Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 690 SM - Helping out a friend  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
Re: KTM 690 SM - Helping out a friend
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2020, 09:31:53 am »
Het die throttle body replace, al die wiring en plugs weer connect en toe vandag met hom werk toe gery (30km).   :thumleft:

Het dit darm gemaak tot hier sonder veel issues, maar laas het dit 3 dae gevat voor enigiets opgekom het, so ons wag en kyk maar...  :ricky:

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2020, 09:44:17 am »
Small update here, mostly cosmetic.

Since I'm riding the bike every now and then, I decided to take the initiative and do the tail tide and replace the exhaust with something more subtle...

Offline geopat

« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2020, 10:51:13 am »
Holy shit I hope the guys 3 blocks away have earplugs Haha on another note you may be adding to your issues there I'm sure that will require a re map due to lack of back pressure

Offline Herkules

« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2020, 10:59:46 am »
 :sip: Dis vir my net snaaks dat niemand se hare begin rys het toe hulle die woord stepper motor raakgelees het so n end terug. Triumph xc het daai probleem gehad voordat die "fuel management" stelsel vervang was.
Ek het met my 800 xc terug gery van n diens, ek dink dit was die 20k toe ek by die huis stop toe vrek die bike, sukkel terug na Mike Hopkins met bike wat vrek. moes later die throttle effens oophou om nie te vrek by die verkeersligte nie.
Garreth het die sensor vervang wat die stepper motor lees. 40 000 km later my seun ry hom nou nog geen probleem nie.
Ek sien nogal stof en sand daar naby die engine, wat destyds die probleem ook met die stepper motor was.
Vir wat dit werd is, my 2c.  :3some:

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2020, 11:43:41 am »
Holy shit I hope the guys 3 blocks away have earplugs Haha on another note you may be adding to your issues there I'm sure that will require a re map due to lack of back pressure

There's a muffler in that pipe, so not as loud as it looks. ::)

But yes, a bit less back pressure and I know that it could add issues, but this is the way I want it to look, so I'll try to figure it out with this setup. Starts fine, then takes a couple of seconds of spluttering before idling fine. Can't say that there's any difference in performance, but will definitely do a remap with the new pipe.

I don't think the initial idle issue was due to the back pressure or pipes, since it came and went without changing of pipes.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2020, 09:48:53 am »
Remapping did the trick, so far, so good. Doing roadworthy today.

Onto gumtree she goes for R49k  :deal:

Wild Dog Special Price: R45k  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:47:01 pm by Archangel »

Offline BuRP

« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2020, 10:17:43 am »
@Archangel ,

Well done, enjoy the wheelies - but keep the front down when at the Testing Station  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2020, 11:36:58 am »
Roadworthy done!   :occasion18:

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2020, 09:18:41 am »
OK, so I guess it's time for an update here on some more of the issues we've found and subsequently fixed.

Firstly, the seal ring that sits between the injector and the motor was completely missing. Now I'm not 100% sure if this was missing since I got the bike or if it came off at some point during the various changes of the throttle bodies and I've just lost it, but it wasn't currently where it was supposed to be. R105 for a single unit from KTM  :o

It's item no 21 on the image below. And it could be the reason why there's extra air coming into the motor that's unaccounted for and results in suboptimal firing conditions. Would this be something that happens to work some of the time and other times not? I don't know.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2020, 09:21:20 am »
The next issue is likely due to the bike doing a lot of standing throughout the past few years.

The throttle cable was very sticky and you could feel that the handle didn't turn easily. Plus, it didn't return to it's starting position if you left it. After opening the throttle body cover where the cable connected, we found that the cable sometimes gets caught on the "bottom out" screw thing...  :eek7:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:30:59 am by Archangel »

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2020, 09:39:08 am »
Next thing was a tough one to figure out, not sure I have done so, but this is what I've found:
Every time after doing some tuning, I usually run the motor for a bit to see that everything is working, after which I tidy up the cables by cable tying them to the frame, keeping them out of harm's way and making it look neat. Then when I'm done, I switch on the motor and get an FI error and the bike splutters terribly... (usually a P2119 - Stepper motor error) :xxbah:

Undo the cable ties, all works perfectly again. Only thing I can think of is that the cables running to the back of the motor (air temp, tail light etc) induces some voltage in this cable that makes it get readings that it doesn't understand and gives an error code. If I cable tie all the other cables except for this stepper motor cable together, all is well.

Anyways, this is what startup and throttle response is like at the moment...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:42:43 am by Archangel »