yzerfontein to watch the sun go down. SImple slab home. 3 hour round trip.

A longer one through the Boland (Helshoogte, Theewaterskloof) to Keinmond. Back past Rooiels. 4 hours round trip.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 10:31:58 am »
Keep it short and sweet - too long and bumsore and it will be the last pillion ride. Lots of stops. Ensure decent riding kit - borrow if necessary for her.  :ricky:
Quite honestly rather you than me - pillions not my fav.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 11:00:08 am »
Remember this is a new relationship in the making.
Keep the ride short and sweet.
Once she's the significant other, increase the ride duration and difficulty.
Ultimately you will find the balance between being able to ride on your own
and having an agter-oppie-sonder-toppie in the bed with you  overnight.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 11:17:42 am »
 :sip: No,no,no, she is already nervious, it will be tiring to be on the bike for hours, don't force het to like the bike. Ride from Blouberg to Melkbos (about 8 Km)
Take her to the Dailey oposite the Lapa or the Lapa if you're that commin (because Dirtreble goes there often, and you might bump into him).
Have a lekker chat, it's about breaking the socalled tension, and back to Blouberg. on the next outing you can do some of the suggestion here.
Take my word for it.  :3some: :bueller: :spitcoffee:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline K-9

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 11:43:01 am »
Stay on the tar.  Ride as if your granny is on the back, keep to just over the speed limit.

You want her back asking for more, don't try impress her, watch those gear changes, you don't want to bang helmets.

You don't have a good bike choice, so keep it short!!  just kidding!!

No as said keep it short, she must be begging for more.

She is nervous, but don't over do the good boy image too much. 

No wheelies even if she asks if you can do one.

No traffic splitting, it will make her more nervous. 

Help with sipping her jacket up and help her with the chin strap, shows you care and good place to make eye contact. 

Don't over do- the leg patting and don't do the front brake trick. (to get her to side forward), ask her to move forward to balance the bike.

Stay away from alcohol, at lunch say "I don't drink when I ride"  She will tell her parents and you are half way there.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:52:17 am by K-9 »
Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 11:55:05 am »
 :imaposer:

so much of advice....

I'll just say    :useless:
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 11:58:48 am »
Not much I can add. My wife has been riding pillion with me for 38 years. Never make your pillion angry or scare her.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline DIRT SKUNK

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Hit the road open the throttle
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 01:16:06 pm »
Your opening line should be where would you like to go??
that will give you and indications of her preferences I think a 3 hour jaunt might be a little to much even if she pillion'd before?
That how I approached the same scenario with Mandy
Now it's, Mandy says "I think we should take the bike for a ride"  and leaves the destination up to me at the moment the distances far but as she get more adventurous and comfortable as a pillion we will ride longer distances
QDE
DS
Love is? Tarmac, throttle wide open! and the pipes screeming like banshees
understanding "Madness does not always howl! Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey,  theres room in your head for one more?"
Honda 175XL rode, broke, fixed, then sold ;CB900 Bol'd'Or sold; BMW r100T & CB1100XX Super Blackbird

Offline Africanus

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 02:06:15 pm »
this will be our 1st solo outing and there's a bit of sexual tension,

Does she know about your broek vol planne?

Weren't you the same chap who gooied 8 times a weekend in different thread a while ago?

Run Sue run.

Offline Sam

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2019, 02:22:05 pm »
Your opening line should be where would you like to go??
that will give you and indications of her preferences I think a 3 hour jaunt might be a little to much even if she pillion'd before?
That how I approached the same scenario with Mandy
Now it's, Mandy says "I think we should take the bike for a ride"  and leaves the destination up to me at the moment the distances far but as she get more adventurous and comfortable as a pillion we will ride longer distances
QDE
DS

Why would you do that? It would be like asking her out to dinner, and then asking her where she'd like to eat (pleasssseee tell me you don't do that too.....) You're the one asking her to join your for a ride. They feel far more appreciative in the know that they're being included in something that you're doing - ie. you'd be doing it whether she was along for the ride or not. Lead. Build some suspense and anticipation.

Agreed with the keep it short story. Most riders dig riding, so spending hours with your own thoughts in your helmet is considered paradise. Not so much for the pillion / woman that you're taking along. They like talking......

Anyway - lifelong bachelor here, so my advice could probably be taken with a pinch of salt. (although, do head the "lead:, build suspense and anticipation" thing.....it works well)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 02:27:03 pm »
Here's a little something that worked for me...

Wife (who doesn't ride) said: "Why do you go off riding motorcycles?"

I answered: "My yearning to ride will always take me away from home and from you... but remember that you, my darling wife, are the reason why I always come back again!"  ;)
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Henardt

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2019, 02:33:05 pm »
And remember to wear the right gear ...

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2019, 03:14:49 pm »
You are halfway there with your bike choice   :biggrin:

But on a serious note and from a girl's perspective... don't do the usual touristy peninsula ride. Chances are she has probably done it and it's nothing new.

I second the Riebeek Kasteel route. It is a pretty route and the country atmosphere makes it a bit more romantic.

How can you compare a drive around the peninsula with a ride around the peninsula.. totally different experience.. interesting to hear a woman's perspective thouugh, personally i would have gone with the peninsula route or out to bettys bay side.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Mommy Fairy :)
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2019, 03:23:01 pm »
You are halfway there with your bike choice   :biggrin:

But on a serious note and from a girl's perspective... don't do the usual touristy peninsula ride. Chances are she has probably done it and it's nothing new.

I second the Riebeek Kasteel route. It is a pretty route and the country atmosphere makes it a bit more romantic.

How can you compare a drive around the peninsula with a ride around the peninsula.. totally different experience.. interesting to hear a woman's perspective thouugh, personally i would have gone with the peninsula route or out to bettys bay side.

Agree it is different, but still the same.

If they do the peninsula, they will probably stop at some point for lunch or a coffee and it would be at a fairly popular place, which would be busy and more than likely clinical...

I would opt for the countryside, where it is a bit quieter and time seems to stand still (always a good thing if you want a date to last)... but hey, that's just me.

Also, I am in agreement with Sam. You asked her to go with, so you decide where you are going. It makes the adventure a bit more adventurous and exciting. If she knows where she is going, then she will know what to expect.
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 04:42:35 pm »
I agree with most posts here that talk about make the ride shorter - If she enjoys it, the next can be longer - I would also give her a very short briefing on safety and that she should not be concerned to grab hold around your middle when she is feels unsafe - avoid the helmet bashes by riding smoothly - near the end you could warn her and demonstrate some acceleration - advise her to react as you do in corners, but take it easy - show you're a responsible dude, at least at 1st

The following users thanked this post: Dupie2

Offline 8 min Mark

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 05:20:46 pm »
A top box makes a pillion feel less likely to fall off the back of the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes no difference to me what you ride, as long as you ride!

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 05:28:08 pm »

OK - remember it from my misspent youth  :lol8:

I was last there in the early 70's.
(My bod looked a little different then.)
I am most certainly a closet naturist / nudist.

SUPRISE!!!!!!
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline hugh101

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 05:56:10 pm »
I had the same situation a couple of years ago
I organised her some kit(helmet; jacket)
Picked her up in Stellenbosch; over helshoogte; Franschoek Pass ( stopped for sightseeing and comfort break)
Then around Theewaterskloof; Van Der Stel Pass, HouwhoekPass, over the Highlands
Grabbed lunch is Kleinmond and a walk on the beach and then home via Clarence drive.

Ride slowly and stop alot and take pics
Also ride a 1150GSA ;chicks dig it :imaposer: :imaposer:
The said girl still rides with me ;)
"a wise man has money in his head but not in his heart"-Johnathan Swift
Bmw 1150 GSA
Bmw  RnineT
Honda CTX 200 bushlander "bosbulletjie" sold
F 650 gs

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 06:12:09 pm »
:sip: No,no,no, she is already nervious, it will be tiring to be on the bike for hours, don't force het to like the bike. Ride from Blouberg to Melkbos (about 8 Km)
Take her to the Dailey oposite the Lapa or the Lapa if you're that commin (because Dirtreble goes there often, and you might bump into him).
Have a lekker chat, it's about breaking the socalled tension, and back to Blouberg. on the next outing you can do some of the suggestion here.
Take my word for it.  :3some: :bueller: :spitcoffee:

I agree  :thumleft:. 8 km max for a first time in a long timer . She is going to stress heavily as it is.

Rather leave her wanting more.  It's just bike foreplay for her now , she must see if she likes riding with you first. Women are fussy like that.

( oops I think this may have come out wrong  :lol8: )