Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Clanners to Morokweng  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Re: Clanners to Morokweng
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 06:54:53 pm »
After Honda Quest you must've cruised in the sand :imaposer:

Enjoying the RR so far :biggrin:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 12:47:10 am »
Some of us did cruise IN the sand, even with all the tips from the greats, :bueller:, while they just drifted over it as if angles were carrying them :ricky:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:50:55 am by MRK Miller »
Op God vertrou ons vir wysheid om Sy wil te aanvaar

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 12:56:47 am »
Nice RR for a bunch of guys riding Karel Aars. Looks like a lekka trip!

Karel Aars :imaposer:

At least they performed flawlessly. Six bikes covering at least 1300km each and one puncture is the only damage. We won't say how much top-up oil was used.

2 lt about. But with all the digging i did in the sand, how can i blame her. And she still brought me safely home. As for the punchers. Rikus was the only unlucky one, and that while riding out of the overnight camp. And then as luck wanted it, it held up till we got to the fuel station, to refuel. No one got a flat while bundu bashing through thorn valley. Pretty Amazing i would say

Offline wilfwalk

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 12:12:37 pm »
Thanks for the RR, and the interesting facts about that meteorite, amazing. Not many riders go to those parts of the country, I guess because of the lack of dramatic scenery, but it does have beauty of its own. Stayed in Mafikeng (Mahikeng now) from '83 to '91.

Offline Pyscho Porra

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Sworn To Fun and Loyal To Rum
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 12:36:49 pm »
while they just drifted over it as if angles were carrying them :ricky:
Klippies and cola
"The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all"

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 12:58:16 pm »
Holy smokes, that road looks more like a riverbed,

Are you sure that the road??  :eek7:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 02:35:20 pm »
hahaha that bit of sand looks awesome and condusive to some of the good old "look up, open up" approach, unlike slow twisty tweespoor sand which is my sphincter's lid (gat se deksel).

lekker RR   :ricky:

McSack did your appendage require stitches?

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 03:07:34 pm »
After Honda Quest you must've cruised in the sand :imaposer:

Enjoying the RR so far :biggrin:
  :ricky:  Had my 2 "Sand Therapists" to thank for the cruising. @THROTTLE JOCKEY  & @Kamanya . 'Twas as if they were sitting on my shoulder whispering "Look where you want to go...when in doubt throttle out ... relax and feel the sand ....give it horns and enjoy" in my ear   :deal:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:08:45 pm by McSack »
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline McSack

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 03:20:52 pm »
hahaha that bit of sand looks awesome and condusive to some of the good old "look up, open up" approach, unlike slow twisty tweespoor sand which is my sphincter's lid (gat se deksel).

lekker RR   :ricky:

McSack did your appendage require stitches?
Probly could have done with a stitch or 2 as it kept pissing blood every time I bumped it ...eventually bought some superglue at a garage and glued it closed. Worked like a bomb
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 03:22:24 pm »
Some really awesome riding through a couple of farms (of course there were gates to open and close) and miles and miles of fantastic dirt with a few sand pits to keep us awake

...and then we came to this turnoff... and the fun really started . A 25 km sand monster that the owner of Bignello's had described as having "only a little bit of sand here and there "  :o   :imaposer:

Absolute riding heaven. My feet started tingling, my hands started getting wet, a salty taste near the jaw of my mouth and my heart rate climbed to 120 just looking at those pictures. Orgasmic fast sand riding my favorite. Thanks for RR boet now I wont sleep tonight thinking about riding that. Flat out! No Fear! No Regrets! Go get them boet.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline OomD

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 03:31:17 pm »
This looks epic! Thanks for sharing. But that sand... eish.  :o

Offline McSack

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 05:24:16 pm »
Wish I had stopped to take a few pics along the last 40km stretch of dirt from Vryburg back to Kameel but the ride was just sublime. Porra, Abre and myself blasting down track side by side at sunset....just too lekker to stop. After the practice in the really thick stuff earlier we were going out of our way to dive into the loose bits we came across . What a Jol!
Some stress was had waiting for the rest of the group to get back, as we were under the impression they had turned around in the thick sand and taken an easier route back. Eventually up Paul dragged himself in around 18:30 and Keith (MrK Miller) and his boys only arriving in the dark at around 9 in the evening ... they had endured through but were exhausted and dehydrated to say the least.
Early-ish night was had by all
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:26:42 pm by McSack »

Offline McSack

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 05:31:52 pm »
Day3 - Kameel to Marico Oog
Day started out with the only flat we had on the entire trip ...probably picked up at the campsite where some of the bikes were parked under a thorn tree the night before. Anyways.. luckily it was picked up at our fuel stop in Stella, so while the experts got busy with the repair the rest of us provided moral support and made short work of some dodgy grudge pies ...always important to keep the calorie count up on a trip like this
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:36:45 pm by McSack »

Offline Pyscho Porra

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Sworn To Fun and Loyal To Rum
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 06:30:29 pm »

Felt like North West by the seaI just had to pin it because I had McSack right behind me and you know those greeks, canít trust them behind you
"The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all"

Offline McSack

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2019, 08:26:53 am »
...and then we were off . Plan was to go Kraaipan...Mareetsane ...south of Mafekeng along a railway service road. Then head north of Lichtenburg and up to the Bokkraal road which would take us to Marico Oog for the night
But we got lost ...very lost. Somewhere along the line we stopped and asked for directions and we're sure that the dude purposefully gave us the wrong info. We  followed a tweespoor off into the bush which eventually just ran out in some cattle tracks going in every direction possible. Some bundu-bashing through Thorn Valley (as Keith dubbed it) ensued and eventually landed up finding the railway service road we originally planned ... Paul, Norbs and myself would like to think that this was totally due to our excellent navigational and gps skillz ...but at the end of the day , we found a walking track by pure luck which took us back to the railway . From there it was more sand (yay!) , not as bad as the previous day but never-the-less some tricksy tweespoor to make sure everyone was awake
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:29:29 am by McSack »

The following users thanked this post: MRK Miller

Offline McSack

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 08:57:30 am »

Sent from my BV9500 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: MRK Miller

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 09:22:34 am »
Love those open dirt roads  :ricky:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 12:02:40 pm »
I need the route - I want to go play there too!!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 12:57:57 pm »

Felt like North West by the seaI just had to pin it because I had McSack right behind me and you know those greeks, canít trust them behind you

Dont I know them greeks  :laughing4:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 07:15:02 pm »
Day3 - Kameel to Marico Oog
Day started out with the only flat we had on the entire trip ...probably picked up at the campsite where some of the bikes were parked under a thorn tree the night before. Anyways.. luckily it was picked up at our fuel stop in Stella, so while the experts got busy with the repair the rest of us provided moral support and made short work of some dodgy grudge pies ...always important to keep the calorie count up on a trip like this

The Millers made this look easy. Even Eben helped super proud of them boys