Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Motorcycle and Adventure Tour Guides - Qualified vs. Unqualified  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Campbell McCurrach

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Where we go one, we go all.
Hi All,

This post is for sake of general interest and edification. Have you ever thought about starting an adventure bike touring company or wondered what it takes to become a legal adventure biking or adventure guide as well as registered with the South African Department of Tourism which is mandatory in terms of gazetted law? 

Interestingly, the vast majority of motorcycle tour operators in South Africa are not registered with the Department of Tourism or deemed to be qualified to offer the service they do according to the Tourism Act. No. 3 of 2014 and thus are operating illegally.

I was asked a while ago by a well known training and qualification facilitator in the industry to commit to paper my knowledge on the subject and the result thereof was the attached white paper. 

We live in such a beautiful country which is probably one of the best in the World for adventure riding.  It would be a shame to see the industry lose any of its operators due to the legislation in place. Not only for the sake of the operator's livelihood but also because it would increase the barrier to entry for foreign adventure biking tourists. 

I hope the information contained in this posts and attachment helps someone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:13:23 pm by Campbell McCurrach »

The following users thanked this post: RobC, King Louis, Grunder

Offline manta

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Reborn on the forum as Manta
Re: Motorcycle and Adventure Tour Guides - Qualified vs. Unqualified
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 03:08:01 pm »
Hi

My wife is a qualified adventure and cultural tour guide.
In her industry there are a lot of companies that are now marketing themselves as adventure tour companies but their guides are not qualified as adventure guides.

It is becoming more and more of an issue in the industry because of the insurance. Basically if you're not qualified correctly and there is an issue the insurer is under no obligation to pay out. A few operators have been bankrupted by this.

The following users thanked this post: Campbell McCurrach

Offline King Louis

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:57:38 pm »
Interesting, at least for me. Fact is that most motorcycle touring companies don't give a flyfishermans fuck about legality. But they way it goes, their days are numbered. If you don't have your ducks in a row, it can backfire. Substantially.

I am a qualified tourist guide (culture guide), at present for 6 provinces, the other three should be finalised by May, so I can travel the whole of SA legally with tourists. The Dept. of Tourism is (trying) to clamp down on illegal operators, guides and all. The moment you take tourists against any form of remuneration anywhere, you have to be a registered guide. You can only operate in the province, you are qualified for.

Those, who offer tours with a back up vehicle, need a driver with a PrDP, should they want or have to carry passengers. The vehicle has to be licensed and you have to have public liability insurance, best professional indemnity as well.

Then we have many international tour operators, who certainly are not registered in SA for anything at all.

The following users thanked this post: Campbell McCurrach

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 04:23:39 pm »
King Louis, you know your facts well. I have it on good authority that the Director has tabled this sector of the local tourism industry for  investigation (imminently).  As I understand it the more prominent operators will be tackled first as they are most easily identified and proven to be operating outside of the law. Its would appear that the higher the Google search ranking the quicker they will be found.

All of the above said, there are a good few operators who I believe are very competent through experience, however, the buck will always stop where legislation finds it.

Offline WildWood

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:53:43 pm »
Iíve been watching this space for a while now and wondering when we are going to be more regulated.
Iím a registered cultural guide and myself and my both my support drivers have pdpís.
Considering a large percentage of my clients are foreign it would be suicidal not to have adequate liability insurance. One day is one day.

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 07:50:11 am »
The people who run the country are not qualified to do so yet someone who want's to take people on a ride needs to be,, it's a joke

The following users thanked this post: TriBaldy, ultraflight

Offline Tonteldoos

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 08:02:34 am »
Based on the extract below.. Does that mean the Harley guys must be registered/ Qualified to lead... or only if the are paid

This documentís scope is focussed on legislation surrounding
professional (ďRegisteredĒ) as well as unregistered adventure guiding of motorcycle tours, be it
leading one customer or a group of customers.
The scope is inclusive of any and/or all event
organisation surrounding the same activity
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:02:58 am by Tonteldoos »
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 09:31:23 am »
Just out of interest:
What does a tour guide, or motorcycle specific tour guide qualification entail? I suppose a first aid qualification will be required, among others?

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 09:38:12 am »
The people who run the country are not qualified to do so yet someone who want's to take people on a ride needs to be,, it's a joke
I was very surprised to find that the Registrars I dealt with were indeed qualified guides and had experience in guiding. Did they have motorcycle licenses and experience in adventure biking? No, however, the subject and matter is not about really about whether you would give Alfie Cox a run for his money but rather whether you are competent to plan, organise and execute professional tours with as much risk mitigated as possible.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 09:43:14 am »
Iíve been watching this space for a while now and wondering when we are going to be more regulated.
Iím a registered cultural guide and myself and my both my support drivers have pdpís.
Considering a large percentage of my clients are foreign it would be suicidal not to have adequate liability insurance. One day is one day.
You should be applauded for having gone as far as you have in taking steps towards meeting certain requirements of the department. You run a great outfit and have extensive experience in true adventure biking guiding and I believe that it would a fairly quick and seamless transition from cultural guide registration to having your guide registration number endorsed for GASG on the basis of RPL. Then you would be aligned to scope of activity and the underwriters such as SATIB (best in field) would cover you.

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 09:45:19 am »
Just out of interest:
What does a tour guide, or motorcycle specific tour guide qualification entail? I suppose a first aid qualification will be required, among others?
Read the attached White Paper for full details on what the unit standard includes. Level 3 1st Aid certificate is however a prerequisite.

Offline King Louis

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 10:00:00 am »
Just out of interest:
Min. 21 years, SA Citizen or in possession of a valid work permit, valid first aid certificate (your guide qualification goes hand in hand and is only valid as long as your first aid validity), trained by a THETA accredited provider, sign the Code of Conduct, must be registered with the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism, can only work in the province qualified for (national, provincial, regional, site)

Various institutions offer training, make sure you use one that is recognised by DEAT. Don't think you can get it in 14 days......

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 10:00:37 am »
Based on the extract below.. Does that mean the Harley guys must be registered/ Qualified to lead... or only if the are paid

This documentís scope is focussed on legislation surrounding
professional (ďRegisteredĒ) as well as unregistered adventure guiding of motorcycle tours, be it
leading one customer or a group of customers.
The scope is inclusive of any and/or all event
organisation surrounding the same activity
As I understand it the line is drawn at "commercial benefit" be that for remuneration or advertising etc. So it won't apply to the scenario of say a club ride or breakfast run but if your local Harley, KTM, BMW or Triumph dealership arranges an away weekend and collects money for accommodation and catering on the weekend then they would be deemed to have organized a tour and at a minimum the person leading the event/tour would need to be a registered guide.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 10:19:32 am »
Just out of interest:
Min. 21 years, SA Citizen or in possession of a valid work permit, valid first aid certificate (your guide qualification goes hand in hand and is only valid as long as your first aid validity), trained by a THETA accredited provider, sign the Code of Conduct, must be registered with the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism, can only work in the province qualified for (national, provincial, regional, site)

Various institutions offer training, make sure you use one that is recognised by DEAT. Don't think you can get it in 14 days......
The modules to complete the unit standard can be worked through fairly quickly. By far the greatest duration in the whole process is the one associated with waiting for the issuance of the Cathseta hardcopy original certificate which needs to be submitted to your local/national Registrar with your application for registration.

Offline King Louis

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 10:44:25 am »
Just out of interest:

The modules to complete the unit standard can be worked through fairly quickly. By far the greatest duration in the whole process is the one associated with waiting for the issuance of the Cathseta hardcopy original certificate which needs to be submitted to your local/national Registrar with your application for registration.

I guess it depends on the training provider? It was no big issue, exam, 7-10 days to get results, 3 days for the CATHSETA certificate, received by a-mail, presented to Gauteng Tourism, registration half an hour.

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 10:55:26 am »
Just out of interest:

I guess it depends on the training provider? It was no big issue, exam, 7-10 days to get results, 3 days for the CATHSETA certificate, received by a-mail, presented to Gauteng Tourism, registration half an hour.
Was the pre or post 94?

Offline King Louis

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 11:07:50 am »
Started September last year only.....

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 11:15:56 am »
Started September last year only.....
That's an incredibly quick turn around compared to the other provinces.

Offline Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 07:59:49 am »
Interesting, thanks for your replies. :thumleft:

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 08:03:55 am »
As a matter of interest - where do you start to become a guide?
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.