Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the Ride Reports section dying?  (Read 6856 times)

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
Re: Is the Ride Reports section dying?
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2019, 04:41:46 pm »
 :thumleft:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2019, 08:04:51 pm »
Nou help ons ander ook assemblief tog my kroon.   :biggrin:

Noneking moet ons almal klas gee  :lol8:

Ek doen nog steeds iets verkeerd.
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2019, 08:49:12 pm »
Just so much easier to post a few pictures on fb with comments, but I do miss real good RR's like those of Trailrider, Michnus and others.
That was also the reason why I have origionally joined the WD's - Trailrider (Johann van Tonder) introduced me to this forum.
I am however adicted to this forum, and I am going nowhere.....
So maybe I own it to the forum which I love so much (by that all the people that I became friends with, and can't go without) to make an effort and post my next ride in the RR section.

Daytrips and weekend trips sometimes makes for a good read, we all love pics. Look at the bike rebuild section and other technical threads; its the pictures that makes us click on the WD shortcut!!

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2019, 07:22:54 am »
I did a ton of RR previously, slowed down considerably for many reasons. 

As was mentioned previously, it takes forever to do a decent report.
Lets face it, this forum is also not very users friendly if it comes to posting a rr. 
Once done you post it and only a few, the same old same people mostly, will comment.  It seems as if the rest is more interested in jou Ma and religion and politics.
I recently again started to post rr's, but what a waste of time, I rather post on gesigboek where my family and friends can see what I do and don't.  At least they appreciate the pics and vids and it is much much easier to post photos there. 
I see someone mentioned that Roam is dead, seems like WD is also dying a slow death if you judge it by the rr's.

Take for instance this thread, the members that posted here is almost the only members active in the rr section.  The others do not even bother to look here so the message will therefor not reach them.   It is a real same. 

To answer the OP question, YES the rr section is dying.   :deal:

Some very valid comments made.   :3some:

If I may add my 2c - Nothing wrong with the RR section IMHO.  The problem is with the participation level of readers.  If no participation and interest is shown, a RR either dies or becomes the last one written.  Whether you want to admit it or not, participation and feedback result in the brain secreting a hormone called dopamine.  The resultant effect is that of happiness, euphoria and motivation.  Thatís what keeps you posting.

Unfortunately Iíve also decided this week to refrain from wasting any more time with RRís.  The effort and cost is simply not worth it.  And I donít feel I need to pen it down here to refer back to.  I have the photos and Iím not likely to forget a memorable trip.

To blame R&P and Jou Ma of the forumís demise is a lame excuse.  Unsubscribe to both and youíll see a lot more bike related banter taking place.

Now back to preparing for the Northern Namibia trip next week.   :biggrin: :ricky:

I really enjoy the writing part. But, am guilty that Iíve not done one for a while.

Iíll also have a conversation with the mods to open it to all. I agree, itís the ďCrown JewelsĒ of the forum. (Is was closed because we had a bot infestation of foreign programs searching through our database.)

I see it as a huge issue that the site is blocked for people that isn't registered.

For the second time on this thread:

THE RIDE REPORT SECTION IS VISIBLE TO GUESTS

Not entirely true Jon.

Log out and go have a look at that alwyn report and tell us what you see. No pictures. I will save you the hassle - guests don't see attachments, hence if the poster loads photos directly on WD these are visible only to logged in members - guests don't see them. Same for for example attached GPS tracks. The only photos visible are the ones linkes from other sharing sites like flickr and such.

Look it is none of my business as these locked down state actually helps me move away from the forum, but unless you guys are going to reslove the chinesse attack and unlock the forum back to where it was before when only Jou Ma and Trading section is locked to guests, I think its just downhill for the forum. Unless one is logged in (I prefer not to be logged in all the time) they can see only very few sections and even in those they cannot see uploaded pictures so many threads don't make any sense.

Get it back to the original state and the traffic will improve. I suspect most people reading my RRs are guests, not members here.

Dont you guys dare stop posting your reports, I am also guilty of not always commenting, sometimes work has me busy or whatever the excuse, it happens to all of us.

@Vis Arend
Do your report in Afrikaans then, its harder for me to read but I can still read it, Just please share.

@Kobus Myburgh
Agree with you on the drone videos, but it is what it is, I still watch them

@Xpat
I think half this forum will hunt you down if you stopped posting here

:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline dual

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2019, 10:41:12 am »
I used to post a lot in the past, nowadays not so many
I speak with photos, struggle with long story lines
I suddenly saw an increase in visitors to my blog
It's quite an effort to post and use other platforms for uploading photos
But, if the need to see it are there, I will post
Non participation in replies feels as if it's not seen

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2019, 10:43:23 am »
Ok, ek nog net bls 1 en 2 gelees.en meestal/baie is waar.  Ek gaan omtrent NOOIT na die Planning en Ride afdelings.  Om die waarheid te sÍ ek gaan maar net na die tegniese freds.

Hoekom?  EK HET NIE TYD NIE.  Ek doen nie die Facebook/Pintrest ding.  Ek doen amper nie eers die Watsup ding - net uit nood moet ek.  Ek het hopeloos te veel ander dinge wat 'net so lekker' is.

Met meer as 50 000km se trips reg oor SA het ek nog altyd gewonder wat om met die magdom video's te maak behalwe om ure aan editing te spandeer. 

EN TOE DIE VRAAG. Hoekom neem ek dan die trip af as ek niks daarmee doen?  As ek eendag oud is wil ek weer daarna kyk.  En hier was die probleem.  My sig mag miskien so wees dat ek nie kan lees.  Die 'medium' mag nie meer beskikbaar wees (Wat het van mixit geword?)  Aan die einde het ek besluit om nie aan enige vorm van sosiale media gekoppel te wees maar nog my wedervarings te deel.  En ek verwag GEEN komentaar, soms wil ek nie eers komentaar he nie want dan moet ek dit antwoord of the persoon dink ek is snaaks/windgat ens.

Ek het toe op finaal besluit die video opsie kan werk.  Dit het GROOT finansiele en tyd belegging gekos.  My video metode maak editing nou baie vinnig en maklik teenoor toe ek begin het.  Die laaste trip video van 3.5 minute het 2 uur geneem.  Dit sluit my navorsing in oor hoe om die klank te doen.  Hoe meer ek van die editing program weet hoe vinniger gaan dit gedoen kan word.  Dit is nogal redelike moeite maar ek geniet dit net soveel as om die trip voor te berei.

MAAR ek moet se daar is niks so lekker om weer na 'n trip te kyk en weer te geniet.  Ek laat hulle sommer speel terwyl ek kosmaak.

Hoekom post ek nou my trip video's hier? Miskien is daar iemand wat 5 minute af kan staan en sÍ "bliksem dit was interresant, ons moet dit ook probeer ry"  En as dit nie so is nie het hulle darem 'n deel van ons land UIT MY OOG gesien, maak nie saak hoeveel hulle dit uit 'n ander se oog gesien het nie.

Vir die wat die RR's plaas, hou aan.  vir die wat dit lees, hou aan.  Ons lewe net een keer en kan net een keer droom oor wat ons wil/kan/gaan doen voor ons ouetehuis toe gaan en dan terugdink aan ons lewe.

My lewens motto: 'ek sal arm doodgaan maar ryk aan ondervinding lewe'

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Plaasseun

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2019, 10:48:53 am »
Some very valid comments made.   :3some:

If I may add my 2c - Nothing wrong with the RR section IMHO.  The problem is with the participation level of readers.  If no participation and interest is shown, a RR either dies or becomes the last one written.  Whether you want to admit it or not, participation and feedback result in the brain secreting a hormone called dopamine.  The resultant effect is that of happiness, euphoria and motivation.  Thatís what keeps you posting.

Unfortunately Iíve also decided this week to refrain from wasting any more time with RRís.  The effort and cost is simply not worth it.  And I donít feel I need to pen it down here to refer back to.  I have the photos and Iím not likely to forget a memorable trip.

To blame R&P and Jou Ma of the forumís demise is a lame excuse.  Unsubscribe to both and youíll see a lot more bike related banter taking place.

Now back to preparing for the Northern Namibia trip next week.   :biggrin: :ricky:

Kobus ek geniet jou RR's baie al comment ek amper nooit. Jou vorige RR staan op 7100 views en 209 replies wat wraggies nie sleg is nie. Ek hou daarvan as die skrywer uit sy hart skryf en sy gevoel oor die trip deel eerder as 'n report wat net 'n klomp feite deurgee. Hoop jy heroorweeg om te skryf oor julle Namibie trip volgende week, maar ek kan dink dat dit baie tydrowend is.
LeŽ vaatjie hou toe jou kraan en ek sien jou dalk vir 'n volle aan.

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2019, 10:52:05 am »
As die Ride Reports beter was, sou meer mense dit gelees het.
 :biggrin:

Maar op n ernstige noot: 10 jaar terug het ek tyd gehad om n uur te sit en lees aan n ride report.
Deesdae het ek nie eens n uur om met my vrou te gesels nie.

Dalk is dit net my probleem.

Ek het nou die dag tyd gekry om met my vrou te gesels toe die krag af was.  Moet sÍ sy is nogal 'n interessante mens.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline >>ThumpįC

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2019, 11:17:38 am »
I've also got lazy to post Ride reports, somehow there was more motivation 10 years ago.

Just a thought, if you want more adventurers to join, make planning a ride open to public as well.

A visitor will see the plans and join the forum so he can also join in???
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2019, 11:26:19 am »
As die Ride Reports beter was, sou meer mense dit gelees het.
 :biggrin:

Maar op n ernstige noot: 10 jaar terug het ek tyd gehad om n uur te sit en lees aan n ride report.
Deesdae het ek nie eens n uur om met my vrou te gesels nie.

Dalk is dit net my probleem.

Ek het nou die dag tyd gekry om met my vrou te gesels toe die krag af was.  Moet sÍ sy is nogal 'n interessante mens.

Adie

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2019, 12:20:57 pm »

Adie

:spitcoffee:    :imaposer:

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Matewis

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2019, 12:21:37 pm »
Iemand het dit al genoem maar daar is n klomp splinter groepe wat ander platforms gebruik om te kommunikeer. Dis maar soos die tegnologie evolve maar dit beteken RR seksie dip uit.
Die trick gaan wees om WD te laat aanpas.
Miskien moet daar meer aandag gegee word aan die kwaliteit i.p,v, die kwantiteit inhoud.
Ons moet ook beter kyk na mense wat positiewe bydraes lewer, sodat hulle nie voel hulle talente word nie hier waardeer nie. PÍrels voor swyne ens.
En soos reeds genoem is dit nogal n mission om n ordentlike RR met fotos gepos te kry sonder om jou gat af te sukkel.

Chris ek stem nogal saam. RR op Wilddogs is ietwat van 'n schlep. Want ek kan nie vanaf my blog net copy en paste nie. Ek moet letterlik die geskryfde gedeelte copy en dan die fotos manually insit via tapatalk. LANGDRADIG maar tot dusver het ek dit so gedoen.
ďDonít go where the path my leadÖ  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trailÖĒ ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/

Online Ganjora

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2019, 03:41:07 pm »
The forum grew.
There a topics on everything from streaming TV to growing marijuana.
The ride reports are still there, and more are added all the time.
There is just a lot more 'other stuff' between them after you hit the new posts button.
Do not fall into the trap of thinking number of replies equal interest.
Some people actually hate the bullshit other posts that interfere with the flow of the RR.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:58:50 pm by Ganjora »

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Plaasseun

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2019, 03:54:10 pm »
I did Namibia last year.. do you really want another Namibia RR

on top of that , its a pain to load every photo, resize it, load it to somewhere else to grab it from.. it takes a lot of time and is a labour of love, if there was an easier way to just load the RR then im sure there would be more.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The following users thanked this post: Matewis

Online Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2019, 03:59:33 pm »

on top of that , its a pain to load every photo, resize it, load it to somewhere else to grab it from.. it takes a lot of time and is a labour of love, if there was an easier way to just load the RR then im sure there would be more.
+1
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2019, 09:24:22 pm »

+1
Stem 110% saam en die RR's en Planning a Ride moet ook vd roofkykers available wees.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2019, 08:02:40 am »
I think part of the problem is a lot of us don't read the reports. Lets be honest, reading a good report can take hours, and we have all become lazy with twitter and other shite. If it more than 140 words it not dumb enough for many who don't have the attention span beyond a few minutes at most.

Writing them is more difficult and a labor of love.

It would be interesting to see the forum demographics. How may of us are old ballies or getting on a bit? Most I think are over 40. How many active members do we have who are less than 30 years? How many of these people write RR's? Very few, I recon.

Looking at myself as part of the problem:
I keep threatening to write another report or two, have the material but the willpower is lacking. Been trying to spend less time in R&P because the negativity there is one of the biggest things putting me off posting elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:03:13 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2019, 08:05:05 am »
I think part of the problem is a lot of us don't read the reports. Lets be honest, reading a good report can take hours, and we have all become lazy with twitter and other shite. If it more than 140 words it not dumb enough for many who don't have the attention span beyond a few minutes at most.

Writing them is more difficult and a labor of love.

It would be interesting to see the forum demographics. How may of us are old ballies or getting on a bit? Most I think are over 40. How many active members do we have who are less than 30 years? How many of these people write RR's? Very few, I recon.

Looking at myself as part of the problem:
I keep threatening to write another report or two, have the material but the willpower is lacking. Been trying to spend less time in R&P because the negativity there is one of the biggest things putting me off posting elsewhere.

You missed the best demographic.... 30-40  O0
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2019, 03:41:35 pm »
Hehe, I was waiting for that. You dirty 30's guys are cool because you are still able to write; those in their 20's like my kids...well I have to wonder sometimes. ;D :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Ian in Great Brak River

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2019, 03:54:19 pm »

ę Last Edit: Today at 08:03:13 am by BlueBull2007

Put up a Pole BB, with a 2 vote option; 1) Do you post RR'S ?  and   2) How many orbits have you done?

Interesting numbers will emerge no doubt ...

8)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:57:38 pm by Ian in Great Brak River »
1978. It's 6am, mid winter...two up on a XL 185S ... off to my first casino ever with all of R40 and we've got a full tank of fuel, so enough to get there we reckon.... that's determination...

Old bike: '82 Eddie Lawson Replica
Other bike: '05 Honda Varadero 1000
New bike: '16 Honda Africa Twin.