Solo ride to Cape Agulhas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hardy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Thursday 18th August dawned a beautifull sunny day after all the rain that we had, so I thought a trip down the most southern point of Africa was a good idea. Had breckfast with the wife and then said "see you later,I'm off".
She mumbled some thing about having to work all the time, I just smiled, put my helmet on and started my ride.

The route was to take the coastal rode from Gordons Bay to Hermanus,then on to Gansbaai and then to Die Dam. This was all tar roads, but what beautifull tar roads. The sea on your right and the mountains on the left, with as many corners to throw the bike into as you like. Oh and the whales are here, saw whales on three occations even before getting to Hermanus.

At "die Dam" you finaly leave the tar and venture on to some really fast dirt roads. This is about 50/60Km long and is a blast to ride.Turn Left at T-junction,

And follow the dirt

One of the many sweeping corners

There is some traffic on the road, cant get away from the damb cagers

The last 3Km was fun, like riding on ball bearings

Then turn right and its not far now to the tip of Africa

Nearly there

Even closer

Made it, what a feeling to be at the bottom of this wonderful continent

Arty Farty pic

Meet this carrector from Croatia, He has been traveling for the past 2 years though Africa.

Light House

It was time to hit the road again. The route was all tar again and would take me through Bredasdorp, Napier, Caledon, Grabouw, and back to Cape Town. The road is fun to ride with it going throughsome of the most beautiful farm lands, tons of sweeping corners, uphill, downhill the lot.

Last smoke stop in Grabouw

Total Dist....522Km
What a tremendous day.