Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cederberg Oasis Spit Braai 6-7 April 2019 (Eventually)  (Read 668 times)

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Cederberg Oasis Spit Braai 6-7 April 2019 (Eventually)
« on: May 21, 2019, 07:46:29 am »
In the beginning was intermittent insomnia: a flaky four hours of sleep a night, sometimes less. Ceaseless fatigue lobotomised me and I became a functioning zombie.  My short-term memory shrunk to the size of a fly’s stomach, and operated on the same principle.

Then things went really wrong and sleep became a non-event. Rocacea bloomed on my cheeks. I stopped circling the drain and dropped into depression like lead poop. 

Eventually I reached out for medical attention because I needed a sick note.

With mood and sleep slightly enhanced by chemicals, I visited Cederberg Oasis with my cousin in the cage for a long weekend. It was a pleasant weekend, made more pleasant by running into Dusty Rusty and Nismark who were camping next door. They are the cutest couple.

I expected to work the weekend of the Spit Braai and had cancelled my attendance, but Gerrit asked me to come to the Braai, if at all possible. Despite the chemicals, when it turned out I didn’t have to work, I really wasn’t in the mood for the Spit. But Gerrit had asked me especially, and it’s really “dof” to pass on an opportunity to visit Oasis, and particularly “dof” to miss a Spit Braai. 

Now, I might be “dof" due to fatigue, but I’m not “dof" by nature. So I sighed, and saddled up the Suzuki for the trek.

Early on a beautifully crispy and bright Saturday I pulled away from my new home in Somerset West and headed up the R44 and over an almost deserted Bainskloof. I started smiling inside my helmet as the wind sung through it, annoyingly rattling peak and all. 

Outside Ceres I missed the first Bo-Swaarmoed turnoff, and took the next one towards the Matroosberg 4x4 trail. I was surprised and a bit disappointed that it was mostly tar until I took the Ceres turn at the fork, rather than the Touwsrivier leg, but it was a lovely swingy road nonetheless.

Finally, a bit of gravel:

Back on the R46, I turned right towards Karoopoort and the R355.

Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Snafu

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
Re: Cederberg Oasis Spit Braai 6-7 April 2019 (Eventually)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:27 am »
I rode past Tankwa Padstal looking for Bike X Cape, a new camping and biker venue that opened up in the Tankwa Karoo, assuming it was on the R355. I was wrong. Apparently it’s on the road that connects R355 to the R356, which turns off alongside Tankwa Padstal. 

Defeated, I headed into Tankwa Padstal for some liquid refreshment and ran into a bunch of KTM (and some BMW) hooligans in the form of Cocky, his better half Laura and the fruit of his loins, Boere and the lovely Christa, Norman of WC Mini-Bash fame, Thomas, and a few others. They were braaiing and kuiering up a storm.

I finally met Billy the Bitch, Boere's brother-in-law, and realised I'd met him at Oasis before.

In the bar, I bought a caffeinated energy drink to make up for the 5 cups of coffee I would’ve consumed by this time. The dude next to me asked whether I was one of those surly bikers who didn’t greet anyone, or one of those friendly bikers who waved back. I laughed and said I was a friendly biker, I waved at everyone. I do, too.

Outside, I quickly swallowed my energy drink and took to the road again. Katbakkies and Skittery passes awaited and I was bright-eyed with anticipation. The waver dudes from the bar had already left in their bakkie but when they saw me behind them, they slowed to let me overtake. I waved as I passed, smiling broadly inside my helmet.

I crawled over Skittery and Katbakkies pass in my usual cautious manner. On Katbakkies pass, two bikers passed me and stopped at the lookout point. I stopped a bit further down for photo’s. Cocky’s handler, Laura, and her Ozzie friend and Cocky’s son passed in their bakkie, the son leaning out the window, shouting to check that I was OK. I threw a thumb’s up and they carried on down the pass and disappeared rapidly. I carried on as well, enjoying the fresh breeze and the brilliant views. 

Near the end of the road, a bakkie with a foreign number plate passed me slowly in the opposite direction, arm waving out of the window to flag me down. Due to my reticence and the loose, slightly marbly nature of the road, it took some distance to crawl to a stop, and I sat waiting on my bike for the driver to walk back to me. 

He was looking for “Bushmen”, and asked me whether he was on the right road. “The people with the donkey carts. Die klein mense”, he clarified for me, a 5’ 3” giant. I had no idea where the Khoisan hung out, but based on the yearly Community Day at Tankwa Padstal, I nodded that yes, he was on the right road. He should continue and where the road joined the R355, he should turn left. I was sure the Tankwa Padstal people could point him towards some “klein mense”.
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Matewis

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:28:06 am »
SUB
“Don’t go where the path my lead…  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 09:14:27 am »
The day warmed up, and at the T-junction I turned towards Cederberg Oasis, a familiar and well-loved road, except for the corroded corrugated kink near the top of the second hill where the back wheel always struggles to find grip, and jumps erratically.

Along the way the KTM (and some BWW) hooligans passed me with much waving and some roosting (thanks Norman), carefully throwing up dust clouds for me to choke through. I arrived at Oasis, quickly booked in and unpacked, then took a lovely shower before strolling around to see all the other Spitbraaiers.

It was a quieter Spit Braai, but the alcohol flowed, and the humour was quick and dry, as was the weed. The meat was on the spit and the smell was a carnivore’s dream. Chantal had returned to Oasis and Gerrit had a twinkle in his eye and a hop in his crutches.

Billy the Bitch in attendance again to help with the braai. Along with Wayne, they are pretty much part of the furniture :biggrin:

A rare photo of the photographer

Wayne, a semi-permanent installation at Oasis

Norman, who was our gracious and friendly host at the 2019 Simonstown Club for the WC Mini-Bash, sitting on the left

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:19:57 am by Ri »

The following users thanked this post: wilfwalk

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:19:44 am »
The Table of Infamy - Boere, Christa (Boere-padda), Heimer and Carrots. Only thing missing is a Cocky

Oh wait...

Ultraflight and his wingpeoples

Stone cold sober ::)

DRme all dapper in white - brave choice on an adventure ride.

This situation is waaaaayyyyyy less tense than it looks

Utterly fascinated by the ins and outs of the hidden-in-the-open world of WUGs

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:24:51 am »
Gerrit had planned for the meat to come off the bone directly to the table, and it was done to perfection, tasty and succulent. The salads, vegetables and pap and sous were firm favourites, and there was even ice cream to end with. The laughter became muffled as people proceeded to pack in as much of the delicious meal as their stomachs could hold. Contented sighs wafted.

Heimer and the Fraaie Martina

Bonus of less people - more for us :drif:

A clipboard with a list was passed around for a lucky draw later on

In need of food to settle the fumes

Magie vol, ogies toe. Soon after dinner I said my good nights and headed off into the night. Operator accompanied me, deputised by Gerrit to see my safely to my tent. I stuffed earbuds into my ears to fend off the chorus of snorers, and drifted off to sleep.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:26:03 am by Ri »

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:17 am »
The next morning I woke to hear people discussing bikes; in particular the bike with the purple seat, my bonsai DR650. I struggled out of my tent and into the bright morning light, looking, in Operator’s words, “dik deur die k@k geslaap”, and stumbled to the kitchen for coffee.

After 3 cups of coffee, the fog finally lifted and my tardy system kicked into gear. Listening to morning conversation, I heard about Ultraflight’s planned trip home through Winkelhaak and promptly attached myself to his entourage. I quickly ate some corn flakes to calm the caffeine storm raging through my veins, filled up with fuel, and went to face the shock of my bill. It wasn’t too bad.

Cocky crowing

In the meantime, Ultraflight had been misinformed about my departure, and stormed off to catch up with me. Luckily, one of his crew had the GPS coordinates and the patience of Job, and waited for me to pay my bill, struggle into my gear, slide onto my steed, and wobble nervously down the road in my haste to make haste.

Where the gravel became tar again, we were fortunate to find Ultraflight and party waiting for us. Having ridden with me before, he realised that I couldn’t possibly have come this far, this fast. Soon we were on our way, turning left onto the Winkelhaak road before the tar road reaches Op die Berg. 

Up, up, and away!

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:42:13 am »
The Winkelhaak Road was a bit challenging for me as I didn’t even think to lower my tyres, and the surface was a bit rutted, sandy and marbly in places. But, oh my, the views were breathtaking. I couldn’t ride slowly enough to take it all in, and will definitely be riding this road again. I would hike it if I could, to take it all in slowly.

Unauthorised photo-stop

On tar again, I had the opportunity for the first time to try out my Slime compressor. It did its job, boosting my confidence for my next trip. 

We stopped in Ceres to fuel up and repair a tyre, and to decide where to stop for a snack, and to my great joy an ice cream cone was stuffed into my hand. Every trip from Oasis should end with a Steers ice cream cone in Ceres - it is the best!

We headed through Bainskloof again, but on the turn-off towards Worcester from Ceres one of our party missed the biker ahead of him and carried on straight towards Tulbagh. Eventually realising his error, he turned around and found the right turn-off, but by that time we were over Bainskloof and heading down into Wellington. Here he caught up with us again, and all was well.

A gravel road beckoning to be ridden

We stopped at Paarl de Ville for a quick drink, then said our good byes and headed home. I took the Klipfontein Road to Stellenbosch, a tiring slog. At Paradyskloof in Stellenbosch I turned left and followed the back road winding through the small holdings and farms to hit the last bit of gravel, a measly kilometre or five ending in a majestic tree-lined avenue, joining the R44 behind Audacia. It was enough though, and my soul sighed. My trip was complete.

Online Noneking

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 11:21:38 am »
Dankie vir die dell Ri! Hoop dit gaan goed met jou!
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Mommy Fairy :)
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 11:31:41 am »
Home away from home  :love4:
"Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone."

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 11:40:10 am »
Mooi storie! Welgedaan!
Net jammer oor die fotos van Cocky.........................

The following users thanked this post: dookie

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 12:42:51 pm »
Hoe kwyl ek nou vir die ry en die eet :thumleft:

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 12:53:17 pm »
Lekker kos en kuier saam bike ry. Niks kan beter wees as dit!  :thumleft:

Online trevo

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 12:57:43 pm »
Bly om te sien jy is weer op die Purple Turtle  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 02:31:26 pm »
Dankie vir die dell Ri! Hoop dit gaan goed met jou!

Plesier. Gaan baie goed dankie ja :thumleft:

Ek volg jou 790 fred met belangstelling :biggrin:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 02:33:02 pm »
Bly om te sien jy is weer op die Purple Turtle  :thumleft:

Ha, ek het al vroeg in Januarie begin om weer my enkels te toets :imaposer:

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 03:53:25 pm »
lekker!
Is die ou regs op die foto (sonder die hoed/bril) Wynand Vlok?
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 09:16:09 pm »
lekker!
Is die ou regs op die foto (sonder die hoed/bril) Wynand Vlok?

Ek het ongelukkig geen idee nie. Hopelik kan iemand anders help met daardie antwoord.

Offline Three Dawg

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2019, 02:19:39 pm »
Nice one.  Glad to see Chantal's back.

The following users thanked this post: Ri