Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why the EXC five-hunny is a shit adventure bike  (Read 2349 times)

Online Damaraland

Why the EXC five-hunny is a shit adventure bike
« on: June 04, 2019, 09:17:05 am »
I started the "Adventurising a EXC 500" thread over here: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=219441.0

Saw a bunch of people harping on about how the 500 is actually not perfect for everyone and also not the end-all or be-all of adventure riding (utter blasphemy :dousing:), so thought I'd start this topic to give them a place to vent.  Having done about 6000-odd km on mine I think I am also a bit qualified to weigh in on the topic. 

So here's Damaraland's list of why the 500 is a crap bike:

1.  Two fourth gears (if you ride one you'll know)
2.  Every 2000 km's or so I have to do a 5 minute service
3.  The flicker indicator bulb is useless.  Mine stopped working after 50 hours.  Shit bike.
4.  What the f*ck is up with the seat
5.  KTM forgot to tighten the ground wire (if the bike ever stalls as soon as you stand up you'll understand :imaposer:)
6.  Fuel injection.  F*ck sake KTM.  Everyone *knows* that it's unreliable and that carbs is best.
7.  Too much vibration on Tar.  In my heart I know I should've bought a BMW F650GS but it doesn't look as cool on the trailer.

Rules of this thread is simple: 

1.  You don't need to have owned or ridden one, in fact probably best that you have zero experience with these bikes - it encourages robust discussion. 
2.  Repeating hearsay is encouraged (e.g. if you sit too far back the subframe - which incidentally is made out of spaghetti - will explode, killing you instantly).
3.  You're not allowed to mention fuel pump issues, as that is considered low-effort and too easy a target.  I'm thinking mine must be a knockoff because it hasn't broken yet.
4.  Bonus points if you mention Japanese reliability. You win the Internet if you actually know of someone doing adventure riding on a 450 rice burner.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:21:08 am by Damaraland »
RR - Angola (https://goo.gl/BzFy7Y) / Video RR - Kaokoland (https://youtu.be/-c-Zespa2No)
Video RR - Messum & Ugab (https://goo.gl/Uhd1vb)  / Video RR - Southern Namibia (http://goo.gl/WpRdRE)
Video RR - Ugab (http://goo.gl/dr57i9) / Video RR - Omaruru River (http://goo.gl/RCTajv)

Offline boland

Re: Why the EXC 500 is a shit adventure bike
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 09:26:39 am »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

I must add that the suspension is just unnecessarily good. If it was 30% less good it would have still been enough. What were KTM thinking?!

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 09:27:27 am »
Its too expensive.
It must be, because I cant afford one?
Well, A new one anyway - and who wants someone else's shit?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 09:34:19 am »
The real problem with the KTM 500 is that you are left with no challenge becasue the bike is too good. That's why they don't use it in Erzberg, it will make the race too boring.

Rumors are they wanted to use it in Erzberg but RedBull threatened to pull out as there would be no competition and thus make boring tv - everyone will cross the finish line at the same time...in 1st place with no drama.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:37:04 am by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 09:43:52 am »
Reason #1: The fanboys come up with colloquialisms like "five-hunny" and make all 500 riders sound like poofters
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

The following users thanked this post: billy-joe

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
Re: Why the EXC five-hunny is a shit adventure bike
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 10:27:17 am »
"F650gs doesn't look cool on the trailer"

Well of course it bloody doesn't. No bike looks cool on a trailer.

And the cooler it looks off the trailer the more uncool it looks on the trailer.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 10:33:28 am »
And the cooler it looks off the trailer the more uncool it looks on the trailer.

kak.
it's a BMW.
the remain kak,  no matter if they are on a trailer,  on the road or on top of a rubbish dump.
they are shit bikes.
end of discussion.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 10:36:19 am »
Sure, BMW's are kak bikes. But I was saying that any bike looks uncool on a trailer.  :peepwall:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 11:02:41 am »
Perhaps Damaraland can explain to us why a bike that is pushed as having a better spread of power would need a 6th gear.

The more ratios in a box, the narrower the power spread as a rule.

Damaraland, also, of the 6000kms, how many on the trailer, or is the 6000kms actual bike kays. :pot:

OK, I know that they're banned from Ertzberg, they're that good. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 11:09:24 am »
Feeling a bit bruised are we ?  :lol8: Remember, if you have to explain it, you got it wrong the first time.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 11:14:56 am »
They are totally shit because you ride them so fast up and down gravel highways like Road To Hell, Van Zyls and Robbie's Pass and you don't get time to take photos of 4 people helping the rider and bike not to moer over

I really hate the fact that it weighs so little and can do 400 km on the big 20 litre tank and I can take everything I need for 2 weeks in one Giant Loop bag tied on its bum

But the bit that really gets on my tits is that it floats over the thickest sand and when I do drop it I can just bend over and pick it up instead of having to remember what Jan Staal taught me that I must pick the bike up backwards with my legs because I will break my back and literally shit myself if I do it any other way

This bike is so kak I will never buy one .....well not again while I have this one
The older I get the faster I was

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 11:16:52 am »
They are totally shit because you ride them so fast up and down gravel highways like Road To Hell, Van Zyls and Robbie's Pass and you don't get time to take photos of 4 people helping the rider and bike not to moer over

I really hate the fact that it weighs so little and can do 400 km on the big 20 litre tank and I can take everything I need for 2 weeks in one Giant Loop bag tied on its bum

But the bit that really gets on my tits is that it floats over the thickest sand and when I do drop it I can just bend over and pick it up instead of having to remember what Jan Staal taught me that I must pick the bike up backwards with my legs because I will break my back and literally shit myself if I do it any other way

This bike is so kak I will never buy one .....well not again while I have this one

An objective overview by an actual owner......great! :thumleft:

Offline Catchy

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 12:20:44 pm »
They are the most difficult bikes on the planet to wheelie, I have a constant irritating problem of smoke coming from my front tyre when I even attempt the shortest of 1km wheelies ! :peepwall:
Always keep your "kant" clean !

Offline JacoM

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 12:26:08 pm »
My biggest issue with my 501 is tyres.
What to use because the bike is capable enough to use full on endure tyres that works well in Maccaser, Elgin mountains and Tankwa offroad, BUT these tyres do not last when I use it for normal adventure rides which covers mix of tar and gravel. Can somebody please help me? I consider to buy another 501 just to sort out the tyre problem... ;)

The 510 seat is actually much better than the KTM 500 - why can KTM not fix this as well?

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 01:18:47 pm »
You guys are so behind the times, we were dual sporting 525's (just as reliable as a 500 fyi) long before this whole technical dual sport craze started  :pot: Off course no one believed one back then.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 01:26:15 pm »
The 500 fans have moved the target on what they consider adventure riding.

If your idea of adventure riding is 100km days, and playing in Parklands, then it's a phenomenal bike.

But if your idea is a spurt over Gydo pass to Oasis, and then Biedouw/R355/Padstal, Katbakkies and home, then you will burn that 500 and dance around the flames from joy.

Horses for courses.
I own a 500, and its great for it's niche.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 01:45:24 pm »
The 500 fans have moved the target on what they consider adventure riding.

If your idea of adventure riding is 100km days, and playing in Parklands, then it's a phenomenal bike.

But if your idea is a spurt over Gydo pass to Oasis, and then Biedouw/R355/Padstal, Katbakkies and home, then you will burn that 500 and dance around the flames from joy.

Horses for courses.
I own a 500, and its great for it's niche.

+1

Sub because I like reading opinions about the 500
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 01:46:05 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline Offshore

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 01:50:58 pm »
My biggest issue with my 501 is tyres.
What to use because the bike is capable enough to use full on endure tyres that works well in Maccaser, Elgin mountains and Tankwa offroad, BUT these tyres do not last when I use it for normal adventure rides which covers mix of tar and gravel. Can somebody please help me? I consider to buy another 501 just to sort out the tyre problem... ;)

The 510 seat is actually much better than the KTM 500 - why can KTM not fix this as well?
I heard the 501 is so good that after each Service it gains another 10cc which the 500 cant do, so it must be kak.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 02:15:54 pm »
You guys are so behind the times, we were dual sporting 525's (just as reliable as a 500 fyi) long before this whole technical dual sport craze started  :pot: Off course no one believed one back then.

Waar ne. Toe kon ek al nie vinnig genoeg ontslae raak v my 525 ni.....
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 04:22:51 pm »

:imaposer: :imaposer:

It's what I have been saying, the 450's are so close in everything, and has been around for so long, why have they never been utilised??