Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 1090 Adventure - Who's got one?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
Re: KTM 1090 Adventure - Who's got one?
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2019, 09:51:15 am »
None of the R seats are adjustable. If you buy the powerparts 2piece seat, that is adjustable.  :thumleft:

that's right, the standard on the R is not
Thanks Hagen. Went to check again last night and no adjustment. I will reshape the profile to make the seat more comfortable.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 09:53:16 am »
A peculiar thing in the Owners Handbook is that it includes a detailed explanation of an oil change, but I could not find one reference of the air filter, not to mention air filter change!
For air filter changes you have to consult youtube!
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 10:09:06 am »
A peculiar thing in the Owners Handbook is that it includes a detailed explanation of an oil change, but I could not find one reference of the air filter, not to mention air filter change!

Remove fairings and tank.  Open airbox. change filter.   I *think* there are instructions for removing the tank in the book, but I can't quite remember.  Otherwise try find a Workshop Manual (not owners) online for the bike.  Will be basically identical to an 1190R one.

Fit UNIFilter if you haven't already.

The following users thanked this post: Jacobsroodt

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2019, 10:57:19 am »
Thanks Roadhawg!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2019, 11:04:02 am »
I have a burdening question about low rpm riding.

Despite a reportedly revised cam and heavier flywheel for lower rpm riding, the 1090 does not like to be ridden under 3000rpm.  It can be nursed from 2000 rpm in 1st and 2nd, but from 3rd up it complains heavily.  The chain starts clapping and it becomes a cacophonic affair.

Gearing down and getting the rpm above 3000 rpm is the only solution.  Is that just how it is?

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2019, 11:04:27 am »

yes, air filter is only in the workshop manual - I've got the 2014 1190 WS manual and it is in there, but it is quite simple to see what needs to be done once the tank is off

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2019, 11:05:56 am »

Despite a reportedly revised cam and heavier flywheel for lower rpm riding, the 1090 does not like to be ridden under 3000rpm.  It can be nursed from 2000 rpm in 1st and 2nd, but from 3rd up it complains heavily.  The chain starts clapping and it becomes a cacophonic affair.

Gearing down and getting the rpm above 3000 rpm is the only solution.  Is that just how it is?

I read on a german forum that there was new firmware for the 1090 and most guys mentioned that it is much smoother on lower revs - maybe have KTM check that you have the latest FW?  or change your sprocket?

edit: not sure you can read this?
https://translate.google.co.za/translate?hl=en&tab=wT&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ktmforum.eu%2Fforum%2Fthread%2F109990-neue-software-f%25C3%25BCr-1090er%2F

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:09:15 am by Bundu »

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2019, 11:20:00 am »

In my 1190 and 1290 experience, yeah they don't like a lot of throttle and low RPM. 

You could lower the gearing if that puts you in a better RPM range.  16T front sprocket, or 45 rear or both

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2019, 11:59:29 am »

wat gaan hier aan? Jy ry nou KTM, klink of jy wil traffic ophou
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2019, 01:36:37 pm »

I read on a german forum that there was new firmware for the 1090 and most guys mentioned that it is much smoother on lower revs - maybe have KTM check that you have the latest FW?  or change your sprocket?

https://translate.google.co.za/translate?hl=en&tab=wT&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ktmforum.eu%2Fforum%2Fthread%2F109990-neue-software-f%25C3%25BCr-1090er%2F
Thanks Hagen. This was readable, and definitly helps. I will speak to KTM Cape Town to hear if they have received this update. It will make a difference as the tendency is a deal breaker. PS. Does the 1290 have the same issue, or don't you go slow? >:D

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2019, 01:37:57 pm »

wat gaan hier aan? Jy ry nou KTM, klink of jy wil traffic ophou
:spitcoffee:
Jy sal tog nie verstaan nie. Julle het mos nie verkeer daar bo nie ;)

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2019, 02:59:01 pm »

Thanks Hagen. This was readable, and definitly helps. I will speak to KTM Cape Town to hear if they have received this update. It will make a difference as the tendency is a deal breaker. PS. Does the 1290 have the same issue, or don't you go slow? >:D

The only time I can see this ever being a problem is if you need to go super slow in 1st gear, but the problem doesnt really present itself in 1st, and you can use the clutch to go "slower than 1st".

Just shift down a gear.

I have the opposite problem in my Jeep where it's geared too low, I go round corners in 3rd because it's way too much RPM in 2nd. Just adjust your riding to the machine.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2019, 04:16:43 pm »

the 1290 has 108Nm at 2500RPM already (max is 140Nm@6750RPM), so I've rarely needed to gear down

take a look at the 1290/1190 comparison below

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2019, 11:50:39 am »
I cant remember that my 1200GS was comfortable at 2000rpm. No bike is, that is very low.

I wanted to suggest a sprocket change, but then you will probably have the same issue in 4th, I understand the big drive for that fueling dongle thingamagic now a lot better!!

Offline ianb

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • BMW R80GS. KTM 790R
    • BLOMEYERS
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2019, 11:59:40 am »
45T on the back .It will be way nicer to ride.  :ricky:

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2019, 01:41:12 pm »
I did a beginner's offroad ride with the BMW club over the weekend - I could have read my mail while we were riding these slow roads for the newbies - but were glad that I could introduce my sister's son to adventure riding.  So had lots of time to test the bike. At the top end I saw 202 in 5th before having to slow down on the short section - the bike was rock solid at that speed.
But at slow speeds this engine does NOT like anything below 3000rpm. 80 in 6th at 3000 rpm still makes the chain clap, despite the fact that the chain was adjusted to the correct setting just before the ride.
Idling speed in 1st is 13km/h, and it is doable. 2nd at 2000-2500rpm can be done at just about idle throttle, but from there the chain and engine are rather unhappy under 3000rpm. It is not that one wants to ride there, but you don't always keep your eyes on the tacho, the rpm drops below 3000 in a technical section or turn, and then the chain clap and lugging starts. Aaargh!
KTM asked to come in to check the chain tension and software version...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2019, 01:58:29 pm »
I did a beginner's offroad ride with the BMW club over the weekend - I could have read my mail while we were riding these slow roads for the newbies - but were glad that I could introduce my sister's son to adventure riding.  So had lots of time to test the bike. At the top end I saw 202 in 5th before having to slow down on the short section - the bike was rock solid at that speed.
But at slow speeds this engine does NOT like anything below 3000rpm. 80 in 6th at 3000 rpm still makes the chain clap, despite the fact that the chain was adjusted to the correct setting just before the ride.
Idling speed in 1st is 13km/h, and it is doable. 2nd at 2000-2500rpm can be done at just about idle throttle, but from there the chain and engine are rather unhappy under 3000rpm. It is not that one wants to ride there, but you don't always keep your eyes on the tacho, the rpm drops below 3000 in a technical section or turn, and then the chain clap and lugging starts. Aaargh!
KTM asked to come in to check the chain tension and software version...

I was thinking about this yesterday on a ride and tested it. My bike doesn't have any of your issues. no surging or chain slap from 2500 rpm in 2nd or 3rd. I do not have any mapping or fueling changes so cant really say why it will be better, (I do have all the other upgrades though, from 45T to opened exhaust and Rottveiler air intake). I will see if I can take a clip if you want, maybe you have higher standards than me

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2019, 03:22:00 pm »
I only shift into 6th at around 120/130 to cruise.  And I have shortened gearing.

I think maybe you just need to appreciate the KTM as the fine tuned performance machine it is and not try ride it like a tractor (bmw) :P :P :biggrin:    REV HER!!! :thumleft: :biggrin:

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2019, 05:56:13 pm »
Thanks Roadhawg.

You are saying the same as my friend in Denmark:

"6th gear on the big V-twins is to be considered as an overdrive for highway transport. On twisty country roads, Im mostly in 5th gear, and I never really use 6th gear below aprox. 95 kmh.

Forget about software updates and chain tension to cure this - it is caused by the very light engine internals what have a very low rotating mass. A slightly richer mixture will make the low speed behavior slightly better, but the layout of the engine means that is is more happy when you keep it above 3000 RPM.

But the light internals is also what makes it feel fast and quick revving, so it is always a trade-off.

I guess you could say it is in the DNA (Ready to Race), but with the very good clutch and gearbox, Im perfectly happy with it as it is."

I had to ride to town this morning and kept it above 3000rpm, hardly changing up to 5th or 6th. One just have to keep it boiling - something to get used to after a diesel kombi and a 1l Polo telling you to upshift at 1500rpm. It went well. Now you just have to be sensitive on the throttle and resist the urge. I did switch it to Road, but soon back to Sport >:D

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2019, 06:07:16 pm »
Question: it sounds like the air filter on the LC8's are still suspect, even on a 2018 1090, especially when riding dust? Some say that the Rottweiler kit affects the engine performance. What is recommended? Uni Filter?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 06:08:07 pm by Jacobsroodt »