Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Drone fotos/videos  (Read 16478 times)

Online noble steed

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
Re: Drone fotos/videos
« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2020, 08:43:15 am »
A staircase to the sand and a fishermanís shadow early this morning.

Offline ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #361 on: January 29, 2020, 08:49:13 am »
Very nice @noble steed !
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #362 on: January 29, 2020, 10:12:14 am »
Just received the Mavic Mini Flymore a few days ago. Lots to learn and it seems to take brilliant pictures. Here are a few pics while playing around at my house in Lonehill - nothing too exciting. I didnt go too far or too high as Im not brave enough for that yet, but plan to take it on some of our trips. Chose the mini due to flight time and the size of it. Will try take it to Phuket this week but as we are spending some time in Dubai also Im a bit worried they will confiscate it at the airport as they are very strict there apparently.
Flight time seems to be around 22 minutes for me but thats with lots of messing around learning it, so possibly why.
Pics of the Jukskei River and our house. Milo, my daughters dog is not too impressed by it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:17:23 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline WP

« Reply #363 on: January 29, 2020, 10:21:13 am »
I recently bought myself a Mavic pro platinum, but it is clear that I have ALOT to learn. Have only been messing around in beginner mode and it is very clear that the drone's capabilities far exceed my own. What is the best way to get started and comfortable with the drone? I am not really allowed to fly where I live seeing as I am quite close to Waterkloof airforce base.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #364 on: January 29, 2020, 10:32:05 am »
Drone video by Dawie Roos from a ride we did to the Rhino in December

How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

The following users thanked this post: EssBee

Offline dual

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #365 on: January 29, 2020, 11:22:00 am »
Rooisand natuur reservaat naby Kleinmond, vanoggend

Offline ChristoffGS

« Reply #366 on: January 29, 2020, 11:34:32 am »
I recently bought myself a Mavic pro platinum, but it is clear that I have ALOT to learn. Have only been messing around in beginner mode and it is very clear that the drone's capabilities far exceed my own. What is the best way to get started and comfortable with the drone? I am not really allowed to fly where I live seeing as I am quite close to Waterkloof airforce base.

Hi WP,

I would suggest finding yourself a nice open field to do some practice flying.  As it is with many things, the more airtime you get the more comfortable you will become.  First master flying the drone before taking photos and videos.  There is a aspect of hand-eye coordination which you need to get used to.  For example flying towards you with the front of the aircraft pointing to you is not as simple as it sounds.  This only becomes second nature with a lot of practice.

I've done a 130 flights with my spark.  I still go out to fly every now and then just to improve my skills.

What helped me a lot was that I got a little tello drone before I got the spark.  Makes the learning experience much less stressful as any possible damage would not cost you near as much as if a accident were to happen with your Mavic.

My 2c.
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline WP

« Reply #367 on: January 29, 2020, 11:48:23 am »

Hi WP,

I would suggest finding yourself a nice open field to do some practice flying.  As it is with many things, the more airtime you get the more comfortable you will become.  First master flying the drone before taking photos and videos.  There is a aspect of hand-eye coordination which you need to get used to.  For example flying towards you with the front of the aircraft pointing to you is not as simple as it sounds.  This only becomes second nature with a lot of practice.

I've done a 130 flights with my spark.  I still go out to fly every now and then just to improve my skills.

What helped me a lot was that I got a little tello drone before I got the spark.  Makes the learning experience much less stressful as any possible damage would not cost you near as much as if a accident were to happen with your Mavic.

My 2c.

Thanks for the advice Christoff. I actually have a Tello, but found it very limiting with regards to flying in wind and flying time.

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2020, 08:26:41 am »
If you want to start flying a stabilised drone but not ever move to fully manual, get one of these.
Learn your left from right and how to fly.

https://www.takealot.com/jjrc-h36-mini-quadcopter-drone/PLID47439894

Offline WP

« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2020, 08:36:13 am »
If you want to start flying a stabilised drone but not ever move to fully manual, get one of these.
Learn your left from right and how to fly.

https://www.takealot.com/jjrc-h36-mini-quadcopter-drone/PLID47439894

I actually can fly the drone quite well, I guess my issue is more an issue of trusting the tech enough to go further and higher. So basically I need to build the confidence to fly a R20k drone further and higher and trusting that it won't go pearshaped...

Offline briv

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2020, 03:27:34 pm »
What phones do chaps use? I used a Huawei P9 Lite but can not get to FCC mode.... I believe it does not connect 5.8ghz.
oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS

is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)

Offline ChristoffGS

« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2020, 04:23:14 pm »
What phones do chaps use? I used a Huawei P9 Lite but can not get to FCC mode.... I believe it does not connect 5.8ghz.
For better distance you want to use the 2.4GHz bandwidth between the controller and the aircraft, however, you cannot connect your phone to the controller, and the controller to the aircraft, on the same bandwidth.  In other words you will have to connect the controller to the aircraft on 2.4 and then your phone to the controller on 5.8.
 Most android phones cannot make use of the 5.8GHz bandwidth (as will be the case with your P9 Lite).  If you want to to use the 2.4GHz bandwidth between the controller and the aircraft you will have to connect your phone to the controller via OTG cable.  This is the way my setup works with my P20 Lite.

I hope I did not confuse myself now ;D

EDIT:  Found a similar post on the DJI forum:
1st of all, do you use iOS or Android? I'm guessing Android hence your trouble with the 2.4 & 5.8GHz bands.

2nd the problem Android users encounter when trying to use the 2.4 GHz band (RC -> Spark) is such: in order to use the 2.4GHz band without an OTG-cable, the RC -> phone connection has to switch to 5.8 GHz. However, a lot of android devices can't connect to this band (for whatever reasons). Using a device which is running iOS solves this, as they have no trouble using this band.

In order to use the 2.4GHz band, which in Europe drastically increases range and image transmission sability, your mobile device has to connect to the RC via 5.8GHz and the RC -> Spark connection switches to 2.4GHz.
Using a OTG-cable is the only way for some android users to change the RC -> Spark connection to 2.4GHz, as the RC -> mobile device connection is no loger using WiFi and thus the 2.4GHz band becomes available.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 04:24:49 pm by ChristoffGS »
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

The following users thanked this post: briv

Offline briv

« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2020, 06:57:21 pm »
Thanks C that clears it up, but I battle to get the phone to see the USB connection when I plug the OSB cable in then connect it to the controller with the charging cable..... BTW I sold the p9s and am looking for a new dedicated phone 2nd hand

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2020, 07:06:35 pm »
Android needs to be allowed to use the USB properly in the rights settings.
IOS is perfect and flying with anything other than a OTG cable is a waste of time.

Offline briv

« Reply #374 on: January 31, 2020, 08:40:42 am »
IOS is perfect and flying with anything other than a OTG cable is a waste of time.

Would a I phone 6 work ?

Online noble steed

« Reply #375 on: January 31, 2020, 09:55:13 am »

Would a I phone 6 work ?

I use an iPhone 6 with DJi Go4, it works, but barely, sometimes shuts down app on first boot, and accessing the editor is REALLY slow. Donít have problems during actual Flying though (once it gets to the flying screen) Also fly with an iPhone SE occasionally  (same chip and ram as 6S) and app works much smoother

Not sure how this translates to app demand with the new fly app for mavic mini.

The following users thanked this post: briv

Offline briv

« Reply #376 on: January 31, 2020, 10:37:45 am »

Would a I phone 6 work ?

I use an iPhone 6 with DJi Go4, it works, but barely, sometimes shuts down app on first boot, and accessing the editor is REALLY slow. Donít have problems during actual Flying though (once it gets to the flying screen) Also fly with an iPhone SE occasionally  (same chip and ram as 6S) and app works much smoother

I presume you use the OTG cable, and if you fly a Spark could you do the FCC hack thing ?

Online noble steed

« Reply #377 on: January 31, 2020, 12:13:44 pm »

Would a I phone 6 work ?

I presume you use the OTG cable, and if you fly a Spark could you do the FCC hack thing ?

Use the cable to connect to controller. Have never flown a spark, so not sure about the hack. I fly a mavic pro 1