BMW F800GS - what's going for it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
There are faster adventure bikes on the market than the F800GS, but what I like about it is its low rpm tractability.
I can run the 800GS at 2000 rpm in 5th or 6th on a country trail all day, and it will gladly putter along. OK, the BoosterPlug (disclaimer: I sell them)  makes it super smooth and tractable, and it solved the stalling issue, but unlike singles that shudder at low rpm, or twins from the orange stable that do not like to be ridden below 3000rpm, the 800 is just so forgiving at low rpm - when you want to have a nicely balanced bike and super throttle control when riding slow and technical sections. Speed freaks would most probably smirk at the notion of riding slow, but sometimes you have to do just that: go slow, without too much power on tap to unsettle the bike and balance, being able to focus on the terrain rather than on the bike.
Yes, there are others, but the 800 is relatively light, has a 21" front wheel, decent suspension and it has low rpm tractability. It has been proven to be a competent adventure bike. It is perhaps one of the reasons why I like it so much.