KLE 500 Off Road necessities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeltonsc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
Howzit Guys,

Last year I bought a little KLE while my DL was having heart surgery, not just as a commuter but more for a fun bike.

The KLE might be slow, but It puts way more of a smile on my face than the DL1000 ever did.

So while my DL1000 is in semi retirement in my garage and now I’m planning on doing some well deserved trips on the KLE.

I wanted another KLR Fugly as I really loved my first one but the oil usage, doo hicky etc put me off another one.

So recently I have been reading the Ride Reports regarding the Ben10 eco-challenge and have this bee in my bonnet that I really have to do this, and while I’m in the Eastern cape I might as well duck down to Mossel Bay to visit my folks for a few days afterwards then slab it back to JHB.

So the plan is take two weeks off work spend 4 days in Rhodes doing the Ben10 then down to Mossel bay for a few days via the Grahamstown P.E coastal route spend a few days at my folks then take 2 days back to JHB probably camping in Gariep.

I have recently done JHB to Bloem and back in a day so I’m certain my ass can take the uncomfortable seat on the KLE for a 3500km Trip.

So the plan is to do the Ben 10 in March or April next year, this will be a Solo trip and I will more than likely be camping.

I prefer riding solo simply because I can ride at my own pace, but when things go wrong it can be disastrous on your own. So, I will not be racing and breaking the bike.

However I need to prep the bike and I’m budgeting around R2000 a month for the next 7 months to prep this bike. This is including the Oil Service, Tyres, Chain and Sprockets that will need to be done before the trip. So Budget is R14k for Prep/kit I will also have to get new Boots and  pants as my current stuff is all buggered.

I'm certain that 14k will be enough because I will do all my own work so Labor is free :deal: :deal:

As for the Trip I’m budgeting around R7000 to R8000 for fuel camping and food, I don’t mind eating BullyBeef /meatballs etc in the bush.  :ricky:

Roll on December Bonus. :deal: :deal: :deal:

The bike is stock standard at the moment besides a noisy exhaust.

1. I will probably run a Mitas E09 in front and a E07 Plus in the back these tires will last the trip and more.

2. I’m will be fitting Crash bars as I firmly believe in them for protecting bike and engine.These are around R2k

3. Raise the rear suspension with dog bones – Will speak to DocKLR as I’m certain the KLR shares the same setup.

4. Will the Standard Bash plate be enough, or should I look at an after market one? Bearing in mind that I scraped and banged my KLR bash plate up quite a bit while riding in Lesotho, just ask Dave ( [member=14352]dieseldawie[/member] ) about that trip in 2012. Do the after market ones protect the water pump the way that the KLR ones do?

5. Rear luggage rack upgrade, I have googled around and see some lekker DIY ideas as I will not be using my TopBox for this Trip but a normal Sports bag with oxford pannier bags

6. Looking at a Proper front fender as the wheel mounted one will not work in Mud, although I really hope the rain would have calmed down by then.

7. Wider Foot pegs – I will look at the Bigboy ones, like I had fitted to my KLR R500 odd rand ( I think) :thumleft:

8. Repair my LCD on my Etrex30 and get a RAM mount. Budget Around R2000 for this. I can replace the screen myself :deal:

9. My only other main worry is Fuel, the bike has a range of around 240km on a tank before hitting reserve. However, this time the bike will be pretty loaded so I’m going to work on 200km on a tank.
        This will be a once off trip for the next few years so I cannot justify spending thousands on extra fuel cans and Pannier mounts, however those pioneer plastic tanks certainly look the business.

So I’m looking at around R7k for Bike Upgrades then the balance on tires, chain and new Kit as my old MX boots have all but fallen apart.

This month I will be getting some Pannier bags as I don’t like hard luggage and will also put R1000 away for the Crash bars.

Thanks guys :thumleft: :thumleft: