Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the Ride Reports section dying?  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Noneking

Re: Is the Ride Reports section dying?
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2019, 03:47:43 pm »
And then personal bullshit prevents some people from even reading certain RR's posted, but that's their prerogative too so no issue with that.

I've heard rumours of this happening..... :peepwall: really childish, but nou ja.....
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2019, 04:15:47 pm »
I did a ton of RR previously, slowed down considerably for many reasons. 

As was mentioned previously, it takes forever to do a decent report.
Lets face it, this forum is also not very users friendly if it comes to posting a rr. 
Once done you post it and only a few, the same old same people mostly, will comment.  It seems as if the rest is more interested in jou Ma and religion and politics.
I recently again started to post rr's, but what a waste of time, I rather post on gesigboek where my family and friends can see what I do and don't.  At least they appreciate the pics and vids and it is much much easier to post photos there. 
I see someone mentioned that Roam is dead, seems like WD is also dying a slow death if you judge it by the rr's.

Take for instance this thread, the members that posted here is almost the only members active in the rr section.  The others do not even bother to look here so the message will therefor not reach them.   It is a real same. 

To answer the OP question, YES the rr section is dying.   :deal:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

The following users thanked this post: Ian in Great Brak River

Offline Osadabwa

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Don't be surprised
Interesting
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2019, 04:17:27 pm »
I was going to commiserate, but instead I'll just say: I'm doing my part from Kenya! Every little toodle down to the Valley gets put on this website, and even though I don't ride in RSA, I have more in common with most of you riders than the other forums like ADV Rider. Check out the threads I've put together. I lump all my rides in the same thread for a year and start over every January. In exactly 7 days I'll be doing a very long, very dry, very hot and very fast ride up to the border of Ethiopia which should be fantastic. Writing RRs is an addiction for me by now, so I can't wait to share... though very few folks have the patience to read them.

:snorting:

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2019, 04:19:40 pm »
Please do not stop your RRs. Best way for me to see more of Africa and I enjoy your witty way of writing. :thumleft: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2019, 04:34:02 pm »
I feel there is two reasons to write a report.

1. To share your experience. It may sound vain, but if you do all that effort to write the Ride report and do not get some attention, then you won't do it again. I have searched sometimes for info and found good RRs which was stopped halfway because of lack of interest. It's very sad, I know the amount of effort that must have gone into it then already.

2. For later reference or to show others what you have done. When family ask me how was my trip, I send them a link. Even some of my older uncles I don't have much contact with have pestered my mother for a link of my latest trip. Or if if I want to get someone to join me to go on some trip or see how awesome an area is, I send a link of an applicable RR. I see it as a huge issue that the site is blocked for people that isn't registered. Why will I now continue to write an RR on Wilddogs if I can't 'use' it at a later stage...

edit: incorrect statement
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 04:59:05 pm by m0lt3n »
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
Re: Interesting
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2019, 04:38:24 pm »
... In exactly 7 days I'll be doing a very long, very dry, very hot and very fast ride up to the border of Ethiopia which should be fantastic. Writing RRs is an addiction for me by now, so I can't wait to share... though very few folks have the patience to read them.

:snorting:

Schweet, let's hit it   :thumleft:   :ricky:

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2019, 04:43:16 pm »
I see it as a huge issue that the site is blocked for people that isn't registered.

For the second time on this thread:

THE RIDE REPORT SECTION IS VISIBLE TO GUESTS
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »
I see it as a huge issue that the site is blocked for people that isn't registered.

For the second time on this thread:

THE RIDE REPORT SECTION IS VISIBLE TO GUESTS

apologies. I shared something else from a section that used to be open 2 days ago and it was blocked, made the incorrect blanket assumption.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2019, 05:05:27 pm »
Some very valid comments made.   :3some:

If I may add my 2c - Nothing wrong with the RR section IMHO.  The problem is with the participation level of readers.  If no participation and interest is shown, a RR either dies or becomes the last one written.  Whether you want to admit it or not, participation and feedback result in the brain secreting a hormone called dopamine.  The resultant effect is that of happiness, euphoria and motivation.  Thatís what keeps you posting.

Unfortunately Iíve also decided this week to refrain from wasting any more time with RRís.  The effort and cost is simply not worth it.  And I donít feel I need to pen it down here to refer back to.  I have the photos and Iím not likely to forget a memorable trip.

To blame R&P and Jou Ma of the forumís demise is a lame excuse.  Unsubscribe to both and youíll see a lot more bike related banter taking place.

Now back to preparing for the Northern Namibia trip next week.   :biggrin: :ricky:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2019, 05:14:52 pm »

Now back to preparing for the Northern Namibia trip next week.   :biggrin: :ricky:

Gaan ons 'n rr sien.   :biggrin:
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2019, 05:23:01 pm »

Gaan ons 'n rr sien.   :biggrin:

Ek dink daar sal beslis een wees, net nie deur my nie.   :lol8:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2019, 05:23:31 pm »
As die Ride Reports beter was, sou meer mense dit gelees het.
 :biggrin:

Maar op n ernstige noot: 10 jaar terug het ek tyd gehad om n uur te sit en lees aan n ride report.
Deesdae het ek nie eens n uur om met my vrou te gesels nie.

Dalk is dit net my probleem.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline Noneking

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2019, 05:28:03 pm »

If I may add my 2c - Nothing wrong with the RR section IMHO.  The problem is with the participation level of readers.  If no participation and interest is shown, a RR either dies or becomes the last one written.  Whether you want to admit it or not, participation and feedback result in the brain secreting a hormone called dopamine.  The resultant effect is that of happiness, euphoria and motivation.  Thatís what keeps you posting.

Unfortunately Iíve also decided this week to refrain from wasting any more time with RRís.  The effort and cost is simply not worth it.  And I donít feel I need to pen it down here to refer back to.  I have the photos and Iím not likely to forget a memorable trip.

To blame R&P and Jou Ma of the forumís demise is a lame excuse.  Unsubscribe to both and youíll see a lot more bike related banter taking place.

Very valid point!

I read most RRs posted on here but hardly ever comment, purely because I read these reports in sections, often on a device where Iím not logged in. I will endeavour to post more on these threads in future because I share your view that we need to encourage members to make an effort with RRs
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2019, 05:34:05 pm »

Very valid point!

I read most RRs posted on here but hardly ever comment, purely because I read these reports in sections, often on a device where Iím not logged in. I will endeavour to post more on these threads in future because I share your view that we need to encourage members to make an effort with RRs

Iím just as guilty Noneking and will start practicing what I preach.

Iíve found myself writing things that I think others want to hear instead of writing just from the heart in mother tongue, just to get people interested in the experience.  Silly, isnít it.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2019, 05:38:06 pm »
As die Ride Reports beter was, sou meer mense dit gelees het.
 :biggrin:

Maar op n ernstige noot: 10 jaar terug het ek tyd gehad om n uur te sit en lees aan n ride report.
Deesdae het ek nie eens n uur om met my vrou te gesels nie.

Dalk is dit net my probleem.

Kaboef, jy mag dalk Ďn grap maak, maar daar steek Ďn bietjie waarheid in.  Daar is niks erger vir my om Ďn drone footage report te Ďleesí nie.  Dit moet darem gepaard gaan met Ďn storie.  Ian in Great Brak river het dit 100% reg gekry met sy laaste een.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:38:44 pm by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline BliknÍrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2019, 05:49:24 pm »
Iemand het dit al genoem maar daar is n klomp splinter groepe wat ander platforms gebruik om te kommunikeer. Dis maar soos die tegnologie evolve maar dit beteken RR seksie dip uit.
Die trick gaan wees om WD te laat aanpas.
Miskien moet daar meer aandag gegee word aan die kwaliteit i.p,v, die kwantiteit inhoud.
Ons moet ook beter kyk na mense wat positiewe bydraes lewer, sodat hulle nie voel hulle talente word nie hier waardeer nie. PÍrels voor swyne ens.
En soos reeds genoem is dit nogal n mission om n ordentlike RR met fotos gepos te kry sonder om jou gat af te sukkel.

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2019, 05:59:42 pm »
Sien julle nou hoe moeilik is dit om 'n rr te doen.  Wat een dink 'n goeie rr is dink 'n ander dit moes beter wees. 

Ek myself probeer maar altyd in ingels te skryf om almal te "please", maar ek sukkel my gat af om dit reg te kry.  Afrikaans kan ek skryf tot die keyboard moeg raak, maar dan kla ander weer.  Hoe weet 'n persoon dis 'n bad rr, of dit OK is, of dit uitstekend is.   
Party keer wonder 'n ou, "as ek die rr doen, maak ek nie my naam gat nie".     

Dan maak ons maar soos ander doen, vermy die rr's geheel en al en ploeter maar aan met jou eie se lewe.   :biggrin:

Offline Noneking

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2019, 06:12:45 pm »
Iemand het dit al genoem maar daar is n klomp splinter groepe wat ander platforms gebruik om te kommunikeer. Dis maar soos die tegnologie evolve maar dit beteken RR seksie dip uit.
Die trick gaan wees om WD te laat aanpas.
Miskien moet daar meer aandag gegee word aan die kwaliteit i.p,v, die kwantiteit inhoud.
Ons moet ook beter kyk na mense wat positiewe bydraes lewer, sodat hulle nie voel hulle talente word nie hier waardeer nie. PÍrels voor swyne ens.
En soos reeds genoem is dit nogal n mission om n ordentlike RR met fotos gepos te kry sonder om jou gat af te sukkel.

Die fotos post storie was vir my ook helse mission tot ek Google photo ontdek het. Copy die link in jou browser en post by jou IMG opsie
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

The following users thanked this post: BliknÍrs

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2019, 06:24:34 pm »

Daar is niks erger vir my om Ďn drone footage report te Ďleesí nie.  Dit moet darem gepaard gaan met Ďn storie.

Kobus I am not sure I understand what you are saying here, my Afrikaans is not that delicious  :biggrin:

But if you are saying that there is nothing worse for you than to read a Ride Report that doesn't have a story to it, then I have to say I completely disagree with you.

I would even say that this attitude might be why people are not that keen to do Ride Reports.

Sure a Ride Report with twists and turns and danger and highs and lows makes for gripping reading and a great story, but 90% of rides that are done don't have any of this excitement, especially if it is a well planned ride done by semi competent riders. So if I understand you correctly, and apologies if I have got this completely wrong, on a trip that goes according to plan without any major calamity happening is not worth doing a Ride Report on? But  a trip where the author makes up a story of getting lost and running out of petrol, then having an emotional breakdown after he faces a near death experience is the only kind of Ride Report that you feel is worthwhile.

Again, apologies if I have misunderstood your comment  :thumleft:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2019, 06:26:48 pm »
I am relatively new to this forum, member for about 15 months now , enjoy both the planning rides and RR , threads , has been an inspiration . I have been riding for near 40 years, first couple of years on thumpers , and the balance on sport-bikes , Must say I am enjoying my 1190. puts a smile on my dial and cant wait for my next trip , we are hardly home and the planning starts again .
I never stopped riding, but for about 6 years got seriously involved with 4x4  own 2 modified jeeps, served on the jeep club committee , same happened , driving up and down dirt humps was just no challenge anymore and after completing Carnage canyon for the 3rd time , I found that I was looking for bigger challenges and not everyone was on the same page , did not  want to go to the pipe car scene , Adventure bike with panniers seemed to be the way to experience life , and I/we have been enjoying the bike , At least one trip away every month ,For us a new enjoyment , but to write about it in a way that can promote the same experience we had on the trip takes a special kind of skill ,
Those that have the penmanship to do so , makes  for good reading .

Leave the penmanship.  Learn to post pictures instead!  A picture says a thousand words. (anyway, a lot of the ride reports I skip the writing - it often tends to be the same style, though different authors, and after the third clichť I find the writing boring, but the pictures often make it worth the while)
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110