Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 1090 Adventure - Who's got one?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Re: KTM 1090 Adventure - Who's got one?
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2019, 06:20:06 pm »
Question: it sounds like the air filter on the LC8's are still suspect, even on a 2018 1090, especially when riding dust? Some say that the Rottweiler kit affects the engine performance. What is recommended? Uni Filter?

do you ride a lot of dirt?

my airbox with OEM filters has just been opened after 2years/10 000km and was 100% clean, but I ride 95% tar

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2019, 10:07:15 am »
Question: it sounds like the air filter on the LC8's are still suspect, even on a 2018 1090, especially when riding dust? Some say that the Rottweiler kit affects the engine performance. What is recommended? Uni Filter?

do you ride a lot of dirt?

my airbox with OEM filters has just been opened after 2years/10 000km and was 100% clean, but I ride 95% tar
I despise riding in someone else's dust, but I do dirt outings every now and again. Thanks for the feedback - so the filter works well under normal circumstances.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2019, 11:33:23 am »
It's an R1800 prevention to a possible R50-R100k problem.

I run the Unifilter as a minimum.   Rottweiler should increase power slightly if anything, but it's costly.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2019, 11:43:08 am »

I run the Unifilter as a minimum.   Rottweiler should increase power slightly if anything, but it's costly.
Thanks. So Unifilter will do the trick. Who sells - I see Touratech lists them?
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2019, 11:47:21 am »

Thanks. So Unifilter will do the trick. Who sells - I see Touratech lists them?

Ive run it on 3 bikes and it's been succesfull.   I also hate riding in dust, but when you're in a group offroad, it happens.

RAD might have now.  Otherwise Ebay. If Touratech SA has em then cool too!

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2019, 11:49:51 am »
Just to add, the theory is that the filter itself is not the problem, it's the seal between the airbox and the lid of the airbox.   In early models there was additional issue of air being able to go OVER the filter, but I believe this was fixed when they revised the airbox in 2015.  No changes have been made since then though.

The UNI kit has a gasket which goes between the lid and box, and over the top of the filter area too, and that seems to be the vital bit.

I'm no engineer though, this is just the prevailing theory :thumleft:  Theoretically you SHOULD be fine with the stock filter (or any other filter) and the UNI lid gasket.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2019, 11:52:17 am »
The 1090 headlight is good in dim and bright, but I will fit spots for visibility and to see at night. In the meantime an orange cover to distinguish oneself from cages was needed. After cutting the plexiglass went into a 140įC oven for 7 min and moulded on the light. It came out OK.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2019, 11:54:01 am »
Just to add, the theory is that the filter itself is not the problem, it's the seal between the airbox and the lid of the airbox.   In early models there was additional issue of air being able to go OVER the filter, but I believe this was fixed when they revised the airbox in 2015.  No changes have been made since then though.

The UNI kit has a gasket which goes between the lid and box, and over the top of the filter area too, and that seems to be the vital bit.

I'm no engineer though, this is just the prevailing theory :thumleft:  Theoretically you SHOULD be fine with the stock filter (or any other filter) and the UNI lid gasket.

This one?

Offline hiltonph

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • :( BAD COMPANY :(
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2019, 12:13:28 pm »

This one?

Take a piece of 10mm sponge sheet and cut your own lid gasket. Cut it just bigger than the air box lid and spray with Air filter oil. I have the dna filter and the lid gasket and have never had dust come in with 40k km travelled. Ps Fit the booster plug it makes a noticeable difference! Im very happy i did!
Ride it like you stole it... Wait What????

Kawasaki KLR650 / Honda varadero xl 1000v/ BMW r1100s / Aprilia Caponord etv 1000 / KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2019, 04:13:33 pm »
Thanks Hilton. I am just not sure that the DNA filter will work for me as it is more of a performance filter than an offroad one. But the 10mm sponge around the edges idea is brilliant!☺

Just out of interest, how did the BoosterPlug affect the bike's performance? I yet have to fit, so some feedback will be nice.

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2019, 05:33:01 pm »
Thanks Hilton. I am just not sure that the DNA filter will work for me as it is more of a performance filter than an offroad one. But the 10mm sponge around the edges idea is brilliant!☺

Just out of interest, how did the BoosterPlug affect the bike's performance? I yet have to fit, so some feedback will be nice.

The sponge around the edge of the air box is the only reason to get the DNA filter. The main filter is just an add on
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

The following users thanked this post: Jacobsroodt

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore

The following users thanked this post: Jacobsroodt

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2019, 09:21:30 am »

The sponge around the edge of the air box is the only reason to get the DNA filter. The main filter is just an add on
Thanks M0lt3n! Let me check it out.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2019, 09:24:51 am »
Roodt, if you want to spruce up your headlight globes, I fitted these LEDs more than a year ago, and they're still doing fine
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NIGHTEYE-H11-50W-8000LM-6500K-CSP-LED-Car-Headlights-Conversion-Kit-Fog-Lamp-Bulb-DRL-Super/32734233910.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.88.409e5b5eiM8i4z&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_9_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10307_537_536,searchweb201603_52,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=2a62109b-ae2f-4ca5-adca-f0d9c290651f-12&algo_pvid=2a62109b-ae2f-4ca5-adca-f0d9c290651f&transAbTest=ae803_3

I had to fit a 2k2 1/4W resistor to get the bike to accept them - very efficient alternative and cheap as chips
Thanks Hagen. Have you tried them in conjunction with an orange cover? I tried Phillips' Night Hawk?, the incandescent version previously and they did not work in conjunction with the orange covers. In fact, they did not work at all.
I will be fitting a set of 3000 lumen LED spots I had on my 800. They are brilliant and create the impression of something big coming.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2019, 07:42:11 pm »
Thanks Hagen. Have you tried them in conjunction with an orange cover? I tried Phillips' Night Hawk?, the incandescent version previously and they did not work in conjunction with the orange covers. In fact, they did not work at all.
I will be fitting a set of 3000 lumen LED spots I had on my 800. They are brilliant and create the impression of something big coming.

Yes, I've got the Hyde orange cover that mounts with 3M dual locks - works well and together with my 30W LED spots, I'm very visible

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2019, 08:59:37 am »
Interesting fact. Both the 1090 handlebars and F800GS handlebars are the same width - 800mm. BUT the BMW has the bar end weights which adds 30mm to each side, and if you add the barkbusters another 16mm. In the end the KTM handlebars are 6cm narrower, 3cm on each side, which is excellent news for lane splitting!

Offline ianb

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • BMW R80GS. KTM 790R
    • BLOMEYERS
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2019, 11:55:33 am »
Hi Jacob. I have been reading your post .Congratulations on a great bike. You are doing the right thing by sorting out the air filter. I did the same, I chucked out the DNA and got a UNI kit. I do believe it is the airbox cover gasket that is must. I got the gasket from RAD . And the UNI filter when i was in NZ. I never fitted those snorkel socks.  Enjoy.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2019, 01:16:31 pm »

Yes, I've got the Hyde orange cover that mounts with 3M dual locks - works well and together with my 30W LED spots, I'm very visible
Nice, post pic!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2019, 01:29:53 pm »
Hi Jacob. I have been reading your post .Congratulations on a great bike. You are doing the right thing by sorting out the air filter. I did the same, I chucked out the DNA and got a UNI kit. I do believe it is the airbox cover gasket that is must. I got the gasket from RAD . And the UNI filter when i was in NZ. I never fitted those snorkel socks.  Enjoy.
Thanks Ian. Some say the LC8 is one of the finest motorcycle engines ever made.
The 950 and the 990 was actually KTMís Paris-Dakar race engine that was converted for road use, and they were light and fun, but thirsty, and maintenance heavy compared to the modern engines. When the development of the single cylinder 690 started, KTM headhunted four of the prime development engineers from the nearby Rotax factory, and that was what kickstarted the successful modern KTM engines (690, 790, 1050, 1090, 1190, 1290)
Especially in the reliability area and fuel economy, the new engines are worlds apart from the old ones, and a major reason for the success that KTM have today.
I ordered the Unifilter from Touratech and will be installing the filter and BoosterPlug together. I actually wanted to see what the separate effects are, but getting to the air filter is a bit of a job, so let's do it together then.
I hope that the BoosterPlug will make the bike a bit more forgiving under 3000 rpm. It still feels awkward to rev the bike to 4000rpm when it is cold!

Offline hiltonph

• :( BAD COMPANY :(
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2019, 03:14:03 pm »

The Dna is oiled correctly and cleaned regularly its has no problems off road. With the dongle the throttle is much smoother and not as jerky. There is still some but much much less than before. for the price of the booster you will not find a better solution to the problem unless you spend a good 10k plus on a power commander. I've put considerable mileage on my bike before i put the booster in and after fitted one can immediately feel the difference.  Good solid product.
Ride it like you stole it... Wait What????

Kawasaki KLR650 / Honda varadero xl 1000v/ BMW r1100s / Aprilia Caponord etv 1000 / KTM 1190 ADV R