Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Train transport for two plus bike from Cape Town to durban  (Read 494 times)

Offline Guido

Train transport for two plus bike from Cape Town to durban
« on: April 22, 2019, 04:13:16 am »
Greetings dogs,

We have been planning a serious trip in June for some time now. Unfortunately due to a very busy work schedule, I may have to cut it short by one week. Instead of cancelling the trip altogether, I have been thinking about getting as far as Cape Town, which is what we always planned, from there put ourselves and the bike on a train back to durbs. I know people have done this in the past. Having never travelled by rail, I donít even know where to start. Anyone have any experience with a similar idea? I read somewhere a couple of years ago, about a luxurious 5 star train service with in South Africa, that could be an experience all on its own. The second option I am looking at, is we get as far as Cape Town, fly back to durbs, and have the bike transported back by one of the bike transport companyís, but thatís the boring option.

Offline swakop_toe

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: Train transport for two plus bike from Cape Town to durban
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:09:13 am »
No direct route between Cape Town and Durban.
 It's either via Bloemfontein or Jo'burg.

https://www.southafrica.to/transport/Train/Shosholoza-Meyl/Shosholoza-Meyl.php5

http://www.jomelgroup.com/train-tickets.php

http://www.newfusion.co.za/_mgxroot/page_10744.html

I have not traveled by train in South Africa, ever.
 Except the once on one that (used?) to run between Durban and Pietermaritzburg during the Comrades.

Sent from my BlackBerry DTEK60 using Tapatalk Pro.

Offline Danger

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 01:01:29 pm »
Did the 1st class trip CT to Jburg a few years back was a very good experience, did it with 2 mates and bikes, not sure if they want us back but jip was a very good trip.

Offline Rothwinds

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 01:42:19 pm »
Greetings dogs,

We have been planning a serious trip in June for some time now. Unfortunately due to a very busy work schedule, I may have to cut it short by one week. Instead of cancelling the trip altogether, I have been thinking about getting as far as Cape Town, which is what we always planned, from there put ourselves and the bike on a train back to durbs. I know people have done this in the past. Having never travelled by rail, I donít even know where to start. Anyone have any experience with a similar idea? I read somewhere a couple of years ago, about a luxurious 5 star train service with in South Africa, that could be an experience all on its own. The second option I am looking at, is we get as far as Cape Town, fly back to durbs, and have the bike transported back by one of the bike transport companyís, but thatís the boring option.

Hi Guido, if you decide on the boring option  ;D, Rothwinds would be happy to assist you with transportation of your bike back from Cape Town to Durban.  www.rothwinds.co.za.
Kind regards.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 08:50:41 am »
I don't know who you know has done CT-DBN in the past but it must have been decades ago.. I've been doing the train transport thing for 10 years and never heard of a stop in DBN

You can overnight to JHB then pin the 500km back to Durbs, may save you a day or 2
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Guido

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:29:20 am »
Thanks for the response guys... it seems I may be going for the boring option.

Greetings dogs,

Hi Guido, if you decide on the boring option  ;D, Rothwinds would be happy to assist you with transportation of your bike back from Cape Town to Durban.  www.rothwinds.co.za.
Kind regards.

Thanks, I have sent a quote request.

I don't know who you know has done CT-DBN in the past but it must have been decades ago.. I've been doing the train transport thing for 10 years and never heard of a stop in DBN

You can overnight to JHB then pin the 500km back to Durbs, may save you a day or 2

Iím not sure what the exact routing of the train route was, perhaps it went via jhb or bloem, but I know you were not required to leave the train. My old school riding mates did it in a group a couple of years ago, I have contacted them, but i cannot find any current information on the route they took,  have found various links with the cpt-dbn listed as discontinued, so obviously it did operate at some stage.

Offline Supervan

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 08:49:19 am »
I haven't done this myself, but have read up on it a lot because I wanted to do something similar. What I can tell you now is that you have to let go of the internet...you will find information the quickest by phoning landlines and visiting stations and talking to people.
Freedom is directly proportional to risk.

Offline CUZZY

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 02:37:16 pm »
There is no more passenger train from Cape Town to Durban.  Probably stopped about 10 years ago soon after I last rode on it from Durban. It was known as the Orange Express originally. Used to be 2 nights and a day on the train.  Cape Town to Kimberly to Bloemfontein to Kroonstad to Bethlehem to Harrismith  to Ladysmith and then down to Durban. They even used to organise a special train from Durban to Cape town for runners doing the Two Oceans. Fat party!! The runners slept on the train in Cape town as accommodation. Sad .

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 02:44:07 pm »