looking for old run down bike etc to rebuild myself while on medical leave

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rapha

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hey, not sure where to post this so here goes.

My BMW F650 was stolen and insurance didn't pay out, so I'm hoping to find someone with an old bike lying around gathering dust or something that needs work, basically an excuse to ask for free parts haha I know, but can't afford anything at the moment and don't mind the idea of having to build a bike up from scratch. I'm on my 2nd year of medical leave for the whole year so have lots of free time to work on a bike project, but that also means cash is limited sigh no income.

I tried the scrap yards but they charge almost as much as shops, it's crazy! I've been part of this forum for years and I've seen the support and generosity of the community. Got my first ever riding boots from the Pay Kit Forward thread, loved them for years.

I'll be entirely honest, it's been a rough year and I miss my bike tremendously, can't afford another one so taking a big chance and who knows maybe someone has an old slightly rusted bike they haven't touched in years and wouldn't mind giving away. I'll strip it down, clean it up and rebuild it :) then I can finally get back on the road, getting riding withdrawal haha.

If this should be posted in different place just let me know and I'll move post.
I'm really expecting anything to come from this, just taking a chance with a pinch of hopefulness haha :)

I suppose I should also add some context: (not a sob story, just some background info)

My name is Rapha Pretorius, after years of working I went back to Uni to finish my engineering degree. Was doing really great when I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease, later re diagnosed to Uclertive Colits, it lead to 4 years of struggling with my health and constantly in and out of hospital, multiple treatments and surgeries finally resulting in a very big operation which I'm now recovering from. I am happy and getting healthier every day now, but still can't work this year so I thought lets make the best of this situation, I can't go riding since my BMW was stolen but I have always wanted to rebuild a bike and now I have the time, lets do it!!

So as I said, I know it's very unlikely but on the tiny chance someone has an old bike gathering dust that they don't use and wouldn't mind donating, it would really mean the world to me and let me spend time on my bike passion while I have the rest of the year off.

If anyone has something or if you just want to chat or ask a question please msg me or whatsapp me 0825583648

All the best to everyone here, I hope you never stop riding