Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW R18  (Read 1006 times)

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: BMW R18
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 10:44:04 am »
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 11:04:22 am »
Very nice indeed. My only concern is that BMW concepts that get translated to production loses the plot sometimes, especially with bold "new" designs.

Remember the Concept 101? That was a beat, but in production version (K1600B) not so much:

Concept

Reality
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:05:01 am by Vintage_Mania »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 11:22:44 am »
The 1800 is a brutally beautiful bike.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 02:45:57 pm »
Very nice indeed. My only concern is that BMW concepts that get translated to production loses the plot sometimes, especially with bold "new" designs.

Remember the Concept 101? That was a beat, but in production version (K1600B) not so much:

Concept

Reality

One case where the production bike was far better than the concept!

With the R18 it seems like the air box is likely to spoil the look unless the designers can do something clever, and I wonder whether 'they' will allow BMW to get away with the open rotating shaft which is a visual feature of the design.

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2019, 02:49:53 pm »
One case where the production bike was far better than the concept!

That big black Burgman wannabe is far better  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Bwana

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 03:18:24 pm »
This one seems to aimed at the Gold Wing Sport. When I decrease the size of picture it comes out funny.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 04:24:48 pm »
Dan is going to pop a vein when he sees those pods

:drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2019, 08:35:24 am »

Changes are inevitable as manufacturers take a bike from concept to something they can homologate and sell to the masses.

From the Concept 101 to the K1600B, you can see a more practical fairing, more ground clearance, and less fancy finishes that will cost more to produce / require more maintenance.

But I have it straight from the horses mouth that a lot of good stuff on the R18 will stay. The frame and motor are both pretty much production ready, and even that sweet exposed drive shaft isn't going to change. Things like the airbox and extra wiring can be expected, along with mirrors and a license plate bracket that extends past the back wheel. It's unavoidable, especially in Europe... but the good news is you can take it all off again!