Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 690 SM - Helping out a friend  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
KTM 690 SM - Helping out a friend
« on: May 22, 2019, 01:28:25 pm »
Collected this guy from Julian (aka Wrench, Superbike Solutions) yesterday.

In Julian's true words "Just like all 690s known to man, this bike has a cutout issue"   :lol8:

Description from Bendre (the owner):
the bike will still die at stops, but this won’t happen so often anymore. Apparently to fix this you need to do a dyno tune. I experienced this while driving in Somerset West, where the revolutions gradually goes lower until the bike dies. It luckily started easily for me to continue my drive. It however died quicker as I continued driving. Then I jumped on the N2 to Cape Town and all was good. When I got onto a slow road again it died immediately when I lowered the revolutions, even though I tried to hold the throttle slightly open. It also struggled to start. Later while driving the revolutions just falls away and it died. At two instances, it back fired quite dramatically. Then, 2 km before my house it died again and just did not want to start again.

Here's what Julian has done thus far...
We stripped the tank and fuel pump, cleaned the tank again which had a pasty residue from the stale fuel.

Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter.

Had the injector reconditioned again, Bosch confirmed a drip and no atomise on the left nozzles of the injector which cause damming.

Removed the rotor to confirm that the woodruff key had not broken or bent.

Confirmed correct air gap between the crankshaft position sensor and the phonic wheel.

Removed valve cover to check valve clearances and confirm correct valve timing.

Reset ECU via IDC5 diagnostics.

Reset grip position and throttle position via IDC5 diagnostics.

Checked all wiring from ignition switch to kill switch to ECU.

The trouble is that Julian fixed whatever they thought the issue was, but Bendre doesn't ride often enough or provide enough details wrt when and how the bike stalls or behaves to help diagnose the problem. It has also been to several other mechanics, so it may be that some previous tinkering has made this worse. Who knows? Anyways, the plan is to commute on it for a while (knowing it's likely to die on me, but happy to make plans around that) and see if I can get to the bottom of the issue. Let the games begin! :thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 02:53:00 pm by Archangel »

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: KTM 690 SMC - Helping out a friend
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 02:29:27 pm »
It's those hideous pipes  :pot:

BTW it's an SM not an SMC.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 02:30:17 pm by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

The following users thanked this post: Archangel

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
Re: KTM 690 SM - Helping out a friend
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 02:55:28 pm »
It's those hideous pipes  :pot:

Not my favourite looking bike in general either...  :o

BTW it's an SM not an SMC.

Thanks, fixed. I have almost no experience with the 690, the different models or their issues.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:46:32 am by Archangel »

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 04:13:35 pm »
I owned one of these, it was a real love hate relationship. On it's day it was an awesome bike and on other days it was a pig.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 07:02:25 pm »
Geezuss, what an ugly exhausts..... it that to aid the rider to get the thing to wheelie?  :eek7:

I'd put a new - new! - injector in it in a heartbeat!
The mentioned 'gunk' may have collected here or re-collected here (after all the work) as cleaning of fuel lines isn't that easy.
If not cured I'd look further down the (fuel-)line.
Perhaps I'll get change from these two cents...  ;)
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 08:09:51 am »
Reckon those pipes came off a Mack truck  :biggrin:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 08:48:47 am »
After charging overnight, it swung and started once or twice for a couple of seconds, but couldn't get it to run/idle. Then the battery went dead with all the attempts to start. Back on the charger for now, but think we'll get life out of it tonight.  :thumleft:

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 08:51:58 am »
These bikes had the stalling issue from new, it is unlikely that there is a cure for it.
What will help is the 15 minute idle recalibration.
Start the bike when it is ice cold and let it idle for 15 minutes without touching the throttle.

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 08:53:01 am »
After charging overnight, it swung and started once or twice for a couple of seconds, but couldn't get it to run/idle. Then the battery went dead with all the attempts to start. Back on the charger for now, but think we'll get life out of it tonight.  :thumleft:

You need a new battery, it sounds like that one has died.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 09:14:47 am »

You need a new battery, it sounds like that one has died.

Apparently it was bought this year still and seeing it's limited use with the bike standing at the shop throughout, I hope we can revive it. It's on the C-Tech now, which may (or may not) save it. Worth a shot, me thinks.

Offline MellowJo

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Melkbos
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 09:23:59 am »
I see others have also tried to solve this ….

There are some interesting advice here ….
http://www.monomaniacs.nl/tnt/KTM-690/Stalling-and-throttle-issues
Don't worry, be happy ! Don't take yourself so seriously !!
2 x FS1, 200Roadmaster, 400Hawk, XL500R, XS750, XR500R, 600TT, CX500, 1150GS, R1100RS, R1100GS, R1200S, R1200RT, 1150GS (2), K100, R1100S & 35 Cages !!

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 10:40:23 pm »
Swings over nicely, but just wont start. After removing the air-cover and spaying some "quick start" in there, it fires up for a few seconds and dies again. Also tried spraying some petrol in there and same thing. Fires up, runs for a few seconds and dies. This leads me to believe that the issue is fuel related.

So I'm wondering about the following:
Injector was cleaned. Should it rather be replaced?
Same goes for fuel pump. And the pressure regulator? What about the breather? Could it be that the tank is pulling a vacuum and therefore not allowing fuel through? I suppose this can be tested be giving it a swing with the fuel cap open. Of just a pinched fuel line somewhere.

Anyways, will start ticking things of the list tomorrow.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 10:13:34 am »
Any opinions on fitting of "Booster Plugs"?  :patch:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 11:01:31 am »
Any opinions on fitting of "Booster Plugs"?

A better looking exhaust will also help, but will not fix the problem....
Get it to run first, then farkle it if you want to  ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:02:02 am by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 11:04:04 am »
Any opinions on fitting of "Booster Plugs"?

A better looking exhaust will also help, but will not fix the problem....
Get it to run first, then farkle it if you want to  ;)

If the issue is fuel related and it's somehow not getting enough juice, perhaps the booster plug could provide that extra fuel needed?  :sip:

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 11:21:21 am »

If the issue is fuel related and it's somehow not getting enough juice, perhaps the booster plug could provide that extra fuel needed?  :sip:

It could by adjusting the air/fuel ratio on on/off throttle I guess. But if it already struggles to idle, I cant see how the plug will get it to run.
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 11:26:20 am »

It could by adjusting the air/fuel ratio on on/off throttle I guess. But if it already struggles to idle, I cant see how the plug will get it to run.

I hear you. Just bouncing around some ideas. So who has a booster plug lying around that I can try?  :ricky:  Not keen on blowing R2.5k if it's not solving the problem.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 11:55:47 am »
Your problem clearly is fuel starvation... so concentrate on that, not minuscule mixture adjustments.
You mentioned old fuel has been in there, then cleaned.
Cleaning such is a really difficult job but especially so the injector: like I said, buy/borrow a new one or one you know is working (still warm = best!), and you'll probably get a running engine.
If that doesn't do it do same with the pump.
And if that doesn't....
Capiche?  ;)

Edited: as soon as the thing ticks over do the various (throttle)calibrations mentioned above - and know you do NOT touch the throttle at all, you even kick your dog if it comes too close! To sum it up, all you touch then is: ignition On, starter button, wait, ignition Off!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:01:35 pm by BuRP »

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 01:14:17 pm »
Your problem clearly is fuel starvation... so concentrate on that, not minuscule mixture adjustments.
Cleaning such is a really difficult job but especially so the injector: like I said, buy/borrow a new one or one you know is working (still warm = best!), and you'll probably get a running engine.
And if that doesn't....
Capiche?  ;)

Edited: as soon as the thing ticks over do the various (throttle)calibrations mentioned above - and know you do NOT touch the throttle at all, you even kick your dog if it comes too close! To sum it up, all you touch then is: ignition On, starter button, wait, ignition Off!

Already located 2nd hand spares including throttle body ass (including injector), fuel pump etc.

Totally with you on ticking them off the list.  :thumleft:

As for the throttle calibration, Julian has apparently done this ad nausiem, so not sure I'll be able to get it any better. That said, it's not running now.

As for the fuel pump, you can hear it running when you turn the ignition on/off, so it's unlikely that the issues stems from the pump itself. Could be blocked filters though. Or the pressure regulator I guess.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 01:16:59 pm »
And if that doesn't....
Capiche?  ;)

Already located 2nd hand spares including throttle body ass (including injector), fuel pump etc.

Totally with you on ticking them off the list.  :thumleft:

As for the throttle calibration, Julian has apparently done this ad nausiem, so not sure I'll be able to get it any better. That said, it's not running now.

As for the fuel pump, you can hear it running when you turn the ignition on/off, so it's unlikely that the issues stems from the pump itself. Could be blocked filters though. Or the pressure regulator I guess.
I am betting filters
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.