Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the Ride Reports section dying?  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
Re: Is the Ride Reports section dying?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 11:24:00 am »
Maybe this thread is a wake-up call to go back to the roots...to go out and ride.

Like I said, I haven't written any ride reports because weekend trips feels a waste.  I look at the big ride reports and they make me think that weekend trips are trivial.  But I think I am/was missing the point.  I'm a commuter so I am on the bike daily.  Every weekend I don't get a chance to go out I tell my wife I can't wait for Monday morning to get back on the bike.  That is the attitude we must go out there with.  Go out and ride and share the joy of it with others!!
Even if the same place is explored by someone else, each of us have a different interpretation of the place explored. 

One of the best ride reports I read an enjoyed was the one where someone was picking up a car in Eastern Cape and driving it back to Gauteng.
I can't remember now who wrote it, but I really enjoyed it.  And it was not even a bike related ride report  :biggrin:

I might be rambling on now, but like @DanieW  said, the idea is that we are like-minded people who share one passion...motorcycles...
No matter where they take us  :ricky:

honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 11:29:00 am »
 because weekend trips feels a waste.

They are not cause through them we see parts of SA we do not get to see. So your backyard might not be interesting to you, but it is to me/us. :thumleft: :deal:

Moet net nie foto's post van elke bar waar jy stop en niks tussenin!!! Dit is/was Stoetbul speciallity!! :deal: ;) :lol8: :lol8:
Ek mis die ou siel :(
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 11:31:13 am »
I see guests still don't have access to the forum.

This is not true, guests do have access to the Ride Report section.

It is just sections such as Jou Ma and the For Sale sections that are only open to members.
How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?

Offline NEON DEON

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 11:38:34 am »
I am relatively new to this forum, member for about 15 months now , enjoy both the planning rides and RR , threads , has been an inspiration . I have been riding for near 40 years, first couple of years on thumpers , and the balance on sport-bikes , Must say I am enjoying my 1190. puts a smile on my dial and cant wait for my next trip , we are hardly home and the planning starts again .
I never stopped riding, but for about 6 years got seriously involved with 4x4  own 2 modified jeeps, served on the jeep club committee , same happened , driving up and down dirt humps was just no challenge anymore and after completing Carnage canyon for the 3rd time , I found that I was looking for bigger challenges and not everyone was on the same page , did not  want to go to the pipe car scene , Adventure bike with panniers seemed to be the way to experience life , and I/we have been enjoying the bike , At least one trip away every month ,For us a new enjoyment , but to write about it in a way that can promote the same experience we had on the trip takes a special kind of skill ,
Those that have the penmanship to do so , makes  for good reading .

Offline Grunder

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 11:40:15 am »

Het wel opgetel die ouens in die Kaap wil net bike ry... en partykeer is ek so bietjie jaloers op hulle samesyn en die mooi area's op hul agterstoep....

Ek is net so jaloers.

Hier is nie baie manne in Bloem area wat ek kan sien nie.

Sou lekker wees as die local manne bietjie kon saamry.

Die manne in die Kaap doen iets reg  :thumleft:
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

Offline Grunder

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 11:44:48 am »
I am relatively new to this forum, member for about 15 months now , enjoy both the planning rides and RR , threads , has been an inspiration . I have been riding for near 40 years, first couple of years on thumpers , and the balance on sport-bikes , Must say I am enjoying my 1190. puts a smile on my dial and cant wait for my next trip , we are hardly home and the planning starts again .
I never stopped riding, but for about 6 years got seriously involved with 4x4  own 2 modified jeeps, served on the jeep club committee , same happened , driving up and down dirt humps was just no challenge anymore and after completing Carnage canyon for the 3rd time , I found that I was looking for bigger challenges and not everyone was on the same page , did not  want to go to the pipe car scene , Adventure bike with panniers seemed to be the way to experience life , and I/we have been enjoying the bike , At least one trip away every month ,For us a new enjoyment , but to write about it in a way that can promote the same experience we had on the trip takes a special kind of skill ,
Those that have the penmanship to do so , makes  for good reading

I agree with you but also disagree.

Some have great skills yes!! And reading their reports have a certain flow to them. 

But you don't have to be a good writer to put thought to paper.

Most of us here are average Joe's and would be able to relate to what another average Joe writes.  I enjoyed your last ride report  :thumleft:
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

The following users thanked this post: NEON DEON

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 11:48:18 am »
Chris and Lem has touched on most of my feelings about it as well.

The ride report used to be (for me anyway) as much part of the trip as the days ahead of it working with maps and planning it was.

Sort of like the 'life cycle of a trip' - plan/execute/report
:-)

In the beginning I even wrote a ride report for a lunch time break that I had up Paarl Rock once.
And I enjoyed doing that (just about) as much as I did the really big tours my wife and I did.

To me there's a couple of things that changed.
The 1st is what have been mentioned. I don't do nearly as many 'leisure' km's as I used to.
And when I do it is to places that have been covered quite a lot.
(Or just a brekfis run for a morning)

The 2nd reason is that in the beginning (I joined in January 2007) everything was magical and 'intense'
The 1st time my wife and I went on gravel
The 1st time I took the the 1100 on the backroads between Ladismith and Montagu
The 1st time I did Baviaans or 'Die Hel'
1st time doing a 'proper' technical 4x4 route
1st time hitting the road with just the luggage and my wife on the bike and returning 2 weeks later, having traveled through roads and places that we didn't even knew existed before we got there.

The intense 'emotional response' that goes along with a '1st experience' made it easy to write about it and even easier to actually do the effort. It was about reliving the experience and if anyone read about it or not was a side issue.

I am not 'blazŤ' about a place like Baviaans - I've been there 5 times (3 with my wife), but even as majestic and awesome as it is (and as much as I will never get tired of it and enjoy it every time), nothing gets close to the '1st time'.

Reason 2b (kinda goes with #2) is that the same goes for the actual ride reports on the RR section. There's not much 'new' happening, so reading about 'Gysmanshoek', Baviaans or Die Hel isn't read with the same awe and 'hunger' for new places and knowledge like it used to be.

Reason 3 is that the way I travel/tour has changed over the years.
I am extremely jealous of the 2wheel/dust road time that I do have and therefor I do it quite often alone (or with a very close-knit group of friends that I know are on the same page as me).
My 'needs' from a trip also changed a bit and where before I would constantly be on the lookout for a 'photo opportunity' I now don't even take a camera with.
It is very cool to have memories, but leaving the camera at home has caused me to be waaaay more 'in the moment'. I come back from rides like that more relaxed.
And then also - no photos, no ride report

Reason 4 (also kinda ties in to 1 and 2) is that I don't really feel that there's anything I can contribute that hasn't been written/contributed before.

Reason 5 is my personal opinion about the 'state of the forum', but I don't feel this is the thread for that (and even if it was, I also feel that I have nothing to contribute that haven't been said)
It is sad, 'cause I do remember how I couldn't wait to see something new pop up in the RR section and how that made me feel 12 years ago.

But it is also I suppose the way of the world:
Things change, needs change, people change.

I very rarely go into the RR section anymore, so I suppose in a sense I am contributing to the problem as well - no audience, no comments and ride reports slip away to the 2nd page and beyond very quickly.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

The following users thanked this post: Lem

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 12:06:34 pm »
I remember(my memory is still ok) the excitement before each National Bash. The two days riding there and two back.
All of them being great and spent in great company.
How else would I have ever visited Boegoeberg se dam and seen the horror of ETS in his Crogs. :lol8: :eek7:
Till this day the owners of Fiddlers Creek still ask me when are we having a bash there again.
Those were the days :thumleft:

You are also 100% spot on.
I remember the MAJOR excitement of planning to go to my 1st WD bash  (that was 2007 in Hogsback)
Hell - I even started a new job about a month before it and in the interview I already mentioned that I wanted to have half that Thursday, the Friday and the Monday off.
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 12:18:11 pm »
But you don't have to be a good writer to put thought to paper.

Jy kan maar net foto's post ook, WDs is nie groot lesers tussen foto's ;) :lol8:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 12:21:06 pm »
Ride Reports is a section of the forum that is very close to my heart, and certainly one that I regard as the most important of the forum.

Sadly, I think that view is not shared by most members of the forum.

Why are there not as many Ride Reports being posted on the forum as there used to be?

I think there are a few reasons, some of which we can control and some we can't.

Let's face it, a Ride Report takes a lot of effort to post. First of all there's taking the time on the ride to stop and take pics of the scenery etc, which can be a pain in the ass to do, much easier and more fun just to ride with your mates and not worry to stop the whole time for pics. Then is the actual writing of the report, the downsizing of the pics to the correct size, and the painstaking posting of each picture. And once you have spent a few hours writing and posting the report you get 3 or 4 comments and maybe 100 views, whereas some inane post in Jou Ma will get 100's of views and go on for pages and pages. So you just have to wonder if posting a ride report is really worth the effort involved. Far easier to post a few pics on FaceBook where all your non-WD member mates and family will see it.

Take this Ride Report for example:       http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234817.60

This was an awesome Ride Report, stacks of great pictures and interesting well researched facts, yet only 4 members bothered to leave comments.

The only reason that I still bother do Ride Reports on the forum is that it is great way of preserving the memories of all the trips that I have done, enabling me to go back and re-live all those memories made over the past 13 odd years of doing ride reports.

Not many people have the luxury of taking weeks or months off to go and explore Africa on their bikes, so if you just head off for a day ride on your own or with mates into the mountains, stop and take a few pics and do a short Ride Report about it on the Monday morning and tell us about it, some of us are interested and appreciate it.

Moaning about the lack of Ride Reports on the forum yet never posting anything yourself is not going to solve anything.

How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?

The following users thanked this post: Lem

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2019, 12:27:56 pm »
only done 2 RRs   :(  and these days I get half a day's ride in on the weekends if I'm lucky...   :'(

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Knucklhead

• aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 12:35:22 pm »
Molten, Thanks for starting a very relevant thread, about a topic that is near the heart for me.

I hope it's not dying, but merely evolving, but it feels as if it is dying.

There are several reasons for this, one of which Noneking mentions above.

It was the ride report section that introduced me to this forum. In September 2009 a regular riding buddy had a bad crash in southern Namibia. His friends dealt with the trauma and finished the trip and later wrote about it. It was the only post that guy ever made. My beaten up friend sent me the link and I joined the forum because of that report.

I think one of the biggest reasons for the decline is the fact that there are too many social media platforms in existence. It makes sharing things too easy, too quick, too convenient to make you care about what you share. 10-12 years ago we didn't have a WD Facebook page, we didn't have Tapatalk, we didn't have Instagram, we didn't do our ride planning merely by means of watsapp groups, we actually planned & invited fellow riders along on the planning a ride section. We didn't have GoPros to simply take a video, so we stop for less photographs. Few of us had GPS & mapsource, we asked each other for routes. Almost none of us had our own blogs as well. These days it's simply too easy to just not care.

All of these extra social media platforms creates noise in our lives. Several of my friends are deleting watsapp, deleting their facebook accounts simply because it makes friendship cheap and creates just another irritating notification noise on our phones.

This then creates a chain of events. Several of the ride report pioneers like Metaljockey, Dorsland and many others leave the forum for several  personal reasons, due to this "noise"

I am just as guilty. I love writing and I still do the stuff that makes me want to write about it. But to put my name on a quality intellectual product, readable by a few Afrikaans & English okes takes time. It's not time I don't have, it simply is time I don't spoil myself with. I used to ride 40kms on a Friday afternoon around Durbanville and write about it.These days it's just too easy to share that one pic on Facebook.  But then when I have difficult days in the office and I need time out I then go back to some of my old reports and then realise the joy it gave me in doing the trip & writing about it.

Another reason I can think of is how the biking hobby evolves for every one of us. For instance many started out on big tourers, did trips, wrote about them but due to kids & life happening they now enjoy Enduro for instance. And nobody is gonna write about their saturday at Zone7. Another example is going from riding bikes & touring on them to buiding, reparing, restoring & customising bikes. These guys are still bike mad, they just don't ride as often anymore and enjoy the fiddling more. Less riding = less ride reports.

Then there is the fact that many of us enjoy certain routes. One can never grow tired of riding to Cederberg Oasis for instance. But all of us has been there now, so when we go again we don't even tell anyone anymore.

But ja, as Noneking touched upon...opening the forum each day in anticipation of something biking related...you get to a place that it littered with negativity & a shitload of R&P threads by the same 10 people merely ticking the board over like the flight boards at an airport.

I think everyone needs to go ride again, stop for photographs & share them with us again on a ride report. Doesn't have to be long, or Deon Meyer literature approved, just share them here. I will read, enjoy & comment that I did  :deal:

Speaking of which...I'm pulling out the 1200 in the next hour to go to Paarl. Will gooi a pic in the "where has your bike taken you today" thread  :deal:

spot on  my bud

Offline OomD

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 12:36:56 pm »
I must say that it is the ride reports that got me going to various different places, if only to experience first-hand the magic that a ride report described. I used to diligently report on my rides too, but I must admit I have nowhere near the skills needed to capture someone's imagination with a ride report, and get them to wish they were there.

I love those types of ride reports, where you almost feel like you're part of the trip. But, my skills lay elsewhere (the little that there is) so I think I tend to bore most readers with my reports.

Nonetheless they are a valuable source of information and enjoyed reading. Especially with lots of photos. Throw in a bit of humour or perhaps a twist to the tale, or any unexpected situation that actually makes it an adventure and you have a magical way of passing the time.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 12:47:51 pm »
Ride Reports is a section of the forum that is very close to my heart, and certainly one that I regard as the most important of the forum.

Sadly, I think that view is not shared by most members of the forum.

Why are there not as many Ride Reports being posted on the forum as there used to be?

I think there are a few reasons, some of which we can control and some we can't.

Let's face it, a Ride Report takes a lot of effort to post. First of all there's taking the time on the ride to stop and take pics of the scenery etc, which can be a pain in the ass to do, much easier and more fun just to ride with your mates and not worry to stop the whole time for pics. Then is the actual writing of the report, the downsizing of the pics to the correct size, and the painstaking posting of each picture. And once you have spent a few hours writing and posting the report you get 3 or 4 comments and maybe 100 views, whereas some inane post in Jou Ma will get 100's of views and go on for pages and pages. So you just have to wonder if posting a ride report is really worth the effort involved. Far easier to post a few pics on FaceBook where all your non-WD member mates and family will see it.

Take this Ride Report for example:       http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234817.60

This was an awesome Ride Report, stacks of great pictures and interesting well researched facts, yet only 4 members bothered to leave comments.

The only reason that I still bother do Ride Reports on the forum is that it is great way of preserving the memories of all the trips that I have done, enabling me to go back and re-live all those memories made over the past 13 odd years of doing ride reports.

Not many people have the luxury of taking weeks or months off to go and explore Africa on their bikes, so if you just head off for a day ride on your own or with mates into the mountains, stop and take a few pics and do a short Ride Report about it on the Monday morning and tell us about it, some of us are interested and appreciate it.

Moaning about the lack of Ride Reports on the forum yet never posting anything yourself is not going to solve anything.

Absolutely! Writing an RR is my way of reliving a lekker trip by firstly writing the RR and then going back to it every now and then........

2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Grunder

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2019, 12:49:09 pm »

En die man het 4 bladsye se photos gepost  :(
Voel nou bietjie sleg...

Ek het wel gelees en gekyk. Net nie gepost nie.
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2019, 12:50:49 pm »

Pretty much all the reasons for not doing RR's are covered - but the reason for doing as above is pretty much spot on!

For not doing a RR, also, as above - in my case, its time & money - running a business sucks money and time like nothing i have ever know, there just isnt spare loot for a dash to Clarens for a long weekend, nor the time! Sad, but true - and as mentioned right at the beginning, I am one of those that builds bikes inbetween as well, so that eats into free time as well, not that the wife minds me being at home...

BUT, I still make a plan to dash off to my "local" route (370km round trip to Loskop from Benoni) about every 6 weeks or so, and its still a wonderful, relaxing, picturesque, free ride - I normally go by myself, mainly because I like my own company, and have a picnic on a bridge or something, but like everyone else, guilty of not taking the time to take a few pics....

I will endevour to improve!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2019, 02:10:11 pm »
I have shared a few of our rides as reports on this forum, and its something I enjoy, but things have changed somewhat in my life, I often still get cal;ls from various dogs inviting me to join them on a trip somewhere.
The last trip I did was almost a year ago, to the EC Bash, we used to try and fit in at least 2 trips a year.
And I didnt do a report for that one, time just got the better of me, it really does eat up a lot of time to put a report together, I dont just share a bunch of photos and let everyone make their own assumptions of whats happening in the photo, giving a story to it is always lekka
Finances havent been playing game with me, buying a house is not friendly on adv trips
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2019, 02:27:34 pm »
As mentioned here before people just have less time and money to do trips, even a day trip can cost you close to a R800  (include a lunch / brunch whatever along the way) and in that day most will just post one or two pics of the ride and wont bother with a RR. Now imagine what a proper week or so trip will cost you. But it's not just Ride Reports even sections like technical and the ones on specific models are dead quiet. Unfortunately besides the guys commuting I think most bikes live the in garage most of the time. I also detest R&P, I'm sure it has made most of us so depressed that we don't even remember that this should be a adventure bike forum first and foremost.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Ian in Great Brak River

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2019, 03:09:01 pm »
About time someone put this subject up for discussion. I first heard about this forum in 2008 ... then lost the link and got distracted by real life for a while. By chance I found it again in 2010 and joined up, a RR by SGB was enough inspiration for me to go out and buy a S10. I would, and still do, check this forum daily ... it's the reason I joined up because of the mental escape a good RR offers, but it has changed over the last 3 years. It's become a little cynical. At times is seems like the most vociferous here have not been on a ride in years, and no doubt they have their reasons for that. And then personal bullshit prevents some people from even reading certain RR's posted, but that's their prerogative too so no issue with that.

I think this forum's mantra has been distracted by some new section and what it offers to members, like venting their politics and religious views ... but it has to offer something to everyone I suppose.

So, I will now return to the For Sale section ...

1978. It's 6am, mid winter...two up on a XL 185S ... off to my first casino ever with all of R40 and we've got a full tank of fuel, so enough to get there we reckon.... that's determination...

Old bike: '82 Eddie Lawson Replica
Other bike: '05 Honda Varadero 1000
New bike: '16 Honda Africa Twin.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2019, 03:37:32 pm »
on the forum is that it is great way of preserving the memories of all the trips that I have done, enabling me to go back and re-live all those memories

Would be nice finding a old RR using the search function. Have just tried it by typing in the exact name of RR in and poster.
Throws me a long finger, says cannot find anything.Has happened a lot.How am I going to find it one day sitting in the old age home if I cannot find it now!!?  :(
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za