Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda CRF450L - Disappointment  (Read 1076 times)

Offline KarooKid

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Honda CRF450L - Disappointment
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 11:02:39 am »
Great idea.

Why don't we do a proper shootout.

We can ask Angus for his 450X

We might even be able to get an RX....
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline Garthpunk

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 08:24:41 am »
I rode one very briefly at Honda Tygerberg. Obviously not enough time to get a good sense of it but definitely felt quite tame compared to my KTM 350 EXC-F. From what I understand from reading UK reviews (which is same spec as ours) it still has a lot more torque than a 250L, which apparently makes up for the lack of all out horsepower. In other news...I have the full Aussie upgrade kit (ECU and Airbox adaptor) if anyone is interested ;-)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 12:00:34 pm »
Great idea.

Why don't we do a proper shootout.

We can ask Angus for his 450X

We might even be able to get an RX....

Angus and I were out riding on Monday and I have to say.. I just don't see what the disappointment is all about with the 450L. I can tell you, just from riding next to that bike, that 80 - 90% of people on this forum will not use that bike to its full potential. I do think that the plug- ins will come to raise the HP to the American version which I think is around the 33 - 36HP mark and that will improve that longer distance grunt.

Sure its not a speed machine, you going to cruise at 100 - 120km/h on it,  I have seen guys ride these bikes from the UK through Spain doing 4500km, Thats 4 x 10min oil changes to ride, what I consider to be a fully fledged offroad bike.

At times I was not going slow on my 250X and I could'nt catch him in tight stuff.. in Atlantis the 450L it ate up the sand with good tyres, again, with a lighter bike I couldnt catch the 450. If you consider that it is a road legal dirt bike with 1000km oil changes.. to me its a game changer. You can open your garage, pull out the bike and go ride it to literally wherever you want to, when you get there you can explore anything from mountains to river beds and then go park it in your garage again without having to drop the oil every 15 hours. I cant do that with my 450X, I have to trailer my bike to the Cederberg or the Tankwa to ride it.

I found a really good review, (below ) and it sums up what I have been hearing about these bikes. For me the only thing is the price, I cant wrap my head around new bike prices, no matter if its a KTM , BMW.. Yamaha.. they are just really expensive. I bought my 450X for R30k, strip it down to each nut and bolt, rebuild and build into a rallye bike and I will have a competition bike for around R50k so I think it takes a lot for people to dig deep for new bikes.

This was a review of the 450L which was the closest to how I feel about the bike. If you have 20 min give it a watch

&t=1285s

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The following users thanked this post: Boerbok, BullFrog

Offline Garthpunk

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 04:17:12 pm »
Some news....just test rode a CRF450L at Biker's Warehouse in Jo'burg that has a few interesting mods. Apart from the touring screen and cycra hand guards they've fitted a Leo Vince exhaust and apparently have made some other mods to try and improce the output (although the young salesman wasn't sure exactly what they have done). However, according to him they are in negotiations with Honda to fit a new ECU to the bike (presumably the same as the Aussies do) to boost HP. Took the bike for a short spin around the neighbourhood. Definitely feels smoother and less vibey than a KTM 350 or 500 EXC-F but also definitely feels a bit choked up once you get over 80km/h. Would be interesting to see how it goes with the Aussie ECU fitted.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 08:32:17 pm »
Jeez that screen will make it another 10km/h slower, what are people smoking ! This bike is for the rough stuff not touring around on tar or open gravel. I will ditch that screen asap
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien