Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in Tanzania - What's it like?  (Read 442 times)

Offline Sputnik080

Life in Tanzania - What's it like?
« on: June 04, 2019, 10:46:44 am »
Hey Guys

This a very very vague/distant/slight possibility.

Our company needs to get someone on the ground there, and the idea popped into my head.

What's it like?
Education for children etc?
Infrastructure regarding ADSL/Fibre etc?

I know this is a very broad question, but I just want to get an idea whether it's something to completely put out of my mind etc.

Any input?
History:
1) 2008 Vuka XT125 (sold)     2) 2013 Motomia Java 170 (sold)     3) 2000 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (sold)     4) 1994 Honda CBR600 F2 (sold)     5) 2004 Honda XL650V Transalp (sold)     6) 2004 BMW R1200GS (current)

Offline DREWMARX

Re: Life in Tanzania - What's it like?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 11:04:20 am »
Hey Guys

Our company needs to get someone on the ground there, and the idea popped into my head.

What's it like?

I know this is a very broad question, but I just want to get an idea whether it's something to completely put out of my mind etc.

Any input?

Hi Sputnik,

Very tough question to answer in a reply, I'll write you a whole book! I've lived here for 7 years, and there are lots of great things about this country and a lot of bad things about this country. If you have young children who are in school now, then you'll be looking at putting them in Boarding School in SA while you are here, or you'll have to live here and your wife and kids in SA. Private school here is $2 000 per month.

Internet Infrastructure here isn't bad, some places better than SA, other areas non-existent! I have a young family, son who is 2 and daughter who is 8 months. We are/were very happy here. I'm looking for new opportunities right now, and we are sad about the possibility of leaving Tanzania. My wife is American, so if I can't sort out gainful employment in Tanzania/Africa by the end of this year, then we're leaving Tanzania and Africa for the US.

Please whatsapp me or whatsapp call me on +27765976283 and I'll tell you all about this crazy place. It definitely isn't for everyone, but for a select few it gets under your skin, sometimes this "thing" under your skin feels like an infection you HAVE to get rid of, and other times its a nice warm feeling of home you can't describe to anyone. The lifestyle you are able to live out here is unmatched anywhere else.

Anyway, hope this helps, and happy to have a Frank and Open chat with you over whatsapp.

Kind Regards

Drew
The Christini AWD Advantage!

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 11:11:57 am »
Hi Sputnik, I have also lived there for five years, after a few years in Kenya, then to Moz in 2015 and back to SA in 2017. Happy to have a chat with you about the place. Also get hold of SteveinDar, on this forum, he has been in Tz for a long time.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Sputnik080

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:18:46 pm »
Hey Guys

What's it like?

Any input?

Hi Sputnik,

Very tough question to answer in a reply, I'll write you a whole book! I've lived here for 7 years, and there are lots of great things about this country and a lot of bad things about this country. If you have young children who are in school now, then you'll be looking at putting them in Boarding School in SA while you are here, or you'll have to live here and your wife and kids in SA. Private school here is $2 000 per month.

Internet Infrastructure here isn't bad, some places better than SA, other areas non-existent! I have a young family, son who is 2 and daughter who is 8 months. We are/were very happy here. I'm looking for new opportunities right now, and we are sad about the possibility of leaving Tanzania. My wife is American, so if I can't sort out gainful employment in Tanzania/Africa by the end of this year, then we're leaving Tanzania and Africa for the US.

Please whatsapp me or whatsapp call me on +27765976283 and I'll tell you all about this crazy place. It definitely isn't for everyone, but for a select few it gets under your skin, sometimes this "thing" under your skin feels like an infection you HAVE to get rid of, and other times its a nice warm feeling of home you can't describe to anyone. The lifestyle you are able to live out here is unmatched anywhere else.

Anyway, hope this helps, and happy to have a Frank and Open chat with you over whatsapp.

Kind Regards

Drew

Thank you so much Drew!
Really appreciate your feedback, I'll definitely give you a shout some time. :thumleft:
History:
1) 2008 Vuka XT125 (sold)     2) 2013 Motomia Java 170 (sold)     3) 2000 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (sold)     4) 1994 Honda CBR600 F2 (sold)     5) 2004 Honda XL650V Transalp (sold)     6) 2004 BMW R1200GS (current)

Offline Sputnik080

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:21:27 pm »
Hi Sputnik, I have also lived there for five years, after a few years in Kenya, then to Moz in 2015 and back to SA in 2017. Happy to have a chat with you about the place. Also get hold of SteveinDar, on this forum, he has been in Tz for a long time.

Sjoe bud, thank you so much!

We do tourism to Tanzania, so my own knowledge is very limited ( I only started with the company in August '18), the rest of the team know it very well though.
But at the same time, there's a big difference in any destination between tourism and actual living.

I will definitely take you up on your offer should it actually become a real consideration.
History:

Offline roburt

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 03:48:29 pm »
HI,

I am also going for my 8th year now in Tanzania :-). I think it also depends where you live in Tanzania. I presume you will end up in Dar es Salaam (where I live).

I enjoy it here and will most propably stay here a few more years, its only me and my wife , no kids (but have lots of friends with kids).

Schooling is expensive , most kids are in IST (american style school) and pricing is around $24k a year, people with older kids sometimes send them of to boarding schools but if your company will pay for schooling I don't think IST is to bad... sport is almost non-existent.

Internet :  I am in IT here so know it quite well. Dar es Salaam has fiber in most of the "richer" areas and will cost around R800 a month for +- 10 meg internet line. I am on our company internet and that gives me 150mb fiber to my house.

It is quite expensive to live here, I would say on average we will spend around $3000-4500 a month to live here (exluding rent). Rent you can get a decent place for around $2000-$2500 a month in a good area.

please also feel free to pm me with specific questions if you want. My wife says you cry when you come to TZ and you cry when you leave :-)

At the moment business is tricky and economy quite down, your industry might still be ok.
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 03:10:19 pm »
I was chatting to a potential business partner to open up a drone business in Tanzania and he was telling me that with new gov regulations good luck trying to find a job if you not a local

He was telling me that in his district they have removed over 600 white foreign teachers from their posts and have replaced them with locals

Apparently their BEE is 10 times worse than here. Is there any truth to this? Does anyone have any info on labour relations acts etc
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Thunderlinde

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bellville Breker
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 03:17:31 pm »
I was chatting to a potential business partner to open up a drone business in Tanzania and he was telling me that with new gov regulations good luck trying to find a job if you not a local

He was telling me that in his district they have removed over 600 white foreign teachers from their posts and have replaced them with locals

Apparently their BEE is 10 times worse than here. Is there any truth to this? Does anyone have any info on labour relations acts etc

If this is true, then my gardening engineer can go back.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:18:01 pm by Thunderlinde »

KTM 950 Adv
Kawasaki KLR 650
Honda XL 125

Offline Sputnik080

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 03:29:11 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys, really do appreciate it.

I think the bottom line comes down to, nice opportunity for the right amount of money (to compensate for proper schooling etc), but that is not going to be the case with the company I currently work for.

We'll see what happens over the next year or 2, we've managed to find a local which seems to be up to the task, but only time will tell.
History:

Offline roburt

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 11:52:57 am »

This is a tricky thing, there is not BEE as we have in SA. If you are a white Tanzanian (and yes there is a few) you will have the same opportunity and as black Tanzania. There is however a issue with expats like us. For us every-time we get our work permits renewed we have to prove that there is not a local Tanzanian that can do this job. Also if a company start getting to many expats in relation to local staff they will be investigated a bit more.If you for example open your own drone business (and I am not saying you should as the drone laws here are hectic) you will be fine as you are the owner of the business and any deals you get will not have any BEE rules to it.  To open a company can take some time and there is normally a lot of africa time involved in doing so but its not impossible.

PS :  If you serious about the drone business and want to find out more I can get you added to our drone whats-app group, there is quite a few guys with drones and some of them use them for business so they might have some advice. I can not promise they will not steal your idea.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:55:53 am by roburt »
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200