Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Shocking state of events  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Shocking state of events
« on: May 17, 2019, 10:28:58 am »
Now I'll be the first to admit that its rather unusual to see a BMW, especially an 1150 parked on the side of the road, and thats the only
reason I can think that in the 90 min or so I was there, not one of the dozens of bikes which passed, stopped to offer assistance.
An ex-biker in a cage did stop though.
This was yesterday between 17:00 and 18:30 on the R21 North Atlas road area.
It looks like I'm in the market for a fuel pump.
What a poor reflection on the  biking community.  :(  :( .

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Shocking state of events
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:34:51 am »
Should have posted here would have come through.  :thumleft:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Rossdog

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 10:36:29 am »
Yip, same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Pushed my 1150 ADV for about 1km to a mate's house. Not one offer to help. Bloody L'Agulhas snobs.

Out of interest, what were you symptoms? Mine also just cut out.
'69 Model.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 10:54:44 am »
Yip, same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Pushed my 1150 ADV for about 1km to a mate's house. Not one offer to help. Bloody L'Agulhas snobs.

What cut out ? Were you riding and the electrics just went dead ? Turn the ignition switch and nothing comes on ? Or is ignition still on, iow the lights on the dash still burn ?
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:56:38 am »

What cut out ? Were you riding and the electrics just went dead ? Turn the ignition switch and nothing comes on ? Or is ignition still on, iow the lights on the dash still burn ?

All the dash and warning lights were still working. Starter still swings. The battery was low, so I replaced it. Same problem.
'69 Model.

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 10:58:56 am »
I used to stop for bikes standing next to the road quite often, and almost every time the guy was just having a smoke or had to make a phone call or something like that.  Might be the reason that nobody stops anymore.

Once stopped for a lady biker who ran out of fuel and helped her to get going again - but I got the impression she did it deliberately to pick up "company"  :lol8:   

So what would be an appropriate biker "signal" that would indicate you do in fact need help?
If force does not help, you are not using enough...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 10:59:25 am »
 :eek7:

Biking is falling victim to the "I do not greet" culture.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 11:01:24 am »
Now I'll be the first to admit that its rather unusual to see a BMW, especially an 1150 parked on the side of the road, and thats the only
reason I can think that in the 90 min or so I was there, not one of the dozens of bikes which passed, stopped to offer assistance.

"rather unusual to see a BMW on the side of the road"

then, in a short thread, 2 left it's owners on the side of the road. :imaposer:

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 11:03:55 am »
Not sure if its still the case, but when I was in JHB, if you have a problem, put helmet behind rear wheel on ground. That was our sign you need help.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

The following users thanked this post: Matewis

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 11:12:03 am »
Not sure if its still the case, but when I was in JHB, if you have a problem, put helmet behind rear wheel on ground. That was our sign you need help.

:thumleft: Universal sign of biker in distress. :sip: Helmet n the mirror or right footpeg… all OK.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

The following users thanked this post: Meteor

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 11:21:18 am »

Damn!
I live 8 minutes from there if the robots are green!
i would certainly have brought the trailer if I had known - I have helped a few guys in that area over the years
Glad you got sorted tho!
 :thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Beebop

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 11:28:43 am »

Just after I left work she started hesitating when I accelerated, then started missing . Within 5km she died. I could start her up and she would idle a bit, but died as soon as I opened the throttle.
The pump does sound rough though, I'll check it the weekend. I did pull the injectors and there's barely a squirt coming from them, so I'm pretty sure its pump, or less likely the FPR.
My wife came through with the trailer, so I did have an option fortunately.
I just find it sad that the "biker brotherhood" has gone the same route as everything else.
Maybe I'm just getting old.

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 11:30:31 am »
Helmet on the ground behind the rear wheel.... also heard of this.

Sorry to hear of this, but it seems that people are wary of stopping in cities nowadays, because of muggings, hijacking, etc.
I find bikers will stop here in the midlands of KZN.
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 11:51:30 am »

Just after I left work she started hesitating when I accelerated, then started missing . Within 5km she died. I could start her up and she would idle a bit, but died as soon as I opened the throttle.
The pump does sound rough though, I'll check it the weekend. I did pull the injectors and there's barely a squirt coming from them, so I'm pretty sure its pump, or less likely the FPR.
My wife came through with the trailer, so I did have an option fortunately.
I just find it sad that the "biker brotherhood" has gone the same route as everything else.
Maybe I'm just getting old.

Sounds like the pump, I had similar but not as severe, with a blocked pump inlet. :biggrin:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 12:23:21 pm »
Because I drive a bakkie I usually stop for bikes if I see them in time and it is safe to do so but if I was in a car or in a bike i probably wouldnt stop.. If Im not in a position to recover or move the bike then I don't always see the point. If people think that's a poor reflection of the whole biking community then ok, you believe that.

I do think that people have unrealistic expectations of people stopping in this world

The chances of you getting robbed/ shot while stopping for anyone on the side of the road is a real issue, in Cape Town the woman who got shot on the N1 next to her bike is still very fresh in peoples minds and its the same reason why people don't pick up people hitching a ride etc, I ran out of fuel on my bike on the way back from Atlantis and had to push it for about 4km to my house.. I didnt think it was strange that nobody stopped, I'm surprised people even expect it.

Shocking , not really.. but it is the state of the world we live in.

Another point is literally everyone has a cell phone these days to call for help, the last 2 okes I stopped for had already called someone and they were on their way to recover.. so unless the guy who broke down is from the dark ages the chances are he called for help.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:24:49 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The following users thanked this post: Richard Smit

Offline BuRP

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 04:37:27 pm »
Once stopped for a lady biker who ran out of fuel and helped her to get going again - but I got the impression she did it deliberately to pick up "company"

I would like to have, oh wait no, I demand you tell me exactly where this was.... so I can go there offering my help!
Geez Bru, a damsel in distress, you inconsiderate bugger you, your reputation's gone here now  :lol8:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 05:19:50 pm »

Its not the state of the biking community my bru, it is the state of the nation....
There was the old days when it was the right thing to do, stop and help, now you wonder will I leave alive after I have stopped..
First week in Jan 2018 I broke down with the 701 near Laingsburgh, rear tire was fooked.
I got the bike to a farmer just out of town, removed rear wheel, farmers son dropped me in town by the Shell.
I begged with motorists (filling up) to give me a lift back to cape town, on the back of their bakkies.
All the buses pulling in were on their way to Jozi.
In the end, my wife had to drive from CT to come fetch me.
I went back there the next day with a trailer, to fetch bike.
Very very sad indeed.....
Imagine your kids hitch hiking from Ct to JHB......

xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:22 pm »
Because I drive a bakkie I usually stop for bikes if I see them in time and it is safe to do so but if I was in a car or in a bike i probably wouldnt stop.. If Im not in a position to recover or move the bike then I don't always see the point. If people think that's a poor reflection of the whole biking community then ok, you believe that.

I do think that people have unrealistic expectations of people stopping in this world

The chances of you getting robbed/ shot while stopping for anyone on the side of the road is a real issue, in Cape Town the woman who got shot on the N1 next to her bike is still very fresh in peoples minds and its the same reason why people don't pick up people hitching a ride etc, I ran out of fuel on my bike on the way back from Atlantis and had to push it for about 4km to my house.. I didnt think it was strange that nobody stopped, I'm surprised people even expect it.

Shocking , not really.. but it is the state of the world we live in.

Another point is literally everyone has a cell phone these days to call for help, the last 2 okes I stopped for had already called someone and they were on their way to recover.. so unless the guy who broke down is from the dark ages the chances are he called for help.

The flipside of the coin is that if someone had stopped to help the woman on the N2, before the murderers arrived, she would have been alive and well.

Unfortunately, criminals seems to be the only ones stopping, the "good" guys have all turned into banggatte.

The following users thanked this post: Meteor

Offline Beebop

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 09:57:47 am »
Just as a follow up on this, I pulled the tank yesterday, drained it and removed the pump assembly.
I put the pump in a bucket of water, connected it and switched the bike on to hear how bad the pump was.
We I was rewarded with a facefull of of fuel and water. Any not from where I expected it.
The pump is 100%, but I was at fault here. For the past few years I have been renovating my house and
the bikes have only been afforded basic maintenance. This means I havent replaced the filter in about
75000km. The filter had become partially blocked and the hose between the pump and filter had
ruptured. What I also managed to do was to break the one quick disconnect for the cross pipe.
All in all its going to be cheaper than replacing the pump. So I will need:
1 x filter
a length of submersible 8mm hose,
High pressure clamps.
2 x 90% quick disconnects.

Dont neglect maintenance, it can leave you stranded.

Offline Sputnik080

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 12:42:00 pm »
I often have a feel of guilt, when I am not in a position to stop and help, time wise.
Most of the time it happens on a day where I have to chase to an appointment, be it work or getting my son to his activities.
Also, most of the time there is already another bike or vehicle assisting/trying to assist.
If I do however have some flexibility, I will always stop or find a way to get to the rider.

Universal sign is helmet n the ground behind the bike/rear wheel.
Shockingly very few people know this........or they are too "ashamed" to ask for help.

I completely understand the argument of fearing for your safety etc, and no-one can hold you accountable for not stopping.

I personally understand the times we are living in, and if it does come to that, I'll get off the road and phone someone, simple as that.

I reckon a lot of the time nowadays it's more an act of consideration rather than a rule, because of technology etc.

Still remains a nice gesture.
History:
1) 2008 Vuka XT125 (sold)     2) 2013 Motomia Java 170 (sold)     3) 2000 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (sold)     4) 1994 Honda CBR600 F2 (sold)     5) 2004 Honda XL650V Transalp (sold)     6) 2004 BMW R1200GS (current)