Taming the Tankwa...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Soooooooo......

This is me, I'm not a big writer, and even less of a reader (apart from the forum), but I woke up this morning feeling I have to share this.

To give you some back ground and history, I'll try and paint a picture so you can experience it like we did.

Ons is n klomp Afrikaanse boere wat lief is vir bike ry, hard kuier, lekker speel en ons self geniet.
Ons is nie onverantwoordelik nie, 90% van ons het families.
There might be some strong language in some of the videos, so if you are slightly sensitive, best to rather skip this one.
I have only taken some of the media from the trip and screened most of it, but just a general disclaimer.

Also, the guys love having fun, be it revving, burning rubber, whatever the case may be.
They're all grown men who love their toys, and can afford them and maintain them.
Any crappy comments and I'll rather scrap the thread.
Enjoy it with us or pass on by.

Please bear with me, this is my first report, and I have no idea how I'm going to get everything uploaded.

Subject: Annual Tankwa Trip
Date: 17 - 19 May 2019

Weapons of choice:
3x GS/A 800 (Neil, Mike, Johan)
1x Africa Twin 750 (Carl)
1x Transalp 650 (Allan)
1x 800 Tiger (Henro)
2x GS/A 1200 (Daniel, Me)
3x 1190 (Steyn, Llewellyn, Nicol)
1x 990 (Corne)
1x 1200 Cross Tourer (Martin)
1x Super Tenerre (Divan)
1x Nissan Patrol (Backup - Jacques, Robert)
1x Toyota Hilux (Backup - Francois, Brendon)

Itinerary:

Friday 17 May 2019
Meet up at Engen Winelands 8:00AM, to leave 8:30AM
Head to Ceres, fill up at Shell
Straight trough Ceres and pull off at "Die Poort" to deflate tyres and start hydrating........
Head off to Padstal for some further hydration and to supplement our nutrition, other than the liquid diet
Head through to Middelpos and have a gooooood night

Saturday 18 May 2019
Leave Middelpos around 9:00AM heading to Sutherland
Have a lengthy hydration period because of the terrible 80km's from Middepos  :lol8:
Sutherland to Ou Berg Pass and braai some boeries
Finish the braai/hydration station and head to Gannaga Lodge
......have a good night

Sunday 19 May 2019
Leave Gannaga Lodge around 9:00AM
Stop at Padstal for long needed hydration
Head for Ceres and then jaag for home  :lol8:

This gathering originally started with a bunch of the guys above going to the Bike Burn every year.
2017 was the last time they did the Burn, so from 2018 they started arranging this trip, and kicked it off with a lekker klomp ouens.
This weekend was the anniversary......

A liiiiiiittle secret of mine....... the only offroad I've done was this trip last year (first experience), about 20/30 km's in December and now this trip.....skandelik, ek weet.

Ons 2 spoed vrate......Steyn & Martin......die ouens kan en mag maar, die Vader alleen weet.......insane.

So the excitement has been building in leaps and bounds from early February. By the end of February all the numbers and names/spots were filled, deposits paid en klaar.
We were in, we were going, dis vas gemaak, klaar betaal.
Now the 3 month waiting period starts............ :eek7:

So we get closer to the time and I think around mid April we had out first meeting at Pompkroeg (in Oakdale CPT), Mouton Van Zyl's place.
The details etc. are discussed and we toast the trip........a few times.
Next meeting.........Wednesday 15 May 2019.........Pompkroeg.......this time, bring your clothes etc with to load up the Patrol.
Celebrate the upcoming trip with numerous toasts........some stayed a bit later and started with some arm wrestling, ending in Daniel having a torn wrist ligament.....2 days before the trip. :-[
So......at this point in time I haven't been able to sleep for about a week from all the excitement (even though last year het ek my gat gesien).

The last 2 days at the office feels like forever, I want to start ripping my computer screen to pieces to get out of here.
Thursday comes, about the longest work day I've ever had.
Thursday night.......it's the final count down.....da da da dum.....da da da da da......I have family over for a quick braai.......
......who are we kidding, we are South Africans......daar is nie so iets soos 'n vinnige braai nie. Dinge raak lekker en ons eet eers om en by 12:30.
So.....I have a beeeeeeeg day ahead, I've had a long night, and I can't sleep because of excitement.

I get up Friday morning EN DIT IS SULKE TYD!!!!!!!!!
A kid having his birthday on Christmas day had nothing on me.

About 07:45AM Steyn rocks up, and we're off to the meeting point.
Gooi petrol en sien uit na 'n diep lekker trip!
14 bikes, 2 backups, klomp manne saam, Karoo, geen selfoon opvangs.........AMAZEBALLS

.....ek gaan nou eers probeer die fotos uitgesort kry dat ek dit gelaai kan kry......please be patient. :lol8: