Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Op Die Berg - Rock thrown  (Read 1379 times)

Online Warren Ellwood

Op Die Berg - Rock thrown
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:45:09 am »
Saturday at around 11, we were nine bikes heading towards Katbakkies and as we approached Op Die Berg, there was a small group of people that included women, children and a late teens youngster who lobbed a large stone at the last bike in the convoy, literally right outside the town.

It hit Wayne's hand guard then came up and hit his bicep.

I give the heads up more because Wayne is a fairly skilled rider and whipped his Rally around, and chased after the now fleeing group, even when they crossed a ditch and assumed they were safe, he jumped the ditch and went into them with his bike, handing our a good few klappe along the way.

So we either have some people who have learned a lesson, or some people who will now be vengeful.

We had two ladies with us as well, I hate to think what the outcome would have been should the stone have hit one of them.

Anyway, be careful out there, I will now look at groups of people next to the road a little differently. One always assumes the farming folk in these little towns are friendly, but things like the addition of alcohol can cause them to make some stupid decisions.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

The following users thanked this post: ButtSlider

Offline Vintage_Mania

Re: Op Die Berg - Rock thrown
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 07:54:54 am »
Aai, this thing is starting to happen everywhere. I, too, have always thought the rural folk to be more friendly and accommodating, b ut this seems to have been a misconception on my part.

So we either have some people who have learned a lesson, or some people who will now be vengeful.

This ^^^^ is so endemic in SA these days. People creating their own bad luck, then not taking personal responsibility for it.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline ButtSlider

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • DRESS TO SLIDE BEFORE YOU RIDE
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 11:02:37 am »
Thanks for the heads-up Warren.  :thumleft:
Had the same thing a few months back coming into Mossel Bay.  >:(   Luckily saw the rock at the last minute and ducked.
BMW 800 GSA  \\ Honda XL700V  \\  Honda Blackbird  \\

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 11:14:10 am »
Stones being thrown at cyclist / bikers is nothing new from my experience.  Had it happen to me as far back as 2005. 

Then there was me, myself and I with a kettie in the 70's ......   :peepwall:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 11:15:00 am »
On my way a while ago to Jozie I also went through a smallish town where kids in school clothes (this was around 10am) was close to the road.
3 of them on seeing me immediately went to grab some rocks and then while hiding the rocks behind me waved very friendly and then as I approached tried to throw it at me.
Luckily I saw this happening so just as the 1st one's hand starting raising from behind him I swerved towards the bunch so they forgot to aim, but I was gatvol at this even happening and thinking about what could have happened.

It is so sad that the list of things we need to watch out for is just growing bigger and bigger
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline AfricaOffroad

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • + a few Honda CR500s
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 11:55:27 am »
This happened on and off. I think itís mostly a badly thought through prank, where they donít realize the consequences. Iíve chased a few throwers down and handed out a clap or two.

That said I remember one event, this lightie reached for a rock. I check him out and grab my brakes only to have my buddy who is not paying attention ram me up the arse. We both went tumbling down the road on our Enduro bikes. By the time the dust cleared the locals were missing in action. They must have had a good laugh at our expense, as did we afterwards
2017 KTM 350 Six Day
2018 Husqvarna TE 300
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Mommy Fairy :)
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 12:00:56 pm »
Saturday at around 11, we were nine bikes heading towards Katbakkies and as we approached Op Die Berg, there was a small group of people that included women, children and a late teens youngster who lobbed a large stone at the last bike in the convoy, literally right outside the town.

I give the heads up more because Wayne is a fairly skilled rider and whipped his Rally around, and chased after the now fleeing group, even when they crossed a ditch and assumed they were safe, he jumped the ditch and went into them with his bike, handing our a good few klappe along the way.

We had two ladies with us as well, I hate to think what the outcome would have been should the stone have hit one of them.

Anyway, be careful out there, I will now look at groups of people next to the road a little differently. One always assumes the farming folk in these little towns are friendly, but things like the addition of alcohol can cause them to make some stupid decisions.

And the difference is?
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 12:05:20 pm »

And the difference is?

Tread carefully now Warren..... :lol8: :lol8:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

The following users thanked this post: Warren Ellwood

Online 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 12:40:59 pm »
If it were me pillioning, I would be 10x angrier if a thrown rock hit my wife than if it hit me, maybe this is what Warren means   ;D
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Online Warren Ellwood

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 12:55:03 pm »
I am referring to my reaction, some fool hurts my wife like that and I am afraid a good few klappe is not going to suffice, I am going to get really nasty.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 01:13:45 pm »
SHOOT IN SELF DEFENSE  O0
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Online Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 02:24:26 pm »
This is probably all my fault for klapping a taxi mirror a while ago.

But on a serious note, this is very bad, and I would reslly like to know why they are doing it? Close to elections there are always this type of shit.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 02:27:07 pm »
This is probably all my fault for klapping a taxi mirror a while ago.

But on a serious note, this is very bad, and I would reslly like to know why they are doing it? Close to elections there are always this type of shit.

That, or just a bunch of bloody naughty and rather stupid kids.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 02:41:26 pm »

And the difference is?

:sip: I think as a generalisation women are more emotional when attacked.  :peepwall:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:43:28 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 02:55:08 pm »

And the difference is?

Hell hath no fury ..........    >:D
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline GRUNT

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Grunt
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 05:38:33 pm »
.....like a woman stoned
I am pure Krogan,you should be in awe!

Online JacquesM

• Vendors
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 09:01:33 pm »
We see this every now and then while cycling.

My perception is that it is mostly related to fetal alcohol syndrome, which means that they are not accountable.

We are now very aware of the possibility of having something thrown at us when passing a group of people, especially if there are youngsters present.

The following users thanked this post: Bundu

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 09:16:33 pm »
 related to fetal alcohol syndrome, which means that they are not accountable.

Jacques hulle weet presies wat hulle doen is verkeerd, want hoekom hardloop hulle weg as mens stop?
Hulle kyk maar net of mens dalk gaan val, want hulle weet die kans op bicycle en bike is baie groter en verder weet hulle ook die ruiter kan nie n skietding uitpluk terwyl hy altwee hande nodig het om te ry. Verder is hulle ook gewoonlik heel skerp om net die heel laaste persoon te gooi sodat die hele groep dit nie sien en almal hulle agterna sit.

In my hele lewe het ek nog net een persoon teŽgekom wat sigbare tekens van alkohol sindroom gehad het (die krom voor arms) 9 jaar saam met hom gewerk en nooit probleme gegee en was n baie betroubare en gewillige werker.

Die meeste wat ek al na gegooi is was op die pad tussen Opuvo en Epupa Falls. Kom alkohol sindroom daar voor? Nee glad nie dis mos glo net n wes kaap ding.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Africanus

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 06:10:38 am »
A few weeks ago bumped into a German tourist in a Discovery at the copshop in Somerset West.

He was travelling with family between Stellies and Somerset West when he got pelted with rocks by kids.

He had two in the car WITH their mother.

Chased them down, rounded them up and took them to the charge office.

A boy and a girl of about 8 or 9.

Mammie staan rond met 'n bek sonne tanne.

I did not hang around to see what transpired.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 10:49:02 am »
Mammie staan rond met 'n bek sonne tanne.

Was this literally or a figure of speech ?

:peepwall: :peepwall: :peepwall: :peepwall:

:imaposer: :imaposer:
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away