Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Chain stretch - GS800  (Read 629 times)

Offline Neo_za

Chain stretch - GS800
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:39:55 pm »
Had my chain perfectly adjusted (about 5 index marks out with another 3 or so to go) and waxed, rear axle torqued to spec when i set out for a nice day in the saddle.

850km's later i stop back at home and the chain is hanging loose.

OEM with 22000km's on.

So either the chain is bad quality BMW stuff, or is too old or there is something else happening - the fact that i carried a bit of extra load in side cases, or because i was twisting the ear a bit, or because i did a lot of km's in one go?

The adventure is very nice to tour on and i was glad for its good lights once night fell - but this chain is crap.

Any ideas and what chain to replace with - this current thing is like spagetti.

Offline Sabre

Re: Chain stretch - GS800
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 09:01:08 pm »
On none of the chain driven bikes that I owned (4 in total), did the ďmaxĒ index marks indicate a worn chain. Chains were shot (and replaced) long before reaching the last index mark.

I normally replace chain and front sprocket together, and rear sprocket with every 2nd chain replacement. Maybe my riding style, buy my rear sprockets tend to last well

22 000km is not too bad a mileage; my KLR chain lasts about 27k on average, with substantially less grunt than a 800

When it comes to the quality of chains, price is a good indication of quality; if itís cheap, give it a miss
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:12:02 pm »
You will not get those kms on a 990's chain. :'(

It most probably deteriorated due to nearing the end of its life, with limited lubrication left in the links. :o

Are there any kinks in the chain, that are difficult to "straighten", indicating lack of lubrication. :o

I reckon you should be greatful for the kms achieved, if it is the OEM chain. :thumleft:
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 09:25:57 pm »
22K... not bad for a chain. :thumleft:

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 09:51:41 pm »
You get older and you get wiser. Then you realize you have to watch a chain.You makes a plan. Things usually work out from there.Best of Luck! you will be fine.....

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 09:57:25 pm »
Yes, probably on its last legs. Quite a bit of stretch in a short period though which surprised me. Hope the bloody thing dont snap.

Will do a sprocket and chain swap as soon as funds allow - it aint gonna be cheap as i favour a OEM front sprocket to minimise any wear on the output splines. Chain and rear sprocket i will source elsewhere.

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 07:09:08 am »
When a chain starts to go, it goes very quickly, exponentially...

My DR hardly needed adjustment in 20,000 kays, and has been adjusted 3 times in the 2,000 ks since then. Iím happy to have got 22,000 ks on it...mostly dirt too.

So, it sounds like youíre within spec...

Offline blauth

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:10:01 am »
Every chain that I've had, starts to behave like this at end of life. It gets noisy and needs regular adjustments. Good condition chains don't need adjustment like you describe. I hate to say but sounds like you're in for some expensive maintenance.

This is very important: make sure you set the tension as per manufacturer spec i.e. up and down play (the marks at the end only really serve to ensure your rear wheel is aligned). A chain that is set too tight when the bike is unladen will most likely tighten significantly when the swingarm depresses and then put the chain, sprockets, primary drive bearing and counter shaft and wheel bearings under undue stress.

22k km on the chain sounds OK. I only got 21k km on my little CRF250 Rally and that doesn't have much power at all.

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 08:54:26 am »
Yip probably end of life, however if you jack up the wheel and spin the wheel you will see the chain get tight and loose as it goes around, some chains dont wear evenly so you can set it fine. when you ride you will suddenly see or even feel it jerking.

I have tried JT chains and was not impressed, replace with DID VX

My dl1000 gets 40k on a chain.

my little kle chowed a JT chain in 10k and now that I have a DID on again I've done 10k and to be honest I haven't even adjusted it yet.

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 09:13:56 am »
Thanks for the comments :thumleft:

Also think i will go with a proper DID chain

Offline BuRP

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 12:23:55 pm »
22K... not bad for a chain. :thumleft:

+1 .... what mileage do you expect actually?
Even when you clean it meticulously, when doing offroad dust will get to it and cause wear, of course!
Git a new set bru!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 12:48:56 pm »
Don't leave it too long.....

This is a pin out of a chain that I recently replaced - had about 20k km on it, but it was getting a little noisy for my liking. It hadn't really required any adjustment (on the AT you tend to run them really slack)

This will give you an indication of where the extra length on a worn chain comes from. Say 110 links odd, all pins losing about 0.05mm,,,,adds up.

This one was from a masterlink that I knew that I'd stuffed up when I riveted it......just didn't realise how badly it would wear.

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 04:04:02 pm »
@Adie Oompie vertel weer daai wat oom Írens verduidelik het dat die dit nie stretch maar....???

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline BuRP

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 04:54:38 pm »
Oompie vertel weer daai wat oom Írens verduidelik het dat die dit nie stretch maar....???

Correct, chains don't stretch, but they wear hence all the play makes them longer.
Look at the pic above your post if you need proof?
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 08:34:16 am »
Iv'e had the same chain on my bike now for several years never stretched. Maybe it's because I lock my rear wheel at the top and then let the chain rest on the tyre and not on the ground when I lock my GS. You okes must look after your stuff better  :peepwall:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 11:57:01 am »
One needs to ride the bike to actually wear it. The number of years is not a factor.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 12:13:42 pm »
EK chains have bigger pins than DID .................. are they better?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Sabre

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 09:34:41 pm »
One needs to ride the bike to actually wear it. The number of years is not a factor.
You did see that he has a 1000 BM ?  ;)
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 08:58:13 am »
You did see that he has a 1000 BM ?  ;)

Woosh  :biggrin:

I had an Africa Twin for a few years and the had a scott oiler on the chain which created an absolute mess but the chain seemed to last a lot longer. You can't compare the power output of a 2003 Africa Twin with the new bikes these days so it is probably only going to last as hard as you ride.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 07:02:53 am »
Easiest way to stretch a chain is to have it adjusted with not enough slack for starters. The swingarm on most bikes generally is angled at a few degrees down from it's pivot point. This results with the chain tightening as the swingarm pivots up to its tightest when the swingarm is horizontal and in line with pivot point and countershaft sprocket. The old XRV750 for example likes to have a pretty loose chain when unloaded.

The following users thanked this post: Skeltonsc