Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha XS Eleven - whats it worth? PHOTOS ADDED  (Read 2522 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
Re: Yamaha XS Eleven - whats it worth?
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2019, 03:06:22 pm »
Thanks Alphadog. I have wanted one since I was a lightie, so trying to be objective.
I will hopefully see it today and take it for a ride.
Should I just push it a bit in 2nd and see if it jumps out of gear? It has some sort of 4 in 1 on. Kerker I think. Will check.
Then come back here and discuss as I am still not sure if I should get it.
Looking at this from a cheap, ridable classic, or if not classic then maybe future classic perspective, it might make sense?
Or would that be a stupid reason to buy one?
I get pissed off with high maintenance bikes, I dont like working and spending on them.

They are not very economical machines, but they are certainly low maintenance.

The big thing is that if you pay R20-40 000 for a nice one, you will always get at least your money back, though I believe these bikes will pick up in value nicely.

A time will come when lots of people will say; "Shit, to think I could have gotten a neat one-point-one for only R30 000!!"

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2019, 03:02:53 pm »
I might have found one. He wants R25k.
What too look out for?

We are still waiting for the pic's you were supposed to post off the one your friend wanted to sell  :peepwall: :pot:
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2019, 04:02:22 pm »
A time will come when lots of people will say; "Shit, to think I could have gotten a neat one-point-one for only R30 000!!"

I agree, and then we pour another beer worth R 1.5 Trillion.......

Inflation is a baastid!  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2016 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2019, 04:09:59 pm »

I agree, and then we pour another beer worth R 1.5 Trillion.......

Inflation is a baastid!  :P

If you look at what RD350's go for, a beer should cost R15 Trillion today. :deal:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2019, 04:22:56 pm »
If you look at what RD350's go for, a beer should cost R15 Trillion today.

I know - and of course I wish I had kept my complete set of first-generation Kawa Triples instead of flogging them for pennies at the time.

Hindsight yeah, clear as glass.... should have been a crystal ball!  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2016 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2019, 04:26:22 pm »

I know - and of course I wish I had kept my complete set of first-generation Kawa Triples instead of flogging them for pennies at the time.

Don't remind me....... :biggrin:

Offline BliknÍrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2019, 05:00:38 pm »
I might have found one. He wants R25k.
What too look out for?

We are still waiting for the pic's you were supposed to post off the one your friend wanted to sell  :peepwall: :pot:
Ja ja.
I will make a plan as soon as I get to see this bike.
I was hoping for this weekend but haven't heard from the seller since he sent me the price.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2019, 09:45:49 pm »
the early models had a second gear problem, solved at the factory about 1981, lots of engineering places specialized fixing it, around joburg anyway.i was working at yamaha at the time, finished my apprenticeship in may `81 at cowan and johns, anybody remember them ? apart from the second gear issue they are great, i would love one now, i currently have a gs850 suzuki, 1979 model, same sort of bike. worst thing you could do to the bike was put a cowley exhaust on it, proven time and again they went slower with it. std pipes gutted out were the answer, rod grey and the guys at racing motors found that out, my then boss errol cowan also raced one, never won mind!. buy it and love it,i would.

Talking about Racing motors brings back wonderful memories. Jannie Stander's place. I went there many a lunchtime to look at the bikes
Bought my 750GT Suzuki from him
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2019, 08:23:51 am »
My father-in-law recently bought a XS1100 for R16k. He spend another R6k on it to get the carbs and bits sorted to get through roadworthy which it passed last week. Good solid bikes and nice long distance cruisers. Handles like shit but you get used to it. I had one with the 2nd gear issue years ago. We hoisted it up vertically, took the sump off and bend the 2nd gear selector in slightly. Assembled and never had the problem again  :thumleft:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2019, 08:58:46 am »

Well a CR500 did not sell for R250 000 recently here on the forum
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline BliknÍrs

• I never finish anyth
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2019, 12:17:20 pm »
My father-in-law recently bought a XS1100 for R16k. He spend another R6k on it to get the carbs and bits sorted to get through roadworthy which it passed last week. Good solid bikes and nice long distance cruisers. Handles like shit but you get used to it. I had one with the 2nd gear issue years ago. We hoisted it up vertically, took the sump off and bend the 2nd gear selector in slightly. Assembled and never had the problem again  :thumleft:
Maverick what was the overall condition of the bike your FIL got, if I may ask? Kilos etc? Original pipes and paintwork, etc?
Did he know about the additional work and what it would cost when he did the deal?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2019, 12:27:51 pm »

Well a CR500 did not sell for R250 000 recently here on the forum

:imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2019, 12:58:06 pm »
Maverick what was the overall condition of the bike your FIL got, if I may ask? Kilos etc? Original pipes and paintwork, etc?
Did he know about the additional work and what it would cost when he did the deal?

The paintwork and everything is original except for a cowley exhaust. It is not showroom but polished up nicely. On 28 000 km's. He did not know about the additional work and it was carried out by the owner before he took it which went from bad to worse. The guy was trying to do him a favor to service the bike and any reasonable guy should step away when it comes to the carbs. There is a "fundi" in Cape Town that refurbished and serviced the carbs and went through the bike checking every nut and bolt. Think his bill was about R3800 for spares (including brakes) and labor another R1000 + the guy collected and dropped the bike again. Then he spent some money on mirror and other small cosmetics and a tyre.

The question is what can you buy these days for R22k in a retro 1.1 liter motorcycle  8) You will be more out of pocket buying a 2nd hand indian manufactured Vespa/LSM PX150 these days.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline BliknÍrs

• I never finish anyth
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2019, 01:25:03 pm »
Thanks for the reply.
I can't find many 1.1's on gumtree.
Here is one in Bloemfontein for R28000.
https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/bloemfontein/1980-yamaha-xs1100/1006174705180910768959409
It's a dealer, so that price (retail) must be on the high side but the bike looks OK with 75k on the clock.
I am especially worried about those 4 carbs, and I am far from CT.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2019, 01:43:26 pm »
As Dan said they are low maintenance bikes if they were serviced and maintained. The chance of those carbs going wrong it they are refurbished is pretty slim and the rest is purely oil/tyres/plugs and basic stuff that goes with age. Bullet proof engine.

Offline BliknÍrs

• I never finish anyth
Re: Yamaha XS Eleven - whats it worth? PHOTOS ADDED
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2019, 01:41:06 pm »
I went to see the bike, and took the following pics.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:44:19 pm by BliknÍrs »

Online Gťrrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2019, 02:02:48 pm »
Looks original and for its age, looked after. My original price guess stands, but closer to R25k. Offer R22k.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline BliknÍrs

• I never finish anyth
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2019, 02:47:32 pm »
Nog
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:17:21 pm by BliknÍrs »

Offline BliknÍrs

• I never finish anyth
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2019, 02:48:38 pm »