Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Surprised living with a 1050 Adventure  (Read 998 times)

Online JK

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Surprised living with a 1050 Adventure
« on: April 08, 2019, 06:20:09 pm »
Due to the legendary KTM reliability i have now had to for almost a month live with a 1050 Adventure loaned to me by the dealer.
And i must say what a lekker surprise it has been so far  :thumleft:
If u are not hell bent on doing serious dirt and u are not manic about speed then this bike makes so much sense
I obviously commute every day and the bike being shorter than the 1090 does help a lot for us kortgatte to feel a bit more surefooted when having to put down feet at robots etc. Wonderfull smooth ride and yeah the full road tyres has a lot to do with that but all in all this bike to my mind is like a KTM Versys  :lol8:
And looking at what prices they are coming up these days i can almost go back to having 2 bikes again. 1 for commute and 1 for dirt  :ricky:
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
Re: Surprised living with a 1050 Adventure
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 06:48:34 pm »
A month?  Whatís wrong with your 1090?

Offline Noneking

Surprised living with a 1050 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 07:32:44 pm »
Iím on my second 1090 - the first was replaced after it spent 5 weeks in total at dealership.

Also curious to find out whatís wrong with yours.....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:33:08 pm by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 07:49:58 am »
Subscribed to also find out what's wrong with the 1090.

Ans 2 bikes always makes sense!
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online JK

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 11:07:03 am »
The frame needs to be replaced as the brackets that holds the headcluster has broken off. Apparently it is not an isolated incident and there has been a few of these:patch:

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 11:16:10 am »
The frame needs to be replaced as the brackets that holds the headcluster has broken off. Apparently it is not an isolated incident and there has been a few of these:patch:

Ahhhh bugger.  Molten knows that story :biggrin:

Even the "Fixes" I've seen for this don't seem like they'll help much. They still bolt to the same 2 little welded posts.

It does make me worry about the 1290, because that headlight and dash must be way heavier than the 11/1090s :o

Offline Dish

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 12:21:00 pm »
Finally thrilled to hear someone say something good about the 1050. 15 Months ago a group of my mates who own all manner of things announced that they were doing a "black horse" run and that I should join. I am a KTM bigot so merrily made my way to Ktm to see what they had. A really good oke called Matt arranged me the loan of a demo 1090 which I took with open arms. Did the run and came Monday needed to return it. It was with a sore heart that I gave it back. Here's the thing though, the demo model was 135k. So we parted ways on the promise that if something similar was to come in he would let me know. Not two days later I received a call that a 1050 was coming in an that the owner was upgrading to a 1290. Whipped down to KTM and the deal was done.

The 1050 with 17500 kms, full service history, crash bars and a tinted screen was below 100k - Now I don't ride everyday. I don't commute on it except for the odd Friday. I ride weekends with mates and mainly weekends away. Procured a lekker KTM top box from a forum member and a set of nelson rigg saddlebags and done. What more do I need. I have a great bike for a price that was agreeable for me. To each his own I guess.

I ride regularly with a group of triumph 1200's a 1290R a few bmw gs's and even a triumph 800. At no stage do I feel inadequate, too slow, or not capable. Down Sani pass was a pleasure as she is light enough. They say its mapped the same as the 1090 < up until 6000 rpm. I dont care if it is or isn't. it works for me. I get great fuel consumption, she's capable and more than quick enough for me. I love my 1050 !!

Pic attached.

Online JK

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 01:38:47 pm »
@ Dish  :thumleft: lekker bike and yes it sounds like u bought the right bike for what u wanna do.
Now there is quite a few places off road i wont take the 1050 but as u have seen on nowadays's Sani she does good dirt with no issues. Not sure if this one was fiddled with but i dont feel any issues on or after 6000rpm. She pulls strong all the way and i have seen 215km/h with a topbox on the back.  :thumleft:  Like u said its a LOTTA bike for what u are paying enjoy  :thumleft:

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 02:03:13 pm »
Finally thrilled to hear someone say something good about the 1050. 15 Months ago a group of my mates who own all manner of things announced that they were doing a "black horse" run and that I should join. I am a KTM bigot so merrily made my way to Ktm to see what they had. A really good oke called Matt arranged me the loan of a demo 1090 which I took with open arms. Did the run and came Monday needed to return it. It was with a sore heart that I gave it back. Here's the thing though, the demo model was 135k. So we parted ways on the promise that if something similar was to come in he would let me know. Not two days later I received a call that a 1050 was coming in an that the owner was upgrading to a 1290. Whipped down to KTM and the deal was done.

The 1050 with 17500 kms, full service history, crash bars and a tinted screen was below 100k - Now I don't ride everyday. I don't commute on it except for the odd Friday. I ride weekends with mates and mainly weekends away. Procured a lekker KTM top box from a forum member and a set of nelson rigg saddlebags and done. What more do I need. I have a great bike for a price that was agreeable for me. To each his own I guess.

I ride regularly with a group of triumph 1200's a 1290R a few bmw gs's and even a triumph 800. At no stage do I feel inadequate, too slow, or not capable. Down Sani pass was a pleasure as she is light enough. They say its mapped the same as the 1090 < up until 6000 rpm. I dont care if it is or isn't. it works for me. I get great fuel consumption, she's capable and more than quick enough for me. I love my 1050 !!

Pic attached.

I actually think it is a simple mapping issue that keeps the power down on the 1050 compared to the 1090. The motor components are the same from what I remember. The 1090 is actually a 1050cc.   So it makes sense.

Offline Grunder

• Moose and Squirrel
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 02:12:33 pm »

Pic attached.

I looked at this bike for ages!! At that time it was a bit out of my range.

If I'm not mistaken it is mapped the same as the 1190 up to 6000rpm's (might also be mapped same as the 1090).  The 1090 came after the 1050 due to the carbon omission  changes.

Either way, I still love this bike.  I like how it looks  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 02:13:31 pm by Grunder »
Carpe bm

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 02:48:45 pm »
I looked at this bike for ages!! At that time it was a bit out of my range.

If I'm not mistaken it is mapped the same as the 1190 up to 6000rpm's (might also be mapped same as the 1090).  The 1090 came after the 1050 due to the carbon omission  changes.

Either way, I still love this bike.  I like how it looks  :thumleft:

correct

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 03:16:44 pm »

Ahhhh bugger.  Molten knows that story :biggrin:

Even the "Fixes" I've seen for this don't seem like they'll help much. They still bolt to the same 2 little welded posts.

It does make me worry about the 1290, because that headlight and dash must be way heavier than the 11/1090s :o

I did have a little laugh just now :)

JK, you better check what they replace it with, otherwise it will only happen again.
Or better yet, pitch up with a welding machine and strengthen it while they have it disassembled. That is assuming you don't want to get to comfy on the 1050 as its a very weak design and will only happen again.

Online JK

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 09:05:43 pm »
Hey moltn yes i must say that yet again the Austrian logic does not make any sense to me. When i asked the dealer if i will be getting an upgraded frame where the issue has been adressed their very quick yes . . .did not make me very comfourtable. So i reached out to the KTM SA techies who proceeded to tell me it is not an issue with the frame and  it is actually caused by owners riding the bike with the bolts loose. Only when those 2 bolts are loose is when the bracket brakes off  :eek7: :patch:
Then also had the dealer DP tell me it is mostly caused by owners fitting the upper crashbars. . . Which i dont have fitted . . . :patch:
So we are back to where we have always been that SA is too small a percentage of the overall market for our issues to cause any deviation at the factory  :dousing:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:08:44 pm by JK »

Online Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 10:35:42 pm »
Lekka man  :thumleft:

I can see a 1090R in my future. I still love KTM to bits  :thumleft:

Offline Noneking

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 10:38:38 pm »
Lekka man  :thumleft:

I can see a 1090R in my future. I still love KTM to bits  :thumleft:

Jy sal moet goumaak.... Bleikbaar word 1090 gediscontinue
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Lear300

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 11:06:16 am »
Hey moltn yes i must say that yet again the Austrian logic does not make any sense to me. When i asked the dealer if i will be getting an upgraded frame where the issue has been adressed their very quick yes . . .did not make me very comfourtable. So i reached out to the KTM SA techies who proceeded to tell me it is not an issue with the frame and  it is actually caused by owners riding the bike with the bolts loose. Only when those 2 bolts are loose is when the bracket brakes off  :eek7: :patch:
Then also had the dealer DP tell me it is mostly caused by owners fitting the upper crashbars. . . Which i dont have fitted . . . :patch:
So we are back to where we have always been that SA is too small a percentage of the overall market for our issues to cause any deviation at the factory  :dousing:

Please post pictures......if you can.

Is this something I need to worry about on my bike? How do I go about checking it?

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 11:41:14 am »

Please post pictures......if you can.

Is this something I need to worry about on my bike? How do I go about checking it?

I only found pics from a RC8 but the design is the same.

The whole front end/dash/headlight assembly etc is mounted to these 2 horizontal mounts welded to the frame.  With the bouncing and vibration that the ADV bikes are subject to, it seems they can break the welds or the mounts themselves just break off the main frame section.

Some guys had some plates you'd mount to them that would supposedly re-inforce them but it didn't seem like much of a solution.  If you check out a video called "Nerb1 1190 nose bracket" or something like that it should come up with what I'm talking about.  The bracket didn't seem like it would fix the problem of the actual mounts breaking loose though.

I think Molten has some good pics of his broken mounts.

The following users thanked this post: Lear300

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 11:58:47 am »
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=204555.320

Pictures on that page of my thread,not very clean but an effective fix imo
I wasn't joking when I said go and have something welded in place to make those totters stronger. It doesn't take much of a technical background to see it as a weak design. Its not SA alone though, happens a lot to the overseas guys as well.
And I don't see how upper crash bars will have any impact, they don't mount anywhere near your head unit.

The following users thanked this post: Lear300

Offline Dish

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 12:10:55 pm »
Jumping back slightly, I believe that for European Licensing regs they had to "dumb down" the 1050, so to speak. Hence its mapped to the same as the 1190 until 6000 revs after that its a bit docile. Apparently to do with some legal requirement in Europe. Either way, I just think its a great all rounder. Not a bank balance killer, capable in most respects, probably weaker of road than some but again if I can wrestle it down Sani, that's about the worst im going to throw at it. Not about to lap corobrick or syringa spa... (theres an age giver awayer  ;D ;D)

Offline Grunder

• Moose and Squirrel
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 12:54:57 pm »
Jumping back slightly, I believe that for European Licensing regs they had to "dumb down" the 1050, so to speak. Hence its mapped to the same as the 1190 until 6000 revs after that its a bit docile. Apparently to do with some legal requirement in Europe. Either way, I just think its a great all rounder. Not a bank balance killer, capable in most respects, probably weaker of road than some but again if I can wrestle it down Sani, that's about the worst im going to throw at it. Not about to lap corobrick or syringa spa... (theres an age giver awayer  ;D ;D)
Agreed

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Carpe bm