Replacing Rear Disc & Pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pavlovski

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Recently I had to replace the rear disc on my R1200R which has the same rear disc as the R1200GS. After a lot of looking around for reasonably priced parts, I finally decided on an SBS (OEM-spec) rear disc & pads.

It was easy enough to take the rear wheel, disc & brake pads off.
Before re-assembling with the new parts, gave everything a good clean. I used WÜRTH's Brake cleaner & multi purpose cleaner.
I spend quite a bit of time removing the old locktight from the thread on the rear wheel carrier and matching bolts. This I did with a toothpick.

First it was fitting the new SBS disc to the rear wheel carrier. I gave the clean bolts a bit of new locktight (make sure to use the blue ones-NOT red). And cross-tighten the bolts to an initial torque of 12Nm and a final torque of 30Nm
Next was the rear brake caliper with new SBS pads. The two bolts connecting the caliper to the FD is tighten to 24Nm
Then the rear wheel went on, cross-tightening (diagonally) the bolts to 60Nm and finally I fitted the exhaust (silencer).

All torque settings are according to BMW spec.

This is a real easy job and saved me a chunk of money

Attachments

• old1.jpg
    old1.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 126
  • old2.jpg
    old2.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 134
  • old3.jpg
    old3.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 123
  • old_vs_new1.jpg