Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GPS Y2K  (Read 620 times)

Offline DR BIG 750

GPS Y2K
« on: April 05, 2019, 07:00:16 am »
I heard a radio report that GPS systems will switch off on sat night for a while, a new satellite is being launched or replacing old one . something like that so new gps units will need new software updates, but older garmin tom tom etc, need a whole new someting board or some hardware kak(not a techno geek0  or the older systems wont work. can anyone elaborate or is it another story where not much changes on monday
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

The following users thanked this post: Sabre

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: GPS Y2K
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 07:55:50 am »
Blykbaar net die datum wat gaan verander, verder sal alles nog werk!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline zagser

• Just another
  • Bike: Honda XR600
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 09:31:03 am »
It depends on the support for your device from the manufacturer.
Older GPS devices will still work, provided the manufacturer releases a firmware update, so that it will be able to handle the new date format.
My parents use a TomTom gps which is about 5 years old, and they have received a notification that the GPS's firmware needs to be updated to keep on working.
I helped with the update which was painless.

According to the below link you should be safe if your device is less than 10 years old more or less, but

https://liliputing.com/2019/02/old-gps-devices-may-stop-working-properly-in-april.html

A bit more detail on what this is about from the US homeland security website:

https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Memorandum_on_GPS_2019.pdf

The following users thanked this post: Africanus

Offline ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 09:42:43 am »
So, this is what's happening, and I quote from another website:

GPS week roll over April 6th

On April 6th, the GPS week counter rolls over and resets to zero. This change may affect Industrial Control Systems (ICSs) and Critical Infrastructure (CI) owners and operators.

This rollover may affect log time stamp information, loss of communication between devices, inability to authenticate multi-factor authentication, or the ability to log in to computers.

What is GPS time and what’s changing?
GPS time is represented by a week number and a number counting seconds into the week. The week counter is stored as a 10-bit number; meaning the value of the week number field can be between 0 and 1023.

On April 6th, the week’s field number will have reached 1023, and will roll over from 1023 to 0. Depending on the manufacturer of the GPS receiver, or versions of firmware, a GPS receiver may be affected by this roll over.

GPS Clocks may display inaccurate date and time information, such as rolling time back to the previous Epoch (August 21, 1999), and GPS Navigation Systems may be affected.

The GPS week counter started at 0 on January 6th, 1980. Since then, the week counter has reached its maximum and been reset once, last occurring on August 21, 1999. The next occurrence of the GPS week rollover for GPS clocks with 10-bit week numbers following April 6th 2019 will be November 20, 2038.

Modernised GPS clocks, and GPS navigation systems may be released with a 13-bit week field, allowing up to 8192 weeks, instead of 1023 weeks, before rolling over to 0. This will increase the time between GPS week roll overs from approximately 20 years, to around 150 years.

I do not think your average end-user will experience any issues with this rollover.  To give you an idea - DJI (one of the leading drone manufacturers) released as statement saying that their drones (which relies on GPS lock) will not be affected by the rollover.
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 09:46:28 am »
Statement on Garmin Website:

Quote from: Garmin
Garmin GPS Week Number Rollover Statement
What is the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO)?

The GPS system is world renowned for its ability to provide accurate and reliable positioning and timing information worldwide. The GPS satellites transmit to users the date and time accurate to nanoseconds. However, back in 1980, when the GPS system first began to keep track of time, the date and time was represented by a counter that could only count forward to a maximum of 1024 weeks, or about 19.7 years. After 1024 weeks had elapsed, this counter “rolled over” to zero, and GPS time started counting forward again.  This first rollover occurred in August of 1999. The second rollover will occur on April 6, 2019.

Is My Device Affected?

For many years, Garmin has anticipated and prepared for this event. Regardless, Garmin has been performing exhaustive testing of current and legacy devices to determine if they will be affected by the GPS week number rollover.  Our testing shows the vast majority of Garmin GPS devices will handle the WNRO without issues.

What is the Effect of a GPS Week Number Rollover Issue?

For GPS devices that are affected, after the rollover occurs, an incorrect date and time will be displayed. This incorrect time will also be used to timestamp track logs, compute sunrise and sunset, and other functions that rely upon the correct date and time. However, the positioning accuracy will not be affected. The device will continue to deliver the same positioning performance as before the rollover.

https://support.garmin.com/ms-MY/?faq=zWQY6Z2kFiAuY9kDnDBgZ6
#33 #BRADICAL!

The following users thanked this post: Sabre, Bundu

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 12:17:13 pm »
I checked my ZUMO 660 this morning - removed and replaced battery, clock showed 02:00 and as soon as it synced with satellites, it showed the right time - so all seems to be fine  :thumleft:

Online IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 04:50:08 am »
I have two identical Etrex Vista Hcx. The one I use most often is living in 8/4/2019, the other one and my 60CSx are living in 22/8/1999. I can't ever remember doing a firmware update but I suppose I must have done one on the one that can tell the date!
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Online IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 05:24:33 am »
I see the answer is to leave them outside and running until they have updated their almanac. The 60csx has caught up overnight and I'm sure the Etrex will soon.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline GRIM

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 07:45:39 am »
Yep, I have an etrex Legend and Venture from the mid 90's, and they probably haven't been switched on in a lot more than a decade.
powered them up, left them out to do their thin, and everything seems to be working fine.
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 10:39:11 am »
The only definite problems that I have seen is the Gekko series, Garmin admits they are a problem and given the age they will not be sorting them out.