Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Opinions on your Triumph motorcycles please...  (Read 788 times)

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
Opinions on your Triumph motorcycles please...
« on: April 25, 2019, 07:51:17 am »
 Always liked the look of the Triumphs, especially the 800xCx model. It seems the Triumph brand isn't as reliable or as mechanically sound as say the Honda or BMW's. I'm interested to ask what the opinion is of you guys who own and ride these bikes are as perhaps somewhere down the line it is a bike id like to own one day.

What have your experiences been with these bikes...
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline unishaun

Re: Opinions on your Triumph motorcycles please...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 09:22:50 am »
My 800Xcx is sitting on 40 000km, and other than general maintenance and wear and tear I have had no issues with the bike. I see guys on FB in Europe are getting 100 000 miles plus on the 800 motor.

The following users thanked this post: XTZFegen

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:53:19 am »
My 800Xcx is sitting on 40 000km, and other than general maintenance and wear and tear I have had no issues with the bike. I see guys on FB in Europe are getting 100 000 miles plus on the 800 motor.

They seem to be really lekker bikes...I like the look of them when I see them around.
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Dux

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 02:59:43 pm »
Problems on the 800 I have seen , one starter motor issue replaced under warranty , and a faulty solenoid unit , other than that they appear to be reliable , actually I think that can be said of the Triumph range as a whole
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 03:10:21 pm »
There appear to be far more issues with the dealer support etc than the bikes themselves.  :sip:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Dish

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 03:28:32 pm »
Many of my mates are on explorer 1200's and one on an 800. I haven't seen or heard of any of them having an issue. Weve ridden a fair amount and nada. I believe most of them picked up bargain deals on Triumphs initial exit from SA but now they have a LOT of bike for their money and a pretty good support infrastructure (if in JHB) cant comment on the countrywide situation.

Interestingly I have just come from triumph in sandton where I had a pretty good experience. Other than their accessories being pricy (whose aren't) I have only heard good things....

Offline Bosvark2

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 03:37:03 pm »
Hi
I have a 1200 Explorer with 48 000 on the clock I will never buy any other brand of Bike
 Been to the Cape from Limpopo 3 times Wow what a Bike lots of power and comfort

Yes i agree here and there you will find a problem but so with all other brand

Go and see Rob at Truimph JHB and arrange for a test drive and you will buy a Truimph

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 03:38:57 pm »
Stepper motor on the -'12 800's has been troublesome. Fixed from -'14 onwards.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Dustman

• We know less than what we don't know
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 04:11:34 pm »
My '13 still going strong. Notalotof km's but wanting its 30 k service any time soon. Feels better and better every time I ride it, so still running in  :biggrin: :biggrin:.
One little change i made was to go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket and it makes a HUGE difference on slow speed maneuverability.
It upped about 500 rpms on highway riding but not a big difference in fuel consumption at the speeds I ride.

O ja .... keep a small Q20 under the seat to blow the stepper motor stem clean when it acts up in the dust.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:12:48 pm by Dustman »
"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 07:53:39 pm »
My '13 still going strong. Notalotof km's but wanting its 30 k service any time soon. Feels better and better every time I ride it, so still running in  :biggrin: :biggrin:.
One little change i made was to go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket and it makes a HUGE difference on slow speed maneuverability.
It upped about 500 rpms on highway riding but not a big difference in fuel consumption at the speeds I ride.

O ja .... keep a small Q20 under the seat to blow the stepper motor stem clean when it acts up in the dust.

What is this stepper motor, what is it's function?

Offline goodtoogo

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 06:25:52 am »
Controls the idle settings electronically. Can be converted to a mechanical manual. Not a serious design flaw . Does not like dirt. Adventure bike / dirt!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Kenzogs

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 07:13:10 am »
Very happy with mine. 800XC. It now has 40,833km on and has only once given me a problem which was sorted out quickly by a dealer. The bike was used mainly Maputo to Durban (with pillion) and it was a pleasure as the seat is really comfortable and it cruised the distance easily enough to get quite a few speed fines and warnings. It has also done a few Zim and Sani trips without a problem. For the last year or two it has been used mainly up here on gravel and sandy twin tracks and it handles well. I have a 34 litre tank fitted and have learnt the hard way not to fill the tank before riding sandy tracks.

I do my own servicing and my biggest complaint is getting to the air-filter because the tank has to come off.

Replaced:
Chain, sprockets, cush rubbers, tyres, air pre-filter, and fitted washable air-filter. Because of the km of dusty roads I smear a thin layer of vaseline on the inside of teh airbox to try and trap any dust that does get through.

The later 800's have big advantages in terms of switching function like ABS and another  Triumph would be a serious consideration when I replace mine.

You can never get lost - you just reach a different destination.
Every road has to lead somewhere - even if it is a dead-end.

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 08:15:50 am »
So overall very positive about the bike.

They do look good though hey...especially the 800s...

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Lou1

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 09:43:26 am »
Laat ek ook n eier le.

Bought a new 800 XCX Low in 2016

Had some parts falling off within the first year (when ridding gravel roads) like mirrors, side stand and front beak. But after they had been properly tightened ownership has been trouble free. I think the original Triumph SA importers just did not give a fuck for the customer after they sold you a product. The new importers seems to take up after sale service much more seriously. 

The bike is a pleasure to ride. Gives 22 - 23 km/l ave, lotsa usable power, very comfy and can go anywhere. Serviced at Triumph agent (Traditional Triumph Edenvale) has always been a good and affordable experience.

The best thing about a (three pot) Triumph is the sound. It is music to a petrol head.

The following users thanked this post: XTZFegen

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 11:00:26 am »
Laat ek ook n eier le.

Bought a new 800 XCX Low in 2016

Had some parts falling off within the first year (when ridding gravel roads) like mirrors, side stand and front beak. But after they had been properly tightened ownership has been trouble free. I think the original Triumph SA importers just did not give a fuck for the customer after they sold you a product. The new importers seems to take up after sale service much more seriously. 

The bike is a pleasure to ride. Gives 22 - 23 km/l ave, lotsa usable power, very comfy and can go anywhere. Serviced at Triumph agent (Traditional Triumph Edenvale) has always been a good and affordable experience.

The best thing about a (three pot) Triumph is the sound. It is music to a petrol head.

Sounds good...

Come on you Spurs.