Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 1090 Adventure - Who's got one?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
Re: KTM 1090 Adventure - Who's got one?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 04:08:39 pm »
Great!
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Tman21

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 09:57:26 am »
Anyone come across a comparative spec sheet for 10/11/12/90?

1190R becoming affordable now for cash buys.

What do you want to know?  They're basically identical but for a few small details:
125hp  1090
150hp  1190
160hp  1290

The 1090 doesn't have tyre pressure monitoring or a side stand as stock (that the 1190 does have). Normal indicators instead of 1190 LEDs as well. DOES have updated suspension compared to the 1190s.  It also has stronger rims than the 1190s from 13-15 (2016s had the stronger rims and a intermediate update on the rear shock)

1290 has EVERYTHING (all the same updates as the 1090) as well as the TFT dash, bluetooth integration with your phone. Cruise control. lean sensing headlight etc.
 Option to add quick shift, hill hold control and ASR (kind of an electronic slipped clutch....but it already has a mechanical slipper clutch so why??)

Info like this is golden.

Mostly wanted to know power VS weight.

I know the 1090 has better suspension from what ive gathered but not sure what exactly changed.
2016 onwards 1190 could then also be an option if the weight was only a few KG's which you will make up in extras most likely.
Very interesting that the 1290 only has 10hp more than the 1190.

What does the dongle do to these stock figures on the 3 bikes if anyone knows?  I had the 09/10 990R and it was no speed daemon but more than enough to go around. :3some:
Dames, se my wat jou naam is . . .

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 10:06:39 am »
The 1x90 is faster than a late model 990 in off-road mode already.

The 1090 front has stiffer spring, not to sure about revalving. Rear same but with pds added.

What dingle are you referring to? No dingle changes these figures that I know off
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 10:10:11 am »
The dongle just lets you "keep" the traction control and ABS settings when you turn the bike off and back on.

Normally, if you turn the traction control off, or switch the ABS off or to "Offroad mode" (ABS on front wheel but not on rear wheel), then when you switch the ignition off (completely, not just kill switch) they would turn back to stock setting of ON when you turned the bike back on.
With the dongle they just stay where you set them.

Offline Tman21

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 10:15:49 am »
The dongle just lets you "keep" the traction control and ABS settings when you turn the bike off and back on.

Normally, if you turn the traction control off, or switch the ABS off or to "Offroad mode" (ABS on front wheel but not on rear wheel), then when you switch the ignition off (completely, not just kill switch) they would turn back to stock setting of ON when you turned the bike back on.

Very german like to make you pay just to use basic functions in a logical manner.

Mercedes comes to mind, whilst pricing a GLA for the wife R16700 for leather on the steering wheel.  "Ok ill take one without leather . . . . "  whichturns out is not an option, so basically their cars are ***From 199K with T&C's but you have to buy wheels, hand brake, windows, a steering wheel . . . .

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 10:16:33 am »

It also has that bad fuel fueling map. Think it sets you to be able to run on 85 octane.
Think that could be the reason behind the question but don't see how it will make a change. I also have one and didn't feel a difference.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2019, 10:21:28 am »

Very german like to make you pay just to use basic functions in a logical manner.

Mercedes comes to mind, whilst pricing a GLA for the wife R16700 for leather on the steering wheel.  "Ok ill take one without leather . . . . "  whichturns out is not an option, so basically their cars are ***From 199K with T&C's but you have to buy wheels, hand brake, windows, a steering wheel . . . .

Wait till you have to pay R5500 for them to "turn on" the quickshifter on a 1290.   That still pisses me off.  Everything is there, inside the bike already, but you have to pay to use it.

Offline Tman21

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 10:21:41 am »
It also has that bad fuel fueling map. Think it sets you to be able to run on 85 octane.
Think that could be the reason behind the question but don't see how it will make a change. I also have one and didn't feel a difference.

On an entire other note the US fuel has different octane ratings.  (RON vs OCTANE)

Octane rating conversions
EURO RON   MON   US: (R+M)/2
92                    85                 88.5
95                    87                  91
96                    88                  92
98                  90                   94

But yes, perfect for "Africa or Bad fuel"

Offline Tman21

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2019, 10:23:40 am »

Wait till you have to pay R5500 for them to "turn on" the quickshifter on a 1290.   That still pisses me off.  Everything is there, inside the bike already, but you have to pay to use it.

Haha, same for Volvo D3/4/5/Polestar

But in our industry we do the same.  EURO 6,550 to activate a license that the instrument does and gets calibrated on before installation.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2019, 10:42:02 am »
Need to pay for self canceling indicators as well. But think that became standard in later years

Offline Lear300

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2019, 12:32:20 pm »

In theory, yes, but I have found that if I use the kill switch, the bike reverts back to the "normal" settings. A bit annoying if you don't check and find yourself pinning it down a dirt road with ROAD ABS on.

If you use the ignition, the dongle does what its supposed to do.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2019, 01:21:33 pm »
my dongle works fine most of the time. Default settings will only reappear if the bike has been standing for a few weeks.

But I have also realised its a KTM and not a BMW, the ABS works pretty good off road as well

Offline Noneking

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 03:12:22 pm »

In theory, yes, but I have found that if I use the kill switch, the bike reverts back to the "normal" settings. A bit annoying if you don't check and find yourself pinning it down a dirt road with ROAD ABS on.

If you use the ignition, the dongle does what its supposed to do.

That shouldn’t happen at all! Mine has kept same offroad abs  settings for almost a year
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2019, 05:06:58 pm »
This arrived yesterday. Millies took for ages I thought☺
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 05:08:07 pm »
I just have to be stopped from parking it IN the house - the garage is full of bikes...

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2019, 05:15:42 pm »
I just have to be stopped from parking it IN the house - the garage is full of bikes...

nice! congrats and enjoy  :thumleft:

looks like your seat is in the low position?

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2019, 06:19:11 pm »
2018 model with 1683 km on the clock.

I had the opportunity to do the rounds yesterday. I rode some highway, town, but also suburbian riding where there are a lot of speed bumps and stop streets.

First impressions: Getting on the bike is easy for my 2m frame - perhaps because there is not a top box yet. The bike has to swing a bit longer for the bike to start - push the start button for 5 seconds says the handbook. It settles into a KTMis rumble at idle - typical a V twin.  The sound of the bike is much louder than the F800GS it replaces, but then the 800 is quiet. The throttle is light, and so is the clutch - easy on the hands. Shorties with a thicker finger contact area will be nice though - just because I am spoiled☺.

Setting off, I was immediately impressed with how light the bike felt. Lighter than my 800, but then all the farkles has not been fitted yet. Making a loch turn will not be a difficult thing on this bike. This bike is smooth - gearchanges are silky smooth and does not require effort from the left foot - it just comes naturally. Brakes are nice. They do not bite alarmingly, but have a reassuring feel, much better than the 800 which has to be pulled hard to start stopping hard. It does an excellent job at stopping without making itself known with an overbearing presence.

The one thing that I was scared about beforehand was that this bike is wild. Not so. It can be ridden sedately, yet throttle is light and responsive. It gathers speed nicely over 3000 rpm, not alarmingly so. Push it over 5000 rpm towards 8000 and it gathers speed at an alarming rate. The scary thing is that it doesn't feel that fast - the bike is stable and planted. It is only when you look down at the illegal figures shown on the speedo that you realize that you should calm down a bit :peepwall:
The small screen works surprisingly well - wind hits the helmet on my nose level without turbulence when in the highest position. I am still considering which high Kappa screen to fit - the touring screen or the AirStream. It will not be too difficult to decide as I sell them☺

The plastic handlebar protectors will have to go as well. They keep the wind off your hands, but will not prevent a broken brake lever.

Two things I don't like: the saddle sits well, but the step up to the pillion seat cuts into my bum a bit. Either the front bit has to be lifted or the lip be flattened to allow for a more roomy seating position.
The other thing is the ability to chug along. On the F800GS I can accelerate smoothly from 1500 rpm through to the red line.
The 1090 reportedly received a revised cam and heavier flywheel for lower rpm riding. The good news is that you can ride at 2000 rpm in 1st and 2nd, but thereafter it complains heavily. Not so much the motor, but the chain starts clapping against the plastic and it becomes a cacophonic affair. Gearing down and getting the rpm above 3000 rpm is the only solution. Riding at 60km/h in 6th can be done by feathering the throttle and just maintain momentum, but as soon as you need power the chain starts chattering. This is a big and powerful bike, so one would at least expect to be able to ride it sedately. Clearly not. I will install a BoosterPlug that improves the fueling to see if it gets better, but I don't have too high hopes. Pity as it would be nice to ride the bike sedately as well...

The suspension is definitely more stiff than the F800GS's. The 800 sneers at speed bumps with the disrespect it deserves, but on the 1090 you can definitely feel the speed bumps. I know the racers prefer the stiff suspension - I will get to adjusting - the handbook is good at saying 2 clicks for plush 8 for this etc.

An interesting thing about the bike is the fuel tank. The drop tank of the 790 Adventure is nothing new. The concept exists in the 1*90 range already, with the tanks hanging low on each side to accommodate the 23l fuel, which will vastly improve the range over the 220k of the 800 before the light goes on.

So far so good. Handlebars can adjust forward by 1cm, and footpegs can drop with 1-2cm (already done).
So let's keep playing☺
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:24:18 pm by Jacobsroodt »

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 06:22:05 pm »

nice! congrats and enjoy  :thumleft:

looks like your seat is in the low position?
Saddle was off this morning. I could not see that it is height adjustable as there is only one set of knobs on the tank for the saddle to slide into. Do you know something I don't? What does the 1290's setup look like? Do you have to unscrew the knobs and fasten to a higher position?

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2019, 06:31:01 pm »
None of the “R” seats are adjustable. If you buy the powerparts 2piece seat, that is adjustable.  :thumleft:

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 06:40:00 pm »
None of the “R” seats are adjustable. If you buy the powerparts 2piece seat, that is adjustable.  :thumleft:

that's right, the standard on the R is not

The following users thanked this post: Jacobsroodt