Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda CRF450L - Disappointment  (Read 1072 times)

Offline wilfwalk

Honda CRF450L - Disappointment
« on: June 04, 2019, 12:00:12 pm »
I watched "The Bike Show" test of the CRF450L last night, and if the facts and figures they gave are correct, I am amazed at the apparent complete lack of logical thought in bringing this bike here with the specs mentioned AND at the price mentioned. Some of the figures given were:
Price - around R 125 000; power 1 kw or hp more than the CRF 250L (what the hell ? for a 450 ??), 7 liter fuel tank (for 450 supposedly dual purpose bike ??); a seat that cannot be used for any longish distance due to total discomfort ??)

Did anyone else watch this ? What are your opinions ?
From Honda fan - I own a CRF 250 Rally - a big fail Honda.

Offline FrancoisTz

Re: Honda CRF450L - Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 12:11:09 pm »
Watched it, was amazed at how Harry bashed Honda.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 12:15:50 pm »
power 1 kw or hp more than the CRF 250L (what the hell ? for a 450 ??), 7 liter fuel tank (for 450 supposedly dual purpose bike ??); a seat that cannot be used for any longish distance due to total discomfort ??)

That can't be right. According to motorcyclespecs.co.za, 250L makes 23 hp and the 450L makes 52.9 hp.

Yes, 7.something litres of fuel and a plank for a seat. But then, Honda aren't selling this as an 'adventure bike' - it's just supposed to be a trail bike that can link trails together on road.

Here's MCN's review:

Offline wilfwalk

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:34:26 pm »
According to Harry we have the European version with the stupidly low power output, not the American version with the figures you've mentioned.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:36:30 pm »
According to Harry we have the European version with the stupidly low power output, not the American version with the figures you've mentioned.

Whoa that is indeed disappointing. Hopefully it can be flashed / uncorked.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 12:43:04 pm »

different ECU and other bits I believe :sip:
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 05:42:03 pm »

different ECU and other bits I believe :sip:
Yes costs about 5k for the Honda parts you need to uncork
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Robertson
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 07:47:48 pm »
 "CRF 's Only "..............is your friend  :thumleft:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 08:11:11 pm »
Watched it, was amazed at how Harry bashed Honda.

Killing the market you live off. :eek7:

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 09:22:35 am »
Has anyone actually taken the time to go ride one instead of just looking at figures on paper?

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Online Dux

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 09:37:39 am »
Has anyone actually taken the time to go ride one instead of just looking at figures on paper?

Most people are keyboard testers and go off what others have stated
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline wilfwalk

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 11:09:45 am »
No I haven't ridden one as I'm not in the market to buy any bike at present. Although I am interested enough in bikes to be a member on this forum and take to time to watch motorcycling programs on TV. I have 250 Rally that is seldom ridden, so I'm not Honda bashing as I've only ever owned Hondas, this being my 5th. But on the face of the information, IMHO, it seems that Honda have made a strange decision to bring this 450 (as it is currently configured) to the market to compete with something like the KTM 500. Obviously there will be those who think its great.
Whatever one's source of information is, the information will be available for people to find it should they take the trouble to look for it - keyboard testers or not.

Online Vintage_Mania

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 11:20:10 am »
No I haven't ridden one as I'm not in the market to buy any bike at present. Although I am interested enough in bikes to be a member on this forum and take to time to watch motorcycling programs on TV. I have 250 Rally that is seldom ridden, so I'm not Honda bashing as I've only ever owned Hondas, this being my 5th. But on the face of the information, IMHO, it seems that Honda have made a strange decision to bring this 450 (as it is currently configured) to the market to compete with something like the KTM 500. Obviously there will be those who think its great.
Whatever one's source of information is, the information will be available for people to find it should they take the trouble to look for it - keyboard testers or not.

Agree fully  :thumleft:

You don't need to have had polio to have an informed opinion about polio.....
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline stcomza

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 12:02:55 pm »

Harry also mentioned the 1000k service interval... :xxbah: , ouch!
Have you hugged your motorcycle today?

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Grey hound
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 12:17:58 pm »

Agree fully  :thumleft:

You don't need to have had polio to have an informed opinion about polio.....

No but if you have'nt had polio don't presume you can tell a polio sufferer how they should feel just because you read about it. Having an informed decision on a disease and actually living with it may be just slightly different..

Im pretty sure riding a bike and reading about it is bound to be different as well . I've been on the 450 and I think its a capable bike, the only place I couldnt take it was up a hectic sand dune.. not every bike ever made has to rip your arms off on acceleration to be considered good, I just wish people would realize that different bikes are made for different applications and used by different riders in different parts.

There are about 3 other threads which are pages and pages long of people with copy and paste comments on the bike, I suppose I was actually hoping for one thread where someone was going to bring something new to the table.

Go get on the bike.. take it for a ride then come and give us an opinion on it VS the 250 Rallye.. now that would make for a good comparison,
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The following users thanked this post: BullFrog

Online Vintage_Mania

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 12:53:47 pm »
Nobody is presuming anything. Well, except you it seems. Talking about opinions, tiger. And opinions only. Word rustig.

Sent from my Huawei P30

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 01:02:05 pm »
So is owning a 450L like having polio?
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online Vintage_Mania

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 01:34:24 pm »
So is owning a 450L like having polio?
It does seem that owning the SA version might be debilitating

Sent from my Huawei P30

Offline ruger1

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 02:24:02 pm »
There is new (second hand) one at Canal Walk Honda selling for R115K, maybe someone can get a test ride on it and share their views.

I test rode the crf250 rally at this dealer a few months back and I though the motor had less power compared to my old Honda XR250 from 1994. Also the suspension felt very soft. Was a nice bike overall though.I think its weight is what made it feel less powerful compared to my XR 250 which is lighter.

I cant see how the 450L would only have 1 HP more than the 250 rally, with the motor so detuned and then to have to service it every 1000 Km sounds strange.

At least Honda is trying new things so hats off to them for that even if the R&D is not spot on for SA.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Grey hound
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 10:07:30 am »
I'm going to take the 450 out on a test ride and then compare it to the 250 rallye and come post the results here.

I'll busy with my 450X rallye bike build, once that is done ill do the 450x and 250x comparison as well, then compare the 450x rallye and the 450L and compare the 250 Rallye and the 250x

The following users thanked this post: Jamaj