Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the Ride Reports section dying?  (Read 6870 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Is the Ride Reports section dying?
« on: April 05, 2019, 09:30:49 am »
I see guests still don't have access to the forum. And checking last posts there really isn't a lot of active threads here.

Are we all just to interested in the for sale section?

This really saddens me, I remember 5 years ago I was living in the RP section, it got me amped to to get out and push my comfort zone, it helped me with planning and helped me to sell ideas and plans. Now it seems to be dying a slow death?

I would call it the heart of the forum actually...
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

The following users thanked this post: eberhard

Online Noneking

Re: Is the Ride Reports section dying?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 09:53:13 am »
I see guests still don't have access to the forum. And checking last posts there really isn't a lot of active threads here.

Are we all just to interested in the for sale section?

This really saddens me, I remember 5 years ago I was living in the RP section, it got me amped to to get out and push my comfort zone, it helped me with planning and helped me to sell ideas and plans. Now it seems to be dying a slow death?

I would call it the heart of the forum actually...

Not sure whether it has anything to do with the access to ride reports for non-members but also noticed a decline in quality ride reports.

Unfortunately a large percentage of the guys that are really active on the forum seem to have very little or no interest in adv biking. Trying to be funny, using foul language, racism and insulting strangers  seem to be their priority on here and one has to wonder how this impacts the average Joe who has no interest in the drivel being posted.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:54:29 am by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

The following users thanked this post: Ian in Great Brak River, Vocifer

Online Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 10:03:11 am »
I must say that I have not posted a ride report.

But to be honest I have not gone on a big/long trip where I could report back.

Most trips so far are weekend trips and I feel that a weekend trip is not "worthy" of reporting back.

One pager seems silly
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 10:06:00 am »
It takes a lot of time to put together a good RR - I used to do it many years ago but don't anymore ... I can't really say why I don't because I don't know ...I just don't feel like doing it

Nobody expects reward or adulation for a ride report and those that do it do it for different reasons

At least there are still members here like Xpat who really take the time to share their trips with us

This forum has changed radically - I have been a member for 12 years - in the beginning it was small and very close knit but as time goes by it has grown tremendously - if anything there should be more epic ride reports
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:08:32 am by JustBendIt »
The older I get the faster I was

The following users thanked this post: Hinksding

Offline Chairman Meow

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:07:42 am »
Maybe many are just riding less and face it after almost 2 decades most roads have been covered by someone one way or another... I mean how many reports can be written of the same old places.

.... Or maybe the more serious adventurers have moved over to that "other" DS forum.  :peepwall:

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 10:10:08 am »
It is all about money or the lack of it. People do not have the amount of money to spend on fuel and camping like a few years back and their lives have changed and they have gotten older and so have their children and they have to spend their free time next to the sportsfields on weekends.
I do miss the days after the June/July holidays when there were 4-5 Namibia ride reports to be read at once :thumleft: :(
Sadly I have not done a RR in a while too, but they were boring anyway. :(
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 10:19:15 am »
.... Or maybe the more serious adventurers have moved over to that "other" DS forum.  :peepwall:

You mean the Roam Africa forum ?                  http://www.roamafrica.co.za/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

That forum was a noble idea, but they also pulled the plug on it.  R. I. P Roam Africa  :bueller:

Offline Chairman Meow

• Obey the Kitty
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 10:22:35 am »
It is all about money or the lack of it. People do not have the amount of money to spend on fuel and camping like a few years back and their lives have changed and they have gotten older and so have their children and they have to spend their free time next to the sportsfields on weekends.
I do miss the days after the June/July holidays when there were 4-5 Namibia ride reports to be read at once :thumleft: :(

Spot on... Think you nailed it.

Offline Chairman Meow

• Obey the Kitty
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 10:23:20 am »

You mean the Roam Africa forum ?                  http://www.roamafrica.co.za/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

That forum was a noble idea, but they also pulled the plug on it.  R. I. P Roam Africa  :bueller:

Wow... Never knew.. Only checked it out once... Sad

Online Lem

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 10:25:09 am »
Molten, Thanks for starting a very relevant thread, about a topic that is near the heart for me.

I hope it's not dying, but merely evolving, but it feels as if it is dying.

There are several reasons for this, one of which Noneking mentions above.

It was the ride report section that introduced me to this forum. In September 2009 a regular riding buddy had a bad crash in southern Namibia. His friends dealt with the trauma and finished the trip and later wrote about it. It was the only post that guy ever made. My beaten up friend sent me the link and I joined the forum because of that report.

I think one of the biggest reasons for the decline is the fact that there are too many social media platforms in existence. It makes sharing things too easy, too quick, too convenient to make you care about what you share. 10-12 years ago we didn't have a WD Facebook page, we didn't have Tapatalk, we didn't have Instagram, we didn't do our ride planning merely by means of watsapp groups, we actually planned & invited fellow riders along on the planning a ride section. We didn't have GoPros to simply take a video, so we stop for less photographs. Few of us had GPS & mapsource, we asked each other for routes. Almost none of us had our own blogs as well. These days it's simply too easy to just not care.

All of these extra social media platforms creates noise in our lives. Several of my friends are deleting watsapp, deleting their facebook accounts simply because it makes friendship cheap and creates just another irritating notification noise on our phones.

This then creates a chain of events. Several of the ride report pioneers like Metaljockey, Dorsland and many others leave the forum for several  personal reasons, due to this "noise"

I am just as guilty. I love writing and I still do the stuff that makes me want to write about it. But to put my name on a quality intellectual product, readable by a few Afrikaans & English okes takes time. It's not time I don't have, it simply is time I don't spoil myself with. I used to ride 40kms on a Friday afternoon around Durbanville and write about it.These days it's just too easy to share that one pic on Facebook.  But then when I have difficult days in the office and I need time out I then go back to some of my old reports and then realise the joy it gave me in doing the trip & writing about it.

Another reason I can think of is how the biking hobby evolves for every one of us. For instance many started out on big tourers, did trips, wrote about them but due to kids & life happening they now enjoy Enduro for instance. And nobody is gonna write about their saturday at Zone7. Another example is going from riding bikes & touring on them to buiding, reparing, restoring & customising bikes. These guys are still bike mad, they just don't ride as often anymore and enjoy the fiddling more. Less riding = less ride reports.

Then there is the fact that many of us enjoy certain routes. One can never grow tired of riding to Cederberg Oasis for instance. But all of us has been there now, so when we go again we don't even tell anyone anymore.

But ja, as Noneking touched upon...opening the forum each day in anticipation of something biking related...you get to a place that it littered with negativity & a shitload of R&P threads by the same 10 people merely ticking the board over like the flight boards at an airport.

I think everyone needs to go ride again, stop for photographs & share them with us again on a ride report. Doesn't have to be long, or Deon Meyer literature approved, just share them here. I will read, enjoy & comment that I did  :deal:

Speaking of which...I'm pulling out the 1200 in the next hour to go to Paarl. Will gooi a pic in the "where has your bike taken you today" thread  :deal:

Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

The following users thanked this post: Operator, BlueBull2007, Kerritz, Plaasseun

Offline Operator

• Forum Whore
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 10:31:18 am »
Nevermind Ride Reports.........................in the end this going the route of, and will end up with an ultimate discussion about the "state of the forum"

The following users thanked this post: Kerritz

Offline Matewis

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 10:37:29 am »

Dis so waar Chris. Destyds het ek geklim en gery. Nou moet bike trips vooruit beplan word. My dogtertjie nou 6 en spandeer meer tyd in die kar/bakkie as op die bike. Maar. Wanneer ek die slag ry is dit 'n naweek en doen ek rondom 1000-1500km. Het nou huis ook gekoop, vuurwapens aangeskaf so aansienlik minder geld om op die hobbies te spandeer!
“Don’t go where the path my lead…  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Operator

• Forum Whore
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 10:39:22 am »
Goeie post Lem  :thumleft:

Online Lem

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 10:41:02 am »
Nevermind Ride Reports.........................in the end this going the route of, and will end up with an ultimate discussion about the "state of the forum"

+1

which will lead to more valuable, experienced contributors leaving
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Chairman Meow

• Obey the Kitty
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 10:45:38 am »
+1Lem...well written and probably all true.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 10:47:12 am »
+1Lem...well written and probably all true.
BTW waas jou RR oor laas naweek se Rooiberg bymekaarkom? :peepwall: ;) ;) :pot: :lol8:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: SteveD

Offline DanieW

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 10:54:44 am »
Tend to agree..

I recently joined the forum to look for like-minded individuals with which to share motorcycle related banter, rides, and most likely a bit sentimental but comradery.

Adventure...explore.... discovery... being words that spring to mind of what I hoped to find. Don't get me wrong, I found some interesting threads and have created my own in the time I have been on. I do believe there is a wealth of information on here and some information not even on here yet cause the right thread hasn't been created.

But I do find there is an increase of "rubbish" threads about religion (or lack of), political stand points and the forum is kinda losing the "value" of the motorcycle heritage.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 11:17:14 am »
I remember(my memory is still ok) the excitement before each National Bash. The two days riding there and two back.
All of them being great and spent in great company.
How else would I have ever visited Boegoeberg se dam and seen the horror of ETS in his Crogs. :lol8: :eek7:
Till this day the owners of Fiddlers Creek still ask me when are we having a bash there again.
Those were the days :thumleft:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline alwyn_gs

• Gelände/Strasse - Knight in White Satin (R1200GSA LC)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • With my loving wife, Michelle - let's do this!!
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 11:20:16 am »
Dink die wereld het verval in me myself and I... en niemand sien die son oor n ander se gat skyn nie... en die WD forum neig ook in daai rigting. Aan die begin was dit awesome!  (2011/2 gejoin) Biere op vrydag middag.. saam gaan ry. Dit het  nie saak gemaak wat jy ry nie, en nie "my opinie op ander afdwing nie" was so erg soos dit nou is nie.  Moet erken die brand bashing ding vang my! Elke ou doen sy eie ding op sy eie manier - en dit moet respekteer word.

Het wel opgetel die ouens in die Kaap wil net bike ry... en partykeer is ek so bietjie jaloers op hulle samesyn en die mooi area's op hul agterstoep....

Ek is nou nie deel van die "click" hier nie... glo die lewe word op die fiets in die buitelug gelewe, en nie voor n rekenaar nie, so dalk is my "forum" presence nie so pertinent en ek wys nie as ek my fiets se brake pads change in my groenstoep vloer geverfde tappet  garage nie... hoe se Michelle - ek fiddle gedurig aan die fietse

Wel ek doen nog ride reports... MAAR vir my self! En dit blyk ook so, want daar is nie baie comments nie. Meh, maak nie saak nie. Kom loer in elk geval seker nou 1-2 week hier in anyways

Dit vat n rukkie om so n ride report te doen, en dis vir my lekker, om die fotos bymekaar te maak tussen die 2 fone, te verwerk, in volgorde te sit, en dan te verwoord.

Erens kry ek so gier, en dan gaan blaai ek deur al die ride reports en sien - "fokket dis lekker of dual sport bike te ry"  :thumright:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:22:33 am by alwyn_gs »
RR:Sani 2013, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=131550.0, Honeymoon 2014 http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=153612.0
Livinstone Lite 2014, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=162532.0, Om Lesotho 2014, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=168999.0
Skoeters : Knight in White Satin (R1200GSA LC), Military Fuel Tanker (R1200GSA AC 142 690km - decommisioned)
G650XMoto, G650XCountry-pilotted by Michelle

The following users thanked this post: Shangali, Lem, Noneking, Grunder, Willem55

Offline Matewis

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 11:21:30 am »
Tend to agree..

I recently joined the forum to look for like-minded individuals with which to share motorcycle related banter, rides, and most likely a bit sentimental but comradery.

Adventure...explore.... discovery... being words that spring to mind of what I hoped to find. Don't get me wrong, I found some interesting threads and have created my own in the time I have been on. I do believe there is a wealth of information on here and some information not even on here yet cause the right thread hasn't been created.

But I do find there is an increase of "rubbish" threads about religion (or lack of), political stand points and the forum is kinda losing the "value" of the motorcycle heritage.

ek het die religion en politics sommer net geblok. Uit die staanspoor. Ek is hier om oor my bike te leer en te lees en nuwe roetes te explore.

That said: 'n Ride report neem tyd om aanmekaar te sit. Na 'n biketrip slaap en net tot 3:00 in die oggend en dan begin skryf ek. Gewoonlik gaan dit so tot ek die ride-report klaar het en dan keer my slaappatroon terug na normaal. My laaste ride report was seker die 1150 Bash laasjaar Oktober!!!

Weer tyd dat ek slag ry.
“Don’t go where the path my lead…  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/