Oasis Spitbraai - 5/6/7 April

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
Not so much a ride report, merely a description of a sequence of events.  8)

1. Some background.

The last time I visited Oasis was in 2012 with a 650 V-Strom.  After a series of “life” events, I sold my last bike during 2012 and was bike less up till 2018 when I bought myself a NC750X DCT.  The NC would be fine for everything I thought.  I fitted it with crash bars and Pirelli MT60’s. I dubbed it the “Mongrel” and basically used it for everything.

2. Challa

In the meantime, Challa (an old friend and colleague) got himself a XR125, as his daily commute with a car was very time consuming. He upgraded to a KLR650 “Die Kokkerot” and a proper ride was just a question of time.

3. Die Kokkerot and Mongrel does Oasis.

Forward to November 2018.  We decided to take on the Cederberg with Die Kokkerot and Mongrel and join other Dogs at the spitbraai.  The Mongrel behaved very well on the gravel up to the point where ABS was not needed coming doing the steep hill from Ceres side to Oasis.  After a lot of pant crapping and swearing I eventually made it safely to Oasis on Mongrel.  The fact that I am not a riding god didn’t help a lot either.  I was not looking forward to the return journey.  It got me safely home but I started looking around for something with a bit more adventure pretention.  As I had owned a Honda I went for test ride on an Africa Twin DCT and I fell in love.  I did everything possible to acquire one, but it just didn’t work out.

4. A BMW in my garage – NEVER!!!

Forward a few months later and I visited the guys at BikeBross where I bought the NC.  Wayne showed me a nice 2016 F800GS and the price was right.  Truth be told, I was never an ambassador of the specific brand.  As a matter of fact, I went so far as to say – a BMW in my garage – NEVER.  I started reading reviews on the forum and elsewhere and it seemed mostly positive.  The deal was done – the NC was traded in for a very good price and the F800GS acquired.  I fitted some extras and was ready for travel.  I did a few shake down runs on Durbanville gravel back roads and came away mightily impressed.  I dubbed the F800GS “Die Brommer” as a result of its buzzy exhaust note.

5. Die Kokkerot en Die Brommer does Oasis

So early on Friday 5 April we left Brackenfell on route to Oasis. We traveled via the Riebeeck’s to Citrusdal.  Die Brommer was buzzing along nicely and we made turns to ride in front.  We had some some brunch at Kardoesie and headed to Citrusdal where we saw some dogs.  Filled up in Citrusdal and headed to Oasis via Algeria.  We past the spot where Firecoast broke her ankle on a preverious ride.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=64021.msg1302931#msg1302931

The road was a bit sandy but Die Brommer and myself kinda found a rhythm.  We soon past Algeria and all was well.  There were some road works and the road was being scraped – first pant crap moment as the gravel was very loose with high middelmannetjie.  Got through that ok’ish and continued.  After some distance we passed a brave rider on a road bike.  The road became very loose and sandy.  I got a front end wobble and already saw myself flying over my newly acquired Isotta screen.  Somehow Die Brommer forgave me and the front Mitas gripped.  With a huge piece of seat in my ass we continued on and arrived safely at Oasis.
We were warmly welcomed as always.  Grabbed a beer and cooled off in the pool.  Some other dogs were slowly arriving as well. Had some lovely ribs for dinner.  Had a few drinks and went to bed early. 

6. Stadsaal

As we were never there before,  we thought it was a good idea to visit.  Gerrit explained all attractions thoroughly and gave us a map.  We paid for permits and left.  The roads in the reserve are a bit sandy and I was careful.  This is a beautiful site and must be visited if you have not seen it before.  We returned to Oasis for some more beer and pool chilling.  More dogs were arriving, and the day was slow and rustig.

7. Spit

The food was excellent and in abundance as always.  We ate till we couldn’t get up.  Had a night cap or 5 and went to bed.  Woke up early the morning as some of our neighbors had a conversation about power to weight ratio – that is the only part I was able to follow.  Caught some sleep and woke up early.  Had lovely breakfast, settled the bill and we were off direction Ceres.

8. Homeward bound.

We turned left at the fork were the gravel meets the tarmac direction Katbakkies.  Most of it is now tarred and it is beautiful.  The road between Katbakkies and Skittery was loose and Die Brommer and I danced.  Reached the R355 and turned left direction Tankwa Padstal.  Had some nice roosterkoek there.  Left direction Ceres.  The R355 were ok’ish in condition and we pushed a bit as I was getting LAS (lame ass syndrome).  Reached Ceres where we met a few Dogs at Engen having ice-cream – the stereotypical biker  :biggrin:.  We left for Brackenfell via Slanghoek where a stupid drunk bastard stopped in the middle of the road to chat up a chick. ABS on Die Brommer works nicely and I could hear Die Kokkerot almost locking up.  We stopped either side of this fellow and gave him a stern talking to Bellville style – lots  of P’s from his mother etc.

Eight mountain passes in total.

We arrived safe but tired.  Can’t wait to do it again.

Thanks to everyone at Oasis for all your hard work to make us feel welcome and filling our stomachs.

Till next time  :ricky:

Attachments

• Katbakkies.jpg
    Katbakkies.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 371
  • Oasis1.jpg
    Oasis1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 356
  • Oasis2.jpg
    Oasis2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 363
  • Oasis3.jpg