Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Traveling from Amsterdam to Geneva  (Read 499 times)

Offline Thysse8

• Bike: BMW F800GS
Traveling from Amsterdam to Geneva
« on: May 30, 2019, 06:29:22 pm »
Hi Dogs!!

The lady and the tramp are planning to travel  through Europe from Amsterdam to Geneva in December.

Any advise, tips and tricks from the guys staying there, or if you have traveled there yourself.

Eagerly waiting to hear from you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Oddthomas10

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Traveling from Amsterdam to Geneva
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 08:16:19 pm »
We stayed one night in Amsterdam, then headed north over the Breezanddijk to Meppel, as the plan was to visit Giethoorn (Giethoorn accomodation is crazy), Meppel has a cool restaurant run by a guy that is inspired by "braai culture", they braai everything, little bit of home in cold December Europe. Go to Giethoorn, rent a boat for a few hours - great experience.

From there it all depends on the route you're planning to take, via Germany or Belgium - Luxembourg/France..

Offline KarooKid

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 09:35:18 pm »
Geneva in my opinion is a kakish place.

We spent new years there 2 years ago. There is in my opinion better places to see, unless off course you want to be with family or something.

Yes, the lake and UN building and city is nice, but not the best by a far stretch.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline Henardt

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 08:48:02 am »
Take a train from Amsterdam to Brussels, and then another from Brussels to Bruges on the north-west coast of Belgium.  The centre of Bruges is an old, historic, tourist friendly town, and you can spend ages strolling through the car-free streets in the old town part of Bruges.  Belgium makes the world's best lace and chocolates, so the lady will enjoy that, while Belgium also (arguably) makes some of the world's best craft beers - and the tramp can enjoy those.  We once visited a craft beer shop in Bruges with over 600 BELGIAN craft beers - nevermind even all the imported stuff they stocked.

Back in Brussels you can step onto a TGV train to Paris.  It's amazing to sit in quiet, smooth, luxurious train while watching the countryside flash past at 340km/h - well worth the experience!

And take warm clothes.  Europe is chilly in December.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 10:18:43 am »
Hi Dogs!!

The lady and the tramp are planning to travel  through Europe from Amsterdam to Geneva in December.

Any advise, tips and tricks from the guys staying there, or if you have traveled there yourself.

I have travelled Switzerland by bike and car and loved it! It is expensive so be prepared. December you might run into mountain passes closed due to early snow again make sure you check your routes and the places you want to travel to.

I would start by going to Zurich then travel to Lucern. Interlaken, Bern, Fribourg, head down to Broc, Maison Cailler and visit the chocolate factory. If you like cheese and some of the best cream I have ever had  Gruyeres is just around the corner from that. From there you can travel back down to Geneva via Lausanne or the french route via Montreux around the lake. We did not spend much time in Geneva itself as there is so much cooler places not very far from Geneva on the Swiss and French side. If you do have time spare drive down to Annecy from Geneva it is not that far about 40km. The old town of Annecy is great with amazing street markets. My guess would be in December you will have Christmas markets everywhere in Europe in general.

Do stick to the speed limits if you travelling by car/bike as the Swiss don't stuff around when they fine you  :thumleft:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Splash

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 10:26:15 am »
Take a train from Amsterdam to Brussels, and then another from Brussels to Bruges on the north-west coast of Belgium.  The centre of Bruges is an old, historic, tourist friendly town, and you can spend ages strolling through the car-free streets in the old town part of Bruges.  Belgium makes the world's best lace and chocolates, so the lady will enjoy that, while Belgium also (arguably) makes some of the world's best craft beers - and the tramp can enjoy those.  We once visited a craft beer shop in Bruges with over 600 BELGIAN craft beers - nevermind even all the imported stuff they stocked.

Back in Brussels you can step onto a TGV train to Paris.  It's amazing to sit in quiet, smooth, luxurious train while watching the countryside flash past at 340km/h - well worth the experience!

And take warm clothes.  Europe is chilly in December.
I second this post. Lots of tourists but still very pleasant.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 10:40:31 am »
Hi Dogs!!

I have travelled Switzerland by bike and car and loved it! It is expensive so be prepared. December you might run into mountain passes closed due to early snow again make sure you check your routes and the places you want to travel to.

I would start by going to Zurich then travel to Lucern. Interlaken, Bern, Fribourg, head down to Broc, Maison Cailler and visit the chocolate factory. If you like cheese and some of the best cream I have ever had  Gruyeres is just around the corner from that. From there you can travel back down to Geneva via Lausanne or the french route via Montreux around the lake. We did not spend much time in Geneva itself as there is so much cooler places not very far from Geneva on the Swiss and French side. If you do have time spare drive down to Annecy from Geneva it is not that far about 40km. The old town of Annecy is great with amazing street markets. My guess would be in December you will have Christmas markets everywhere in Europe in general.

Do stick to the speed limits if you travelling by car/bike as the Swiss don't stuff around when they fine you  :thumleft:

Interlaken is such a nice place loved it there and loved Switzerland in general. Also liked Amsterdam. Very vibey nice place although it can be extremely touristy  (full) depending on the time of year. In fact if you make it to Interlaken maybe a stint into  Italy will be nice as well.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Retailer

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 01:35:49 pm »
Have a look at "Rick Steve's" on Youtube. There is others too but I like his video's on Europe most. My other favourite is the "Honest Guide" but I think they focus only on Prague. And while you're at it, look at tips on how to travel with a cabin size only if you don't already do.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:47:03 pm by Retailer »

Offline Thysse8

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 09:19:02 pm »
Thanks dogs!! This makes the planning a whole lot easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JK

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 09:21:24 pm »
This guy helped me immensely when i was travelling in europe.
https://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-tickets.htm
Trains in europe makes so much more sense that flying as the station is normally in the centre of town as opposed to airports that is way outside.
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Online BuRP

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 09:51:32 pm »
"travel in Europe" - you didn't say how, by what means?
If that's just getting from A to B then there's no better option to use Public Transport.... and yes, I know that's weird for a Saffer.
Still true through, and a EuroRail card will also entitle you to buses.
They run on time, are good and comfortable, and it won't break the bank!  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline lecap

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 12:15:53 am »
KLM or SWISS
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Supervan

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 11:52:54 am »
Deutche Bahn (or DB) runs an overnight train service throughout Europe. Really cool experience to sleep on a train and wake up in a new place. It is a bit pricey, but not too bad if you consider that it essentially includes one night accommodation.

TK's post about seat61.com also has a lot of information regarding these overnight trains.
Freedom is directly proportional to risk.