Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the Ride Reports section dying?  (Read 9917 times)

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Re: Is the Ride Reports section dying?
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2019, 09:23:41 am »
I look at this forum, and riding in general, and I cannot help but think that it is the type of machine that is preventing good ride reports.

Modern machines seem to need trailering to destinations, and bakkie back-up in case of breakdowns.

This adds tremendously to cost.

Another point, when Yamaha discontinued the aircooled XT, I just knew it is the death knell for ride reports.

The problem is that people who still believe in air cooled thumpers can't use a computer well enough to do a ride report  :pot:

:spitcoffee:  :lamer:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2019, 09:29:00 am »
I will do a ride report, I just need time for the psychological build-up and to ready myself for using more than normal amounts of technology.

I am waiting to get all the photo material together, and then I'll plan our report.

why don't you just ask Minidan to start writing?  :deal:

Ek is nie my pa se kind vir niks nie...

Offline Yami Super 10

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2019, 12:12:09 pm »
I have been off the Forum page for quite some time :-[
My problem is being connected to a proper Wifi connection here in Africa. Secondly, as Lem rightly said, FB, Instagram and other quick cell phone apps works great and a quick way of posting and sharing.
Even when you do a weeks ride, you take pictures as you travel and post. Its on the net straight away for everyone to see.

When you log onto your mobile device, its not the same as on a PC or Pad.

Then to post picture here on the Forum has always got the better of me. Write a report and try and attach a picture and gives me some errors :lamer:

Geduld
Is n stadige manier om jou moer te strip!
Bikes: 2010 & 2019 ST1200
          2014 660XT

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2019, 02:09:43 pm »
I have been off the Forum page for quite some time :-[
My problem is being connected to a proper Wifi connection here in Africa. Secondly, as Lem rightly said, FB, Instagram and other quick cell phone apps works great and a quick way of posting and sharing.
Even when you do a weeks ride, you take pictures as you travel and post. Its on the net straight away for everyone to see.

When you log onto your mobile device, its not the same as on a PC or Pad.

Then to post picture here on the Forum has always got the better of me. Write a report and try and attach a picture and gives me some errors :lamer:

True what you say, however I actually enjoy the process of writing, very relaxing, provokes thought in me, I just need to get out more....
My other issue tho, is that I forget to stop for pics, often I take a camera or phone and dont look at it for teh whole day, only remember when I get back...

If you want a quick go-around for posting pics, PM me - I use PostImages to host as it's easy......
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2019, 07:13:47 pm »
I would say it is not just the ride report section that has quieted down. The general bike banter section is also very quiet. Little movement there. The most movement on this forum I would say is the for sale / buy / swap sections. For me that reflects the state of the economy and the despair of the working population. Bread and butter approaches and policies are more and more coming to the fore. Survival for a lot of people. To travel at pleasure is becoming a luxury beyond the grasp of more and more people. Even if you have R200 -300K to buy a bike, kitting it out, staying in lodges (at R1000 plus a night easily, everybody wants to life well, you know), ensuring that your property will not get ransacked during your absence, not knowing the condition of the roads, rampant crime on the roads, ineffective police force, open racial discrimination are all factors that dampens the adventure spirit of a lot of people. They then, having the bike and all the extras, rather elect to do the breakfast ride thing or down the beach or commute with the bike and save some money off the petrol account in doing so, while still getting in that bit of feeling of adventure. Or the bike(s) just stay in the garage, to keep the imagination and appearances up and running, while utilising your energy to try and stay sane and keep everything that you have slaved for, together.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2019, 07:44:52 pm »
I look at this forum, and riding in general, and I cannot help but think that it is the type of machine that is preventing good ride reports.

Modern machines seem to need trailering to destinations, and bakkie back-up in case of breakdowns.

Another point, when Yamaha discontinued the aircooled XT, I just knew it is the death knell for ride reports.

The problem is that people who still believe in air cooled thumpers can't use a computer well enough to do a ride report  :pot:

Ek skryf sommer die ding op n a4 vel en laat n paar blaaie afrol en deel dit dan uit by die volgende bash. >:D

Offline Noneking

« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2019, 08:50:02 pm »

Ek skryf sommer die ding op n a4 vel en laat n paar blaaie afrol en deel dit dan uit by die volgende bash. >:D

2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2019, 06:54:46 am »

Die feit dat jy die woord " afrol" gebruik :imaposer: Dink ek het dit laas op laerskool gehoor :lol8:

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2019, 07:27:33 am »
For a bit of fresh air, read @NiteOwl 's ride report To the Lungs of the Earth.

Splendid work.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Yami Super 10

• 1200 Super 10
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2019, 08:06:04 am »

Die feit dat jy die woord " afrol" gebruik :imaposer: Dink ek het dit laas op laerskool gehoor :lol8:
Die woord "Afrol" wys net hoe oud is 2SD  :peepwall: :pot: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Geduld
          2014 660XT

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2019, 08:43:50 am »
Gebruik hulle nie meer afrolmasjiene nie??

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2019, 08:46:36 am »
:imaposer:
Ja, maar ons draai nie meer daai slinger soos op die ou was masjiene nie.  :lol8:

Offline Yami Super 10

• 1200 Super 10
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2019, 09:42:09 am »

Noem dit n PRINTER.
Alles werk nou met gevordere komputer stelsels, wi-fi, USB stokkies, Bou tanne en internet :peepwall:
Geduld
          2014 660XT

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2019, 09:53:23 am »

Noem dit n PRINTER.
Alles werk nou met gevordere komputer rekenaar stelsels, wi-fi, USB stokkies, Bou tanne en internet :peepwall:

Reggemaak vir jou :lol8: Jy mag verbaas wees hoeveel rekenaar terme in Afrikaans voorkom, mens sien hulle net nie behalwe as mens per ongeluk jou "operating system" (beheerstelsel?) se taal verander na Afrikaans :o
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Yami Super 10

• 1200 Super 10
« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2019, 09:59:10 am »

Noem dit n PRINTER.
Alles werk nou met gevordere komputer rekenaar stelsels, wi-fi, USB stokkies, Bou tanne en internet :peepwall:

Reggemaak vir jou :lol8: Jy mag verbaas wees hoeveel rekenaar terme in Afrikaans voorkom, mens sien hulle net nie behalwe as mens per ongeluk jou "operating system" (beheerstelsel?) se taal verander na Afrikaans :o

Lankal uit skool, as jy nie tussen die lyne kan lees nie :peepwall: Dan moet jy maar n HAT nader krap. :spitcoffee: Ek weet wat ek sÍ :thumleft:
Geduld
          2014 660XT

Offline @offroad

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2019, 10:02:01 am »
I would say it is not just the ride report section that has quieted down. The general bike banter section is also very quiet. Little movement there. The most movement on this forum I would say is the for sale / buy / swap sections. For me that reflects the state of the economy and the despair of the working population. Bread and butter approaches and policies are more and more coming to the fore. Survival for a lot of people. To travel at pleasure is becoming a luxury beyond the grasp of more and more people. Even if you have R200 -300K to buy a bike, kitting it out, staying in lodges (at R1000 plus a night easily, everybody wants to life well, you know), ensuring that your property will not get ransacked during your absence, not knowing the condition of the roads, rampant crime on the roads, ineffective police force, open racial discrimination are all factors that dampens the adventure spirit of a lot of people. They then, having the bike and all the extras, rather elect to do the breakfast ride thing or down the beach or commute with the bike and save some money off the petrol account in doing so, while still getting in that bit of feeling of adventure. Or the bike(s) just stay in the garage, to keep the imagination and appearances up and running, while utilising your energy to try and stay sane and keep everything that you have slaved for, together.

Sadly very true  :'(.
Colin

2017 BMW R 1200 GS with a few farkles.

I'd rather be riding and never take the shortest route.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2019, 10:11:09 am »

Noem dit n PRINTER.

Lankal uit skool, as jy nie tussen die lyne kan lees nie :peepwall: Dan moet jy maar n HAT nader krap. :spitcoffee: Ek weet wat ek sÍ :thumleft:

Self, het lank terug 'n konferensie bygewoon waar 'n sagteware ingenieur nog gepraat het van "datavelle". Ek spot bietjie met die "komputer", want het die ouer mense dit nie nog 'n "komper" genoem nie?

Offline BuRP

« Reply #177 on: November 04, 2019, 10:47:58 am »
Noem dit n PRINTER AFDRUKKER.
Alles werk nou met gevordere komputer rekenaar stelsels, wi-fi, USB stokkies, Bou tanne en internet

Reggemaak vir jou
[/quote]

Regtergemaak vir jou  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #178 on: November 04, 2019, 01:41:40 pm »
Noem dit n PRINTER AFDRUKKER.
Alles werk nou met gevordere komputer rekenaar stelsels, wi-fi, USB stokkies, Bou tanne en internet

Reggemaak vir jou

Regtergemaak vir jou  :P
[/quote]

Uhm actually

'n Afdrukker is kopieŽr masjien (of slegte Afrikaanse woord vir fotostaatmasjien)

'n 'Drukker' is 'n printer...

Meer regter gemaak...

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:45:34 pm by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2019, 01:44:25 pm »
O en 'Operating System' is 'bedryfstelsel'

:biggrin:
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

The following users thanked this post: Ri