Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Drone fotos/videos  (Read 8956 times)

FanieKrismis, Sprocketbek and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Drone fotos/videos
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2019, 02:42:09 pm »
As long as the guys who are posting pics with their watermark proudly displayed have their RPL

Its fairly common knowledge that literally anyone with an RPL or ROC will report anyone who doesnt, Anyone investing about R300k into an ROC or just the R25k into an RPL instantly feels like they are the drone police. I see it all the time, our company operates under licence from another company who has an ROC, so there are ways to get around it, as long as the drone is registered with the company holding the ROC

Bottom line is if you don't have the correct licencing just keep your images off networks or social media, if they can track you through watermarks on your pics the CAA will,

My 2c

It was my understanding that I do not, by law, need a RPL if I do not intend to use my aircraft for commercial purposes.  Are you saying that by putting a watermark on my photos that makes it commercialized? @Fuzzy Muzzy
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 02:59:59 pm »
100% correct

Once you watermark a pic and you post it then its considered published which is covered by publishing laws, and is deemed commercial as you are in effect attaching a copyright. For example, if i take your photo and use it without your permission and it wins a prize in a competition would you sue me for the winnings.. yes you would, so it has commercial value. Its just a simplistic representation.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the licencing and I really recommend that everyone with drones brushes up on the requirements

In a nutshell.. if you just fly a drone as a hobby or just for your own personal interest, then you need a RPL. .. if you are flying for commercial gain then you need an ROC. Just because you are not making money doing it as a hobby does not mean you don't need an RPL.. you do. For most people it comes down to insurance coverage. I have no idea why they are still selling drones without the required licencing.. sometimes what you find is that when people buy drones the company they are buying from state that it comes with "a licence" but that is just the actual licence of the drone which you register with the CAA, so a lot of people buy drones thinking that they are legal.

Personally I think an RPL is a rip off and the CAA have no way of policing it.. that being said I would'nt be positing my drone pics on the net with a way of someone being able to trace it back to me because as they say in court, ignorance is not a defense and the fines are rolling in for some guys who have been blogging etc posting vids from drones.

What the CAA is banking on is that there are 1000's of disillusioned drone pilots out there who thought that when they get their RPL they can fast track a career in the drone industry where nothing is further from the truth,

Fly, enjoy.. just be careful where you publish IMO
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:08:00 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline ChristoffGS

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2019, 03:09:50 pm »
100% correct

Once you watermark a pic and you post it then its considered published and is deemed commercial. For example, if i take your photo and use it without your permission and it wins a prize in a competition would you sue me for the winnings.. yes you would, so it has commercial value.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the licencing and I really recommend that everyone with drones brushes up on the requirements

In a nutshell.. if you just fly a drone as a hobby or just for your own personal interest, then you need a RPL. .. if you are flying for commercial gain then you need an ROC. Just because you are not making money doing it as a hobby does not mean you don't need an RPL.. you do. For most people it comes down to insurance coverage. I have no idea why they are still selling drones without the required licencing.. sometimes what you find is that when people buy drones the company they are buying from state that it comes with "a licence" but that is just the actual licence of the drone which you register with the CAA, so a lot of people buy drones thinking hat they are legal.

Personally I think an RPL is a rip off and the CAA have no way of policing it.. that being said I would'nt be positing my drone pics on the net with a way of someone being able to trace it back to me because as they say in court, ignorance is not a defense and the fines are rolling in for some guys who have been blogging etc posting vids from drones.

What the CAA is banking on is that there are 1000's of disillusioned drone pilots out there who thought that when they get their RPL they can fast track a career in the drone industry where nothing is further from the truth,

Fly, enjoy.. just be careful where you publish.
Well then, I suppose this thread is useless as the point was to share drone photos  :deal: .  Will remove my photos and rather stick to giving advise.
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2019, 03:12:52 pm »
100% correct

Once you watermark a pic and you post it then its considered published and is deemed commercial. For example, if i take your photo and use it without your permission and it wins a prize in a competition would you sue me for the winnings.. yes you would, so it has commercial value.

In a nutshell.. if you just fly a drone as a hobby or just for your own personal interest, then you need a RPL. .. if you are flying for commercial gain then you need an ROC. Just because you are not making money doing it as a hobby does not mean you don't need an RPL.. you do. For most people it comes down to insurance coverage. I have no idea why they are still selling drones without the required licencing.. sometimes what you find is that when people buy drones the company they are buying from state that it comes with "a licence" but that is just the actual licence of the drone which you register with the CAA, so a lot of people buy drones thinking hat they are legal.

Fly, enjoy.. just be careful where you publish.
Well then, I suppose this thread is useless as the point was to share drone photos  :deal: .  Will remove my photos and rather stick to giving advise.

Jip you will have less trouble riding your quad around on the beach without a helmet than flying drones these days....
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2019, 03:16:59 pm »
Well, fuck them................... :deal:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline ChristoffGS

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2019, 03:18:17 pm »
:laughing4:  I like your attitude!
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline onderbroek

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2019, 03:20:26 pm »
Ek het n phantom 4 gehad vir n rukkie:

Sasolburg het nie baie nie, en ek mag nie oor die fabrieke vlieg nie >:D

hak vrystaat

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2019, 03:57:04 pm »

pretty much.. frankly the CAA can go get knotted.

I phoned the CAA, e-mailed them more times than I can count trying to get legal.. its crazy that within their own department they are clueless beyond just sending out the requirements. They cannot police it , so about 90% of drone pilots are illegal in SA..

Hence why I say fly.. enjoy.. but one should not be reckless at the same point
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2019, 03:57:32 pm »
Here's some pics I took with my Phantom pro.

1st pic - selfie on a project in Cape town
2nd & 3rd pics - first flight, in front of my office in Melkbos
4th pic - project in Melkbos
5th pic, from Melkbos
6th, Melkbos, bit higher

Offline grim101

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2019, 08:07:46 pm »
As long as the guys who are posting pics with their watermark proudly displayed have their RPL

Its fairly common knowledge that literally anyone with an RPL or ROC will report anyone who doesnt, Anyone investing about R300k into an ROC or just the R25k into an RPL instantly feels like they are the drone police. I see it all the time, our company operates under licence from another company who has an ROC, so there are ways to get around it, as long as the drone is registered with the company holding the ROC

Bottom line is if you don't have the correct licencing just keep your images off networks or social media, if they can track you through watermarks on your pics the CAA will,

My 2c

And if there's no watermark on the photo? Does it still matter?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 10:28:34 pm by grim101 »
XT 250
XL 500
KLR 650 (Fugly)
DL 650

Online Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2019, 10:53:15 am »
Having been involved in aviation for 10 years, and having just done my test for my RPL, I share Fuzzy’s frustrations with the CAA.
From the little exposure I have had to the world of “drones”, I have seen the CAA create ridiculous regulations, perhaps in an attempt to be overly cautious rather than be more relaxed and have something go wrong. But as Fuzzy said, they aren’t policing it. They don’t have the man power to.

My question was asked not because I am one of those “drone police”. But because I was curious to find out if the retailers are aware of the rules and regulations. The CAA should do an awareness drive with all of the retailers. And enforce the rules right from the start. It won’t solve illegal drones, but it is a step in the right direction.

I still struggle to navigate the CAA website and regulations, so it’s understandable that Oom Piet on the Plaas won’t having a cooking clue about all the laws he might be breaking.

It is becoming a competitive industry with mega bucks to be made.
A big thing is estate agents using drones for aerial shots of properties. Illegal to do without an RPL and ROC on so many levels. But no one has been correctly educated.

It is also a privacy and safety concern for those you are flying around. Those things are damn annoying. Nothing like chilling on a Table Mountain then hearing a giant mosquito buzzy around. (Drones are prohibited in national parks).

I am ranting with little structure so I am going to stop here.
As Fuzzy said, be careful guys and gals. Have fun, but don’t fly within 50m of people or buildings, on private land, above 500ft AGL, beyond line of sight, have VHF radio (for which you need a restricted radio Licence for yourself, and a Licence for the radio itself) and and and and and  :deal:

Offline grim101

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2019, 08:30:30 pm »
Huisrivierpas. Wonderlik hoe baie spekbos groei in die gedeelte.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:48:37 pm by grim101 »
XT 250
XL 500
KLR 650 (Fugly)
DL 650

Offline grim101

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2019, 09:45:43 pm »
Net Buite Merweville. Kan dorp sien in verte.

Dis baie sleg op meeste plekke :'( :'(. So 20km van hier af is daar die mooiste groen kol en daarna weer niks tot in Prins Albert
XT 250
XL 500
KLR 650 (Fugly)
DL 650

Offline grim101

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2019, 08:44:31 pm »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
XT 250
XL 500
KLR 650 (Fugly)
DL 650

The following users thanked this post: windswept

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2019, 09:18:33 pm »
Awesome pic Grim101

Offline grim101

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2019, 02:18:13 am »
Awesome pic Grim101

Thanks. Still learning :)
XT 250
XL 500
KLR 650 (Fugly)
DL 650

Offline grim101

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2019, 02:20:28 am »
 :)
XT 250
XL 500
KLR 650 (Fugly)
DL 650

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2019, 02:31:55 pm »
Toe ons Februariemaand vanjaar 84mm reën oor 3 dae gehad het het die rivier mooi afgeloop.

Untitled by Dors lander, on Flickr
Geleerdheid in die kop van 'n dwaas is soos 'n lemmetjie in die hand van 'n aap.

CJ Langenhoven

The following users thanked this post: grim101

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2019, 02:34:16 pm »
Selfs my leidam het bietjie water gekry, ongelukkig té min om nat te lei.

Untitled by Dors lander, on Flickr
Geleerdheid in die kop van 'n dwaas is soos 'n lemmetjie in die hand van 'n aap.

CJ Langenhoven

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2019, 04:58:39 pm »