Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CBX  (Read 1381 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
Re: CBX
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2019, 05:02:16 am »
Ek het my CBX op 128000km verkoop sonder probleme en ek het hom hard gery, ek het op die dragstrip beter spoed op gesit as die 1300 kawas met carborators wat verander is, die ouens het die manifold verander en webers gebruik as ek reg onthou

Webers was gewild, ja.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2019, 06:45:51 am »
How does the CBX compare to the 6 cyl Kawa when it came to reliability?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The Kawasaki were stone reliable, and good for lots of kms.

@Welsh, those GS Suzuki's were just the best, reliability and toughness wise.
they were Suzuki’s first four stroke, overengineered a two stroke style all roller bearing crank and a jockey race engine style camchain guide between the cams to stop any “flap”. 👍😎
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2019, 07:09:26 am »

they were Suzuki’s first four stroke, overengineered a two stroke style all roller bearing crank and a jockey race engine style camchain guide between the cams to stop any “flap”. 👍😎

I said to myself the other day, that I must get hold of an early spoke wheel GS750 to restore, while they are still available cheaply.

Major game-changers, not only for Suzuki but also for the competition that had to up the ante.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2019, 07:27:16 am »

I said to myself the other day, that I must get hold of an early spoke wheel GS750 to restore, while they are still available cheaply.

Major game-changers, not only for Suzuki but also for the competition that had to up the ante.
mine was the B so wire wheels and twin discs A had single disc👍😎

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2019, 07:55:08 am »
Bought my Suzuki GS1000E in 1986 or 87. My first big Japanese machine - I'd had a couple of lightweights. It was a terrific bike, but back then I wasn't riding with any kind of club or social grouping so I persuaded myself that I wasn't using it enough and riding it to work wasn't doing it much good, so I sold it to a local bike dealer and realised straight away what a stupid mistake I'd made.

Just recently a new rider came into our old balies Saturday breakfast riders and in conversation he mentioned that he'd had a dealership years ago in Commercial Road PE.
Then I twigged who he was, and I ranted at him, "You're the b****** who bought my GS1000E back in '89!  What have you done with it?  I want it back!

Alas........ :(

Offline allan.cawood

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2019, 09:48:59 am »
Never owned or seen a CBX in person, but I have and have had the privilege of owning the “grandchild” of this bike ...

I love the CB SF bikes ... have owned 9 x CB400 and now on my second CB1000 Big One.

Awesome bikes ... my CB1000 is about to go under the knife in a full strip down ... for complete restoration

2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder)
XXXX Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (nameless)

"You can take my heart, you can take my breath  When you pry it from my cold, dead chest"  Skillet - The Resistance (Unleashed 2016)

Offline Wayne

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2019, 01:19:29 pm »

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2019, 01:40:07 pm »
I watched Randy Mamola in the Transatlantic trophy, they sent out superbikes with GP racers, Randy realized it was pointless he spent the race entertaining, on the “ice cream van” 1000 doing corner to corner vertical wheelies. J :biggrin:

Offline Sabre

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2019, 10:42:51 pm »
Bought my Suzuki GS1000E in 1986 or 87. My first big Japanese machine - I'd had a couple of lightweights. It was a terrific bike, but back then I wasn't riding with any kind of club or social grouping so I persuaded myself that I wasn't using it enough and riding it to work wasn't doing it much good, so I sold it to a local bike dealer and realised straight away what a stupid mistake I'd made.

Just recently a new rider came into our old balies Saturday breakfast riders and in conversation he mentioned that he'd had a dealership years ago in Commercial Road PE.
Then I twigged who he was, and I ranted at him, "You're the b****** who bought my GS1000E back in '89!  What have you done with it?  I want it back!

When the 1000E came out, Cook Nielson, editor of the American "Cycle" magazine, named it the best bike at the time". He was very impressed with the bike's handling
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2019, 10:20:18 am »

This era of Suzuki was where Pops Yoshimura started making his name!

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy se haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2019, 10:23:50 am »
It was an awesome bike in its own way.  I would love to see and hear one around again.  I don't think it was ever build to compete with the 4-pot 1000's of the era.  The CB900F (later 1000) did that job though. 
.#BRADICAL!

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2019, 10:28:13 am »
Never owned or seen a CBX in person, but I have and have had the privilege of owning the “grandchild” of this bike ...

I love the CB SF bikes ... have owned 9 x CB400 and now on my second CB1000 Big One.

Awesome bikes ... my CB1000 is about to go under the knife in a full strip down ... for complete restoration

Many years ago I had to decide between a CB400 and a Suzuki Bandit 400. I bough the Suzuki, biggest mistake ever could never get it to run on all cylinders and it drank fuel like a V8. I'm sure the Honda would have been perfect.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2019, 10:29:57 am »

When the 1000E came out, Cook Nielson, editor of the American "Cycle" magazine, named it the best bike at the time". He was very impressed with the bike's handling

Cycle World took a test GS750, fitted a 4:1, smoothbore mikunis and a pair of aftermarket rear shocks and successfully raced it in the Daytona 24 hour. The only engine mod was to lock the auto cam chain tensioner solid (or it could back off if the throttles slammed shut from 11,000 I found this out after stripping an engine)  ::)

Offline allan.cawood

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2019, 12:50:47 pm »
Many years ago I had to decide between a CB400 and a Suzuki Bandit 400. I bough the Suzuki, biggest mistake ever could never get it to run on all cylinders and it drank fuel like a V8. I'm sure the Honda would have been perfect.

The CB400 is a great bike. I never had mechanical issues with mine. You see them being sold with 20000km or more ... realistically, they have 120000km on them ... and good to go ... maintenance is key.
And its light on fuel, considering ... best I got was 25km/L ... and I'm 6ft3 125kg

... and it will wind up and sing ... if you want it too
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder)
XXXX Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (nameless)

"You can take my heart, you can take my breath  When you pry it from my cold, dead chest"  Skillet - The Resistance (Unleashed 2016)