Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Looking for route inputs for Southern Africa  (Read 394 times)

Offline XT Adventures

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
    • XT Adventures
Looking for route inputs for Southern Africa
« on: April 12, 2019, 02:33:31 am »
Hello everyone,

my partner and I will be arriving in mid May in Johannesburg. Our bikes will arrive by airplane about the same time and from there we want to travel around Southern Africa and then up along the East Coast back to Europe. We are already travelling for over two years around the world with our bikes and this is our last section. We plan to take about a year from Johannesburg to Israel.

At the moment we are a bit struggling with a rough route through Southern Africa (not just South Africa but Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe).
We have following fixed dates:

• 18th of May - Start from Johannesburg (first stop probably Kruger NP with a rental car or so)
  • 5th of November - Presentation at the HUBB in South Africa
  • After the HUBB and probably some intensive days of servicing the bikes, we like to head towards Lesotho and Swazliand and then we would like to be on our way to Mozambique and then further up to Malawi, Tanzania and so on to make our way North

Therefore in the months of May to November we have time to explore South Africa, Namibia Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
How would you guys do the route? We know that it will be winter in South Africa but are still considering travelling towards Cape Town and then up to Nambibia. Is this really a bad idea or how do you locals see this? We are Swiss, so we can handle it if its not over 25 degrees ;) but of course we rather dont have weeks of rain.

Do you have any imputs to route (we like dirt roads but also scenic roads, sightseeing, good food and contact with some locals) and things we should not miss along the way?
And a complete other question: Is there a SIM card for phones that work in more than just South Africa? Which company can you recommend to get some data and phone time?

Thanks so much and cheers from Australia
Xenia & Tinu (https://xtadventures.ch)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:25:41 am by XT Adventures »
On a world trip since February 2017 on two XT660 (R and Z)

Offline schalk vd merwe

Re: Looking for route inputs for Southern Africa
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 02:42:16 pm »
You are welcome to come and stay at my place when you arrive in RSA, I will help you with your route planning. I stay 30 minutes from the airport in Johannesburg. I know SA like the palm of my hand and have also travelled through Africa 3 times. I have a spare double bedroom for you two, no charge. My contact details are 65livingthedream@gmail.com or +27 82 490 6723 for WhatsApp or phone. In the mean time read my RR under "Ride Reports" called "Living The dream Solo Around the World"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:46:55 pm by schalk vd merwe »
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

The following users thanked this post: XT Adventures

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 02:49:06 pm »
Best to buy a new sim card in every country.
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 07:25:19 am »
I don't think anyone would be able to give much better advice than Schalk. He has seen most of southern Africa and beyond. Very generous offer from you Schalk!

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 09:13:25 am »
I don't think anyone would be able to give much better advice than Schalk. He has seen most of southern Africa and beyond. Very generous offer from you Schalk!

Thanks roxenz for the compliment

Offline XT Adventures

• XT Adventures
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 04:44:54 am »
Thanks so much for the msg Schalk, I wrote you back. Great XT660R you have there!

Offline Colin Kaapschehoop

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Life is a journey, death is the destination
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 08:36:49 am »
I am near Nelspruit (Mbombela), near Kruger, you’re welcome to call and I’ll try helping with accommodation and other advice about the area including Swaziland & Moçambique. My advice initially is to be flexible and not make fixed plans before you get here. Things and conditions can change fast and different opportunities will arise as you travel & meet people along the way.

Offline XT Adventures

• XT Adventures
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 03:44:32 am »
Hey Colin, thanks a lot! Yeah we dont travel with too many plans and already are on the road for over 2 years, so we know how it goes but weather seasons and visas kinda already put some limitations so we just try to figure out what the best routes are to avoid too much back tracking. We contact you as soon as we are in SA and know when we come to your region. We def wanna have a look at Kruger NP and the region around before we head anywhere else.