Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GXCC 2019  (Read 316 times)

Offline Serf

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
GXCC 2019
« on: April 14, 2019, 04:14:15 pm »
Anyone racing this year?

My son yesterday.

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: GXCC 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 05:56:53 pm »
Nice pics there, serf, looks like he's on the pace ................  :thumleft:

I spent a small fortune getting me and the bike set up for this year but bust my leg just before the first race .............. so, out for the season.  :(

I might race again next year but I'll have to do another stress ECG coz of my age, and that's not cheap either. We'll see, still a long way to go to get back to full strength.

But, I'll be going to watch a couple races when they're on the West Rand. Maybe I'll look you up and come say howzit  :thumleft:

Don't you get a bit anxious with your son racing? The GXCC is by far the safest racing I've done but the speeds are high, very high!!
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Serf

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 08:12:37 pm »
Hi,

Yes, speed is insane. He is in the high school class on a yz125 which max out at 120km/h and just can't keep up with the 125 ktm's and Husqy's. Some of them do mid to high 130km/h!

Saturday was a 60km loop and mostly flat out stuff so top speed does make a difference. I dont even want to think wat speeds the OR1 guys were doing...

When he started racing last year we were not too stressed, but with every race i am getting more nervous. Saturday he was in 5th with about 13km to go with 6th place rider about 20 seconds behind him. My son had a big off about 2km from the end and lost a good 3 minutes. So when the other rider came in and my son not i really got worried. Luckily he is ok and finished 6th.

Maintenance of the 125 is a problem as it does not like these long high-speed stuff. My plan is to move him onto a yamaha 250fx in WOW class later in the season and then into OR3 next year.

Hope you recover soon and will be able to race again.

Next race is on 18 may in Bapsfontein - if you want to come and have a look.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:42:52 am »
Bapsfontein is not too far, so I might come to that one. Last weekend's race in Secunda was too far for me, just to wander round the pits, feeling jealous of the riders.

Is he allowed to move to WOW class? I thought that was for those who haven't had a MSA license before.

Offline Serf

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 06:59:21 pm »
Slegte nuus na saterdag se race. 'n Quad deelnemer is oorlede.

https://www.facebook.com/519476968077630/posts/2821320531226584/

Offline Serf

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 08:32:15 pm »
Top of the podium in OR3 Pro Amateur yesterday

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 08:28:58 am »
Must be the bike......  :biggrin:

Jokes aside, well done to the lad. Must be a great feeling, winning one of these races. It's tough riding, on bike and body, and there's some seriously fast guys out there.

Your son is now one of them  :thumleft:

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 08:07:44 am »
Saturday was the last race of the season and me, being the clown I am, decided it will be the first of my season.

Having bust a leg in January and only starting to walk again in April, I was nowhere near ready to ride anything. But I slowly got better and have been doing quite a bit of MTB riding, racing the 40km distances now.

So, surely I'm strong enough for a GXCC. Well, .....................I was wrong. Very wrong.

I nearly died, man , that race was hard. So much loose sand, and dust, and whoops, and tight twisties, and field furrows. It was the toughest race I've done for years, I only did 2 laps and gave up. I wasn't having fun at all, it was kak. I can't believe how non bike-fit I am. The difference is incredible, I always thought dirt bike racing was easy. I just was never skillfull enought to win, that's all.

It doesn't help having the heaviest bike there , but still, I've a long way to go before next season starts. And if I don't do the GXCCs next year, I'm not even gonna look at the Tankwa.

Roll on next year ......................... I will not let this little setback defeat me.

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 12:56:46 pm »
That's tough, Cracker - good luck for next year! Will come say hi if it's a race close to Pretoria.  :thumleft:
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

The following users thanked this post: Cracker