Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Drone fotos/videos  (Read 22611 times)

Offline Wayne

Re: Drone fotos/videos
« Reply #220 on: June 30, 2019, 01:46:34 pm »
Sad news i lost my Mavic Pro in Montagu Pass near George this morning. Pity because i had really great shots on it.
Insured I hope?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #221 on: June 30, 2019, 03:10:55 pm »
Sad news i lost my Mavic Pro in Montagu Pass near George this morning. Pity because i had really great shots on it.

I know the feeling, lost mine 2 weeks ago in a gorge in the former Transkei.  According to the locals a Fish Eagle attached the damn thing and it went down.  According to the locals it is a full days hike into that area.  I had a R1 000 reward out in recovery of the drone, but no success.  Luckily I am insured.  :eek7:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #222 on: June 30, 2019, 05:41:43 pm »
Insured I hope?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Nope.

I know the feeling, lost mine 2 weeks ago in a gorge in the former Transkei.  According to the locals a Fish Eagle attached the damn thing and it went down.  According to the locals it is a full days hike into that area.  I had a R1 000 reward out in recovery of the drone, but no success.  Luckily I am insured.  :eek7:

I have a feeling a bird took mine down as well.

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #223 on: June 30, 2019, 06:44:50 pm »
Fixer-uppers in the area, part one...

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2019, 07:28:08 pm »

Mooi foto's Kobus. Wanneer was jy daar?
Ek het gister ook daar gestop - jou 1ste pic.

Laaste een lyk soos Eselbank pad?

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #225 on: June 30, 2019, 07:34:57 pm »

Ek vermoed julle het van voor af by my verby gery gisteroggenx waar mens begin afgaan Oasis toe Op Die Berg se kant af, drie bikes, twee met pillion en een sonder?

Ja die ander was voor Eselbank gewees, daarna het ek waterval toe gegaan het daar ook n paar geneem.

En toe sien ek Wupperthal, wow dit is sad om die dorpie te sien soos dit nou lyk  :'(

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #226 on: June 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm »

Ek vermoed julle het van voor af by my verby gery gisteroggenx waar mens begin afgaan Oasis toe Op Die Berg se kant af, drie bikes, twee met pillion en een sonder?

Ja die ander was voor Eselbank gewees, daarna het ek waterval toe gegaan het daar ook n paar geneem.

En toe sien ek Wupperthal, wow dit is sad om die dorpie te sien soos dit nou lyk  :'(

Ja dit was ons. Ai, dat ons mekaar nou so kon mis.
Het 2 aande by Oasis geslaap en net Saterdag by Padstal gaan eet.
Waar het julle oorgebly?

Die Eselbank pad is ongelooflik mooi, en daarteenoor is Wuppertal se huidige stand net so tragies.

Offline ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #227 on: June 30, 2019, 08:16:07 pm »
Oh no! My worst nightmare. What happened @Captain Zef?
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline BossPierreLombard

« Reply #228 on: June 30, 2019, 08:29:11 pm »

Last year I lost my Garmin Montana ( hopped out the Tourtech mount - a piece of string would have saved me on that one ) in the Anyberg Reserve.

Then just before Seweweekspoort Pass I noticed my  Gopro mount broke - the mount stayed but the gopro left.

I was sad when the gps was gone, and after the Gopro left = freedom; just me on the bike with no worries of batteries and recording.

Now with a SPARK - i find its a whole lot more effort.

Pack it safely and securely. Then stop, unpack, lift off - record- land, pack up - ride on.

But with effort comes reward..

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #229 on: June 30, 2019, 08:33:19 pm »

Got distracted by some beautiful scenery then reversed into the side of the mountain while trying to compose a shot.
I tracked the position. I will go back tomorrow morning to try and retrieve it.

Simple mistake by me.

Offline ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #230 on: July 01, 2019, 06:58:17 am »

Got distracted by some beautiful scenery then reversed into the side of the mountain while trying to compose a shot.
I tracked the position. I will go back tomorrow morning to try and retrieve it.

Simple mistake by me.
Good luck.  Let us know the outcome!
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline noble steed

« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2019, 09:12:30 am »

Did your insurance pay out with the fish eagle?

I lost my Mavic last year in the ocean chasing whales, insurance entertained the claim until they found it was airborne, then refused it due to all the small print... Only insured if on the ground/theft etc.

When I first got mavic I chatted to operator and other brokers and none where prepared to ensure during flight unless you had a RPL. Also none prepared to provide any liability cover.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #232 on: July 01, 2019, 11:38:50 am »
Thats exactly why i did not even bother with flight insurance.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #233 on: July 01, 2019, 11:42:52 am »
Anyway its lost boys. I went back to the location after tracking it. Its very high above any road or path on a steep section. You will need to be pretty fit and handy with ropes to recover that bastard.

For now i will see all my Mavic parts. I will buy a Mavic Pro 2 when i get some more US Dollars.

Offline noble steed

« Reply #234 on: July 01, 2019, 12:25:51 pm »
Anyway its lost boys. I went back to the location after tracking it. Its very high above any road or path on a steep section. You will need to be pretty fit and handy with ropes to recover that bastard.

For now i will see all my Mavic parts. I will buy a Mavic Pro 2 when i get some more US Dollars.

I was very tempted to buy an M2pro when I lost mine, but had extra M1 batteries etc, and money was a little tight, so R16k got a refurb Mavic 1 with extra battery, so now have 3 batteries with those I already had, instead of R37k for an M2pro with spare batteries.

Yes I sometimes miss the extra dynamic range on the photos. But apparently video can be quite complex to work with on M2Pro, h.265 needs much more processing power than h.264 (which my i7/1060 barely copes with in editing) and some odd video resolutions, either crops to centre 12MP of sensor for 'HQ' mode with a cropped sensor zoom effect, or full wide angle but looses sharpness as the algorithm to assign odd number pixels from the full sensor to 4K looses some sharpness.

That said, if I had the $$ I'd still like to spend it on M2... Drones are like bikes, you can never have too many

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #235 on: July 01, 2019, 12:28:23 pm »
There is no way i am paying R37k for a MPro 2.

Wait a little while i will buy it for R15k in the states.

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2019, 01:22:31 pm »

Did your insurance pay out with the fish eagle?

I lost my Mavic last year in the ocean chasing whales, insurance entertained the claim until they found it was airborne, then refused it due to all the small print... Only insured if on the ground/theft etc.

When I first got mavic I chatted to operator and other brokers and none where prepared to ensure during flight unless you had a RPL. Also none prepared to provide any liability cover.

Will let you now, at the moment busy with them.  Will inform you guys of the outcome.     :thumleft: :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #237 on: July 01, 2019, 06:00:54 pm »

Ja dit was ons. Ai, dat ons mekaar nou so kon mis.
Het 2 aande by Oasis geslaap en net Saterdag by Padstal gaan eet.
Waar het julle oorgebly?

Die Eselbank pad is ongelooflik mooi, en daarteenoor is Wuppertal se huidige stand net so tragies.

Ek was aleen daar, het by C5 by die vuur gesit meeste van die tyd nadat ek die middag Truitjieskraal gaan plat loop het.

Eselbank pad is great, die hele area kort net water, nie een van die normale stroompies loop nie, end die Eselbank waterval loop ook maar effe.

Sal weer so oor 'n maand gaan kyk of daar al bietjie maar water is.

Clanwilliam Dam is net so naar leeg, end die rivier loop, maar nie baie sterk nie.

Edit:  As jy weer gaan, maak plan om by Wupperthal langs die Tra-Tra rivier so ent in te ry, dit is besonders mooi, veral wanneer die blomme begin.
Daar kan wel 'n paar water crossings wees, en die pad loop dood so mens moet genoeg tyd en brandstof beplan om in, en uit te kan ry.
Baie lekker 4x4 trip vir die gesin vir 'n piekniek langs die rivier.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:03:20 pm by Geel Kat »

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2019, 04:24:44 pm »
You will need to be pretty fit and handy with ropes to recover that bastard.

Use a drone.

Offline Dustman

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • We know less than what we don't know
« Reply #239 on: July 03, 2019, 12:41:48 pm »
With a magnet tied underneath.........dunno if drones have any metal in them  :peepwall:
"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."