KTM 690 SM - Helping out a friend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archangel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Collected this guy from Julian (aka Wrench, Superbike Solutions) yesterday.

In Julian's true words "Just like all 690s known to man, this bike has a cutout issue"  :lol8:

Description from Bendre (the owner):
the bike will still die at stops, but this won’t happen so often anymore. Apparently to fix this you need to do a dyno tune. I experienced this while driving in Somerset West, where the revolutions gradually goes lower until the bike dies. It luckily started easily for me to continue my drive. It however died quicker as I continued driving. Then I jumped on the N2 to Cape Town and all was good. When I got onto a slow road again it died immediately when I lowered the revolutions, even though I tried to hold the throttle slightly open. It also struggled to start. Later while driving the revolutions just falls away and it died. At two instances, it back fired quite dramatically. Then, 2 km before my house it died again and just did not want to start again.

Here's what Julian has done thus far...
We stripped the tank and fuel pump, cleaned the tank again which had a pasty residue from the stale fuel.

Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter.

Had the injector reconditioned again, Bosch confirmed a drip and no atomise on the left nozzles of the injector which cause damming.

Removed the rotor to confirm that the woodruff key had not broken or bent.

Confirmed correct air gap between the crankshaft position sensor and the phonic wheel.

Removed valve cover to check valve clearances and confirm correct valve timing.

Reset ECU via IDC5 diagnostics.

Reset grip position and throttle position via IDC5 diagnostics.

Checked all wiring from ignition switch to kill switch to ECU.

The trouble is that Julian fixed whatever they thought the issue was, but Bendre doesn't ride often enough or provide enough details wrt when and how the bike stalls or behaves to help diagnose the problem. It has also been to several other mechanics, so it may be that some previous tinkering has made this worse. Who knows? Anyways, the plan is to commute on it for a while (knowing it's likely to die on me, but happy to make plans around that) and see if I can get to the bottom of the issue. Let the games begin! :thumleft:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-05-21 at 15.15.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-05-21 at 15.15.23.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 592
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-05-21 at 15.15.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-05-21 at 15.15.24.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 596