Lesotho - A river too deep, a mountain too high

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
April 2019 Lesotho highlands ride

The plan

It is easy to get inspired by well written ride reports and posts with various route options.  After reading Xpat’s report “Lesotho Boogie Woogie” https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=232705.msg4186774#msg4186774 I felt all inspired.  Inspiration doesn’t always lead to action but I was determined to make this one a reality.  I contacted Losper as well for some additional route planning info, start and end in Barkly East.

Finding a few buddies to come ride with was easy.  Unfortunately one fell off his mountainbike and had to withdraw. One more partner thought the better off it and pulled out a few days before.  So early one Saturday morning Jason (age 35) - [member=2869]JAmBer[/member] - and I (age 60) set out from Cape Town and headed for the mountains.

It is hard to make a trip along the N1 sound exciting so I will spare you the detail.  Suffice to say that a lot of the discussion went along the lines of me saying “the distances per day don’t look too bad at all, easily achievable”.  If you have ridden offroad in Lesotho before you will understand from our comments that this was a first for me.  JAmBer had done a few of the sections (of day 2) before.

Attachments

• Complete trip overview.jpg
    Complete trip overview.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 695