Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lane Splitting  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Willem55

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
Lane Splitting
« on: April 26, 2019, 06:33:54 am »
If the highway has more than 2 lanes always lane split on the far right. Cars then only have to pull out of the way for bikes from one side. Every morning there is one or two guys on the N1 into town that causes issues by not doing this. This morning it was an African Twin (I know it is frustrating riding a Honda  ;D but try to remember). Cars don't know which way to go if bikes are on both sides. Also please look in your mirrors..... if a faster (Braver) rider wants to come past you just pull out of the way so that he can pass you and be on his way. I am the one pulling over for other bikes each morning. You get some brave lane splitters out there.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Holy shit, what a ride!”

Offline Boerbok

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
Re: Lane Splitting
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 06:44:14 am »
I agree with both points.

I often make way for the faster lane splitters. Most frustrating thing is to get stuck behind a slow-poke for km’s on end, either because he doesn’t check his mirrors, or refuses to let you pass while frantically trying to speed up. Simple logic: if a bike appears behind you, he must be going faster than you. Make space!  :lol8:
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 07:03:46 am »
If the highway has more than 2 lanes always lane split on the far right. Cars then only have to pull out of the way for bikes from one side. Every morning there is one or two guys on the N1 into town that causes issues by not doing this. This morning it was an African Twin (I know it is frustrating riding a Honda  ;D but try to remember). Cars don't know which way to go if bikes are on both sides. Also please look in your mirrors..... if a faster (Braver) rider wants to come past you just pull out of the way so that he can pass you and be on his way. I am the one pulling over for other bikes each morning. You get some brave lane splitters out there.
What do you mean by "far right"? To the right of the rightmost lane? Or in between to two right hand lanes?

Offline Ryderod

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:17:31 am »
Personally I never ride in the suicide lane, which is the right of the rightmost, but many riders do, their choice. Far right to me is between the two right lanes

What do you mean by "far right"? To the right of the rightmost lane? Or in between to two right hand lanes?
Dirty by nature!

The following users thanked this post: Willem55

Offline Willem55

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 07:42:37 am »
The furthest "splitting lane". With three lanes it would be between the right and the middle lane.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Holy shit, what a ride!”

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 07:59:19 am »
Personally I never ride in the suicide lane, which is the right of the rightmost, but many riders do, their choice. Far right to me is between the two right lanes

Agreed.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 08:18:15 am »
The furthest "splitting lane". With three lanes it would be between the right and the middle lane.
:thumleft:

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:18:31 am »

Agreed.....
Net so.

Offline AntonDP

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:19:27 am »

Agreed.....
Net so.

+1

Offline Grunder

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:27:58 am »

Agreed.....
Net so.

+1

+2  :snorting:
F800gs

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 08:29:07 am »
Persoonlik dink ek daar moet 'n onderskeid getref word tussen plekke waar die "Suicide lane" bruikbaar is en gebruik word, met redelike veiligheid, bv. vanaf Beyers Naude, op die N1 N, tot waar dit te nou raak, en waar dit onbruikbaar en onveilig is, bv. op dele van die N1 N nader aan Pretoria. Ek ken nie al die paaie nie maar elke gesonde verstand kan mos maar lei waar en waar nie. Tussen Beyers Naude en William Nicol, wat ek soort van daagliks ry, is die "Suicide lane" al herdoop na die "Bike lane", die motoriste verwag die fietse daar en ek het in twee jaaar nog nie een ongeval gesien nie. Natuurlik geld al die ongeskrewe reels van veiligheid en bowenal bedagsaamheid met die enkele uitsonderings wat ons nie te veel behoort te kwel nie en in elk geval altyd daar salw ees. Selfs die Verkeerspolisie, op motorfietese gebeuik hierdie stuk pad en gee maklik pad wanner jy vinniger as hulle ry en bedank selfs wanneer hulle vinniger is en jy padgee om hulle verby te laat. Hierdie is uiteraard nie 'n aanbeveling nie, bloot my inset.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 08:42:09 am »
Here is a pic of both the African Twins together....
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 08:56:05 am »
yay a lane splitting thread   :ricky:
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline WP

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 09:26:54 am »
Persoonlik dink ek daar moet 'n onderskeid getref word tussen plekke waar die "Suicide lane" bruikbaar is en gebruik word, met redelike veiligheid, bv. vanaf Beyers Naude, op die N1 N, tot waar dit te nou raak, en waar dit onbruikbaar en onveilig is, bv. op dele van die N1 N nader aan Pretoria. Ek ken nie al die paaie nie maar elke gesonde verstand kan mos maar lei waar en waar nie. Tussen Beyers Naude en William Nicol, wat ek soort van daagliks ry, is die "Suicide lane" al herdoop na die "Bike lane", die motoriste verwag die fietse daar en ek het in twee jaaar nog nie een ongeval gesien nie. Natuurlik geld al die ongeskrewe reels van veiligheid en bowenal bedagsaamheid met die enkele uitsonderings wat ons nie te veel behoort te kwel nie en in elk geval altyd daar salw ees. Selfs die Verkeerspolisie, op motorfietese gebeuik hierdie stuk pad en gee maklik pad wanner jy vinniger as hulle ry en bedank selfs wanneer hulle vinniger is en jy padgee om hulle verby te laat. Hierdie is uiteraard nie 'n aanbeveling nie, bloot my inset.

Francois, ek ry daardie pad ook elke dag.

"Suicide lane herdoop na bike lane:  :lamer: NEE NEE NEE!

Ek en jy sit beslis nie om dieselfde vuur nie... :dousing:

The following users thanked this post: BullFrog

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:05 am »

:laughing4:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Thunderlinde

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bellville Breker
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 11:12:00 am »

:laughing4:

Lovely. Can we discuss KTM vs BMW now?

KTM 950 Adv
Kawasaki KLR 650
Honda XL 125

Offline Rommel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Scott me up, Beamie
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 11:35:32 am »
Work harder and buy a car. Lane splitting sorted.
There's a feeling I get, when I look to the west, and my spirit is longing for leaving.

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 11:39:14 am »
Lovely. Can we discuss KTM vs BMW now?

Maybe later, next I'd prefer a "which oil" discussion
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Willem55

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 11:41:16 am »
Here is a pic of both the African Twins together....

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Offline Thunderlinde

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bellville Breker
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 11:47:56 am »
Just want to add... only give way for faster bikes, when its safe to do so....  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:48:31 am by Thunderlinde »

KTM 950 Adv
Kawasaki KLR 650
Honda XL 125