Motorcycle and Adventure Tour Guides - Qualified vs. Unqualified

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Hi All,

This post is for sake of general interest and edification. Have you ever thought about starting an adventure bike touring company or wondered what it takes to become a legal adventure biking or adventure guide as well as registered with the South African Department of Tourism which is mandatory in terms of gazetted law? 

Interestingly, the vast majority of motorcycle tour operators in South Africa are not registered with the Department of Tourism or deemed to be qualified to offer the service they do according to the Tourism Act. No. 3 of 2014 and thus are operating illegally.

I was asked a while ago by a well known training and qualification facilitator in the industry to commit to paper my knowledge on the subject and the result thereof was the attached white paper. 

We live in such a beautiful country which is probably one of the best in the World for adventure riding.  It would be a shame to see the industry lose any of its operators due to the legislation in place. Not only for the sake of the operator's livelihood but also because it would increase the barrier to entry for foreign adventure biking tourists. 

I hope the information contained in this posts and attachment helps someone.

Attachments

• White Paper_Adventure Motorcycle Guided Tours in South Africa_Rev3_25-10-2018.pdf
    503.9 KB · Views: 84