Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 690 SM - Helping out a friend  (Read 2138 times)

Online BuRP

Re: KTM 690 SM - Helping out a friend
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 01:35:01 pm »
so it's unlikely that the issues stems from the pump itself.

Oh really?
A fuelpump's task is to deliver fuel at a certain pressure, not draw electricity by merely running or make a noise.
Same for your injector, it has to delivery a certain qty of fuel by means of atomizing it through all its holes. So you can skip this too because it runs at times, so this item also will be fine hmm?
To assume is a nasty habit when faultfinding, and I'll spare you the ass, u & me bit - check it, no, all!
The reason why I suspect the injector is the gum old fuel creates, and this tends to clog fine capillaries as found in an injector.
Having said that, if the pump hasn't been disassembled completely when cleaned this is the next suspect.
Ditto for fuel lines rather than filters, reason being the latter is an obvious one.
Remedying fuel starvation is actually simple, one just has to work methodically  ;)
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 01:54:42 pm »
so it's unlikely that the issues stems from the pump itself.

Oh really?
A fuelpump's task is to deliver fuel at a certain pressure, not draw electricity by merely running or make a noise.
Same for your injector, it has to delivery a certain qty of fuel by means of atomizing it through all its holes. So you can skip this too because it runs at times, so this item also will be fine hmm?
To assume is a nasty habit when faultfinding, and I'll spare you the ass, u & me bit - check it, no, all!
The reason why I suspect the injector is the gum old fuel creates, and this tends to clog fine capillaries as found in an injector.
Having said that, if the pump hasn't been disassembled completely when cleaned this is the next suspect.
Ditto for fuel lines rather than filters, reason being the latter is an obvious one.
Remedying fuel starvation is actually simple, one just has to work methodically  ;)

My experience with fuel pumps were that they mostly worked or not. Had issues with pumps on my previous KTM and Husky, so not the first time I'm replacing them. Never had issues with pumps working, but under delivering on flow rates though, as when those issues occurred (in my cases at least) it was always caused by blocked filters and fuel lines.

As for the injector - not sure I'll be able to clean it better than the guys at Bosch, but as mentioned, already looked at potentially replacing just to see if it improves the situation.

So I'm not saying that they're 100% and they will absolutely receive attention at some point, but that they have been checked to some extent and have therefore moved lower down on my checklist.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:56:01 pm by Archangel »

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 09:14:09 pm »
Have you checked the air filter?
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2019, 09:10:40 am »
Have tried starting it with the airbox cover under the seat removed/open, essentially bypassing the air filter with no success.

Update on the fuel pump: Its a brand new pump from Fuel Performance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Online BuRP

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2019, 09:46:06 am »
New is good!
Injectors can really only be cleaned with ultrasonic cleaners - the same your dentist uses, the liquid however a bit different  :P
But again, they must be completely disassembled first.... and even then no guarantees >>>> try a new one  ;)
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2019, 10:35:48 pm »
And... she runs!

More details tomorrow  :thumleft:

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2019, 10:42:33 pm »
And... she runs!

More details tomorrow  :thumleft:

What did you do, put petrol in the tank  :imaposer:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2019, 10:45:20 pm »
 :laughing4:

Close... One of the fuel lines was disconnected.

Have to admit that it wasn't me that fixed it. I used MellowJo's trailer to pick up the bike, so the bike was at his spot. They had people over Friday night, so I couldn't go and collect work there. Then I had a 1st birthday party this morning, followed by monthly groceries, so I haven't had time to go over there to tinker or investigate. Just as we got home at around 16h, he stopped at our place with the bike. His words "Sorry that I didn't wait for you to work on it".

I think he was worried about a) his Beemers picking up this KTM temperamental sickness, b) that he'd fall in love with this bike while it's there, c) the missus might have frowned about another pony in the stall or d) there may actually not physically have been any more space for another bike. Either way,  he wanted to get it out asap so the bike is at my place now and he can rest easy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:56:16 pm by Archangel »

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2019, 10:46:50 pm »
Now that she's running, it's time to see if I can figure out the stalling/cut-out/backfire issue that I'm yet to experience.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2019, 08:21:16 am »
Made the 30km commute to the office this morning. A few stalls here and there, but otherwise a quite enjoyable ride...  :thumleft:

Offline geopat

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 02:08:14 pm »
couple of things worth checking

voltage while bike is running these bikes are fussy about having correct voltage both at the high and low range so could be shit battery(low side) or regulator(high side)

check your valves again thats what was causing my backfire and stall issues

bit of a hack but take your injector out and check the spray pattern (preff get it on video) then take off the fuel line and connect it to the discharge side of the injector use a jubilee clip and make it tight then turn the bike over a few times to blow any shit out the back after reconnect and compare spray pattern this sounds dodgy but it got me back from kaokoland to cape town last december

lastly check the voltage on the tps is within range apparently this can cause the bike to under supply fuel at idle

The following users thanked this post: Archangel

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2019, 02:46:19 pm »
couple of things worth checking

voltage while bike is running these bikes are fussy about having correct voltage both at the high and low range so could be shit battery(low side) or regulator(high side)

check your valves again thats what was causing my backfire and stall issues

bit of a hack but take your injector out and check the spray pattern (preff get it on video) then take off the fuel line and connect it to the discharge side of the injector use a jubilee clip and make it tight then turn the bike over a few times to blow any shit out the back after reconnect and compare spray pattern this sounds dodgy but it got me back from kaokoland to cape town last december

lastly check the voltage on the tps is within range apparently this can cause the bike to under supply fuel at idle

Thanks for the feedback, I will (in due course) try all your suggestions.

The battery is new and is not properly charged, giving more than decent swing to the motor, so an unlikely candidate at the moment. I was thinking the voltage regulator, but haven't gotten around to measuring that. I have already located a replacement though.  :thumleft:

As for the valves, they were checked and set by Julian (whom I trust with this). He also checked and tuned the voltages from the tps to within the required ranges as per several of the guides online. Not sure I can improve, but will go that route if I can't find anything else.

As for the injector spray pattern and cleaning suggestion: I'd do this just because I'm curious to see what the result is and to learn more about how this system works.

I have picked up a Booster (on loan for now) and will see if that has any impact.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 02:46:46 pm by Archangel »

Offline MellowJo

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Melkbos
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2019, 04:45:10 pm »
:laughing4:

Close... One of the fuel lines was disconnected.

Have to admit that it wasn't me that fixed it. I used MellowJo's trailer to pick up the bike, so the bike was at his spot. They had people over Friday night, so I couldn't go and collect work there. Then I had a 1st birthday party this morning, followed by monthly groceries, so I haven't had time to go over there to tinker or investigate. Just as we got home at around 16h, he stopped at our place with the bike. His words "Sorry that I didn't wait for you to work on it".

I think he was worried about a) his Beemers picking up this KTM temperamental sickness, b) that he'd fall in love with this bike while it's there, c) the missus might have frowned about another pony in the stall or d) there may actually not physically have been any more space for another bike. Either way,  he wanted to get it out asap so the bike is at my place now and he can rest easy.

Come on, show them the video of the KTM on BMW Life support …  :imaposer:
Don't worry, be happy ! Don't take yourself so seriously !!
2 x FS1, 200Roadmaster, 400Hawk, XL500R, XS750, XR500R, 600TT, CX500, 1150GS, R1100RS, R1100GS, R1200S, R1200RT, 1150GS (2), K100, R1100S & 35 Cages !!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2019, 05:15:32 pm »
 :sip:
Dankie vir die gesels Archangel. Daai uitlaat kan een van die redes wees dat die fiets vrek oppad na 'n stop. BoosterPlug sal daai probleempie uitsorteer.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2019, 10:47:23 pm »
Lyk ongelukkig of die booster plug toe nie die quick fix is nie. Sal more nog bietjie ry, maar hy het vanaand nog gevrek na ek dit install het.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2019, 11:00:39 pm »
Some criticism has gone towards the pipes and some even blame them for the stalling issues. The bike had these pipes fitted for several years before this stalling issue started, but in light of striking this from the list, I am trying different pipes to see if it makes any difference whatsoever.

They also just so happen to look a bit better...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:30:11 am by Archangel »

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2019, 11:36:59 am »
OK, so next question is about the map setting switch thingy. There are talks about setting the map with a switch under the seat, but I haven't seen one. Did they start coming with this from a certain year or do only specific models have them?

From what I've read, the following applies:
POSITION:
0 - (BAD FUEL)
1 - (SLIPPERY)
2 - (POWER)
3 - (STANDARD)

4 to 10 - Nothing

Please bear with me as I learn and try to figure this out.  :study:

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2019, 12:51:29 pm »
This may sound silly considering the expert hands that the bike has been through but cut about 1.5cm back on the spark-plug lead and replace the cap with a new one, had a similar issue on a WR and it was a cheap fix.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:04:04 pm by Blikkies1 »

The following users thanked this post: Archangel

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 12:57:35 pm »
This may sound silly considering the expert hands that the bike has been through but cut about 1.5cm back on the spark-plug lead and replace the cap, had a similar issue on a WR and it was a cheap fix.
you should ask Schalkl about an R1150GSA how many “experts” it had been to, it took about an hour to sort excluding driving 30km to get a spare injector plug.  :sip:
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2019, 01:27:54 pm »
FYI, this is what I did with the booster plug. Let me know if I'm missing anything here...

Situated inside the airbox, I have basically just put this guy in series with the air temp sensor.