Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CBX  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Platte

Re: CBX
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 05:50:59 pm »
Ek en my vrou het seker vir 15 jaar rond getoer met n CBX het nooit probleme gehad, het net 180 agter tyre in gebou, was net swaar op petrol so 12kp/l

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 06:00:31 pm »
Beaut met daai fairing Platte!! :thumleft: :drif: :drif:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Wayne

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 07:02:25 pm »
I had one with a 6 into 1 pipe. That sound still gives me goosebumps. And the 1300 6 cyl from Kawa also awesome sound.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 08:48:06 pm »
Yeah, iconic bike etcetera, but I find it strange that the Benelli Sei (the 750) always seems to be forgotten .... and it was first, you knew?
I PDI'd one, then rode to my dad and put him on the back, in his pantoffels - ATGATT eh?  :lol8:

Benelli SEI was essentially a rip off of the Honda CB500 four with two more cylinders added to make it a 750 six.  :peepwall:

There is a very nice article (with pictures) on the Benelli 750Sei in the May edition of Classic Car Africa
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Sabre

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 09:06:27 pm »
Looks pretty, sounds great, but as a bike it wasn’t that quick and didn’t handle that good, the Suzuki’s of that era killed it on the road :sip:

I had a Suzuki GS1000E way back, and one time I went for a ride with a guy on a CBX, and we swapped bikes for a bit. I didn't push the CBX hard enough to compare performance because frankly I was intimidated by the size of it. Probably psychological knowing that it was a six cylinder.

However the other guy's verdict was that my Suzy was faster and handled better.
I also had a Suzuki 1000E in '79.

On my way back from Kyalami one Saturday, I was riding well within the speed limit, not because of the speed limit, but because those days we had fuel restrictions, and garages closed for the week-end on Friday evenings. I had to preserve petrol for a trip on the Sunday

I was caught, and passed, by 2 guys on a CBX. (maybe they're also WDs today ?) I decided to chase them down, just to see how my Suz would do against the big Honda. Once I catch them, I will slow down again back to "economy" mind. Or so I thought

Ha ha ha

I sat in the slipstream of that Honda, inches from the back wheel, doing 220 (speedo). And listening to that glorious sound ! He could not get away from me, and I could not pass. On our way towards Tarlton,where the road made two long sweeping S-bends, I managed to pass the CBX in those bends, as the rider tapped off, and I could maintain speed.

And so we rode all the way to Tarlton. They were from Potch, if I remember correctly

I siphoned petrol from my mother's Volla to get to work on the Monday  :)
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 11:24:11 am »
Will never forget the 1979 Buffalo Rally in PE. There was a young laaitie with a candy apple CBX. We'd not seen anything like it and he was doing burn outs all weekend. It was a  mesmerizing sound never heard before.

I cant remember what I did last week and you can remember back to 1979.. that is impressive  :laughing4:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 03:21:08 pm »
Will never forget the 1979 Buffalo Rally in PE. There was a young laaitie with a candy apple CBX. We'd not seen anything like it and he was doing burn outs all weekend. It was a  mesmerizing sound never heard before.

I cant remember what I did last week and you can remember back to 1979.. that is impressive  :laughing4:

Hah! nothing.  I can remember back to 1949, but I can't remember last week.  That's the way it goes. :(

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 03:44:09 pm »
I guess this one would be a tad bad at cornering!!? :lol8: ;)

info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 03:50:21 pm »
I guess this one would be a tad bad at cornering!!? :lol8: ;)

Not really you will be on one wheel so can just flip it in.

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 03:52:43 pm »
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2019, 04:10:05 pm »
The way that 12 cylinder is constructed it looks like instead of two engines grafted side by side, one has been 'cut in half' and joined to each end of the one in the middle.
Looking at the one oil filter still in the middle, and there must be just the one drive to those loong camshafts. It'd be interesting to see more.

And interesting to hear it!  :o

Offline Dustbiter

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2019, 08:30:11 am »
Saw two CBXs at a Hill Climb Regularity Event in Nals (northern Italy/Südtirol/Alto Adige), which is near us.
(Two timed laps over the mountain course and the aim is to have two similar times)
The race runs today and tomorrow and is an international event, with most competitors being from Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy.
Jim Redman was here in 2014, but is unfortunately not here this year (I suppose at 87 one cannot always be everywhere)
Bikeless at present
Previously: 1973 Honda SS50 - Port Elizabeth
                  1979 BMW R65 - East London
                   1996 BMW R1100GS - Grahamstown

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2019, 11:02:35 am »
 over the mountain course

must be a glorious sound to sit in that mountain pass and hear these bikes!! :drif: :drif: :thumleft:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2019, 01:29:39 pm »
Beautiful sound, and I remember walking along Mainroad, Seapoint, in the early 80's, and saying to my wife that I hear a Suzuki Gt750 triple with 3 into3 expansion boxes coming along.

It turned out to be a CBX with 6 into 1. :-[

These motors were far from bulletproof though, and even a performance upgrade article in the old "Perfrmance Bikes" mag covering the Jap big four superbikes of the early 80's, said this about the CBX;

:"Already fragile motor is better left untuned"

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2019, 02:50:17 pm »
Beautiful sound, and I remember walking along Mainroad, Seapoint, in the early 80's, and saying to my wife that I hear a Suzuki Gt750 triple with 3 into3 expansion boxes coming along.

It turned out to be a CBX with 6 into 1. :-[

These motors were far from bulletproof though, and even a performance upgrade article in the old "Perfrmance Bikes" mag covering the Jap big four superbikes of the early 80's, said this about the CBX;

:"Already fragile motor is better left untuned"
where as I walked into Dixon racing in the UK and said I want to open up my 750 to 820 maybe 850, oh Sir probably a full bottom end rebuild new shells etc etc what model is it? GS750B, oh bore it anything you want they don’t break😎 they raced and won the class with one at the IOM a 750 bored to 1120 or 1150? Not that practical for daily use as the sleeves I believe we’re out in the air  >:D
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2019, 03:02:07 pm »
My overbored GS750 Suzuki, we were on the North Circular in London down from Wales two up off to Brands Hatch for the transatlantic trophy, in a roundabout picked up two Laverda Jota’s they decided to go play, the howl of those flat crank triples still haunts me.  :drif:

Offline Wayne

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2019, 05:10:18 pm »
How does the CBX compare to the 6 cyl Kawa when it came to reliability?

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2019, 06:00:00 pm »

the kawa was reliable but was a bit of a tank😎

Online 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2019, 06:08:02 pm »

The Kawasaki were stone reliable, and good for lots of kms.

@Welsh, those GS Suzuki's were just the best, reliability and toughness wise.

Offline Platte

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2019, 10:52:27 pm »
Ek het my CBX op 128000km verkoop sonder probleme en ek het hom hard gery, ek het op die dragstrip beter spoed op gesit as die 1300 kawas met carborators wat verander is, die ouens het die manifold verander en webers gebruik as ek reg onthou