Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Brights?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Dwerg

Brights?
« on: June 06, 2019, 06:50:26 am »
Do you ride with you brights on regardless of other road users?
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Brights?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 06:51:10 am »
Do you ride with you brights on regardless of other road users?
no  :sip:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Forum Whore
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 06:53:06 am »
It depends. Slow traffic lane splitting - Yes
Open roads - No
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 06:53:37 am »
Poll added

I ask because I had a bike behind me this morning that had his brights on the whole time. Not the first time either
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 07:03:13 am »
No. I find that to be rather inconsiderate. But, I do have spots (set to a low intensity) that helps the bike stand out more amongst other traffic, for visibility reasons. An orange headlight cover also helps, imo.

Offline Dux

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 07:05:07 am »
In the day then brights are on all the time , at night only when necessary
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

The following users thanked this post: ETS, lowrider

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 07:15:22 am »
I can still kind of understand it when lane splitting in low light conditions. I guess you could argue that it makes you stand out from the sea of lights and you are moving through peoples field of view quickly, not sitting behind them. But for that, orange covers work best. The guy this morning however was behind me for a while and I am still seeing spots as I type this  :o

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 07:22:25 am »
On the AT, I had the orange cover over the high beam and nothing over the low beam.
Kept the brights on during the day but turned it off at night.
The orange cover did help a bit to dilute the light

If we travel back roads its on permanently
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Forum Whore
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 07:22:32 am »
But I use the rules of the road Dwerg. If a bike is infront of me I'll dim, the cars aren't affected too much as they only see light in their side mirrors
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline DIRT SKUNK

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Hit the road open the throttle
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 07:30:15 am »
Dip for oncomming traffic

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Love is? Tarmac, throttle wide open! and the pipes screeming like banshees
understanding "Madness does not always howl! Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey,  theres room in your head for one more?"
Honda 175XL rode, broke, fixed, then sold ;CB900 Bol'd'Or sold; BMW r100T & CB1100XX Super Blackbird

Offline ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 07:35:15 am »
I am in two minds about this.  Me being the good guy that I am, I prefer not to have my brights on when in slow moving traffic.  Not for the oncoming cars, but for the ones I am behind of.  I would've been moerse frustrated sitting in traffic with a bike behind me blinding me in my mirrors.  Remember, your bike's headlight shines at about the same level as the mirrors, not below as other cars' does (especially on bright).  Also, I have a orange cover on, which I think actually stands out more when on dim? (To be confirmed by others).

When travelling at higher speed I will be on bright most of the time.  For oncoming traffic the duration of you blinding them (if at all) is short lived.  For cars travelling in the same direction I found that they tend to move over quicker when you come up to them with full brights.  Also on the highway you sometimes find people that does not even  want to make a little bit of room for you to pass (all they really have to do is move over so that their left wheels slightly touches the yellow line, they do not have to put themselves in danger by driving on the shoulder).  When I get frustrated by this I will deliberately ride smack bang in the middle behind them, knowing that my bright headlight shines directly in their rear-view mirror.  I know this is exactly the opposite of my argument above, but this is on the highway, not in traffic.  Again, the 'blinding' is just for as long as it takes me to pass.

At night I use bright/dim as I would in my car, and of course, without orange cover.
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 07:43:43 am »
But I use the rules of the road Dwerg. ]If a bike is infront of me I'll dim, the cars aren't affected too much as they only see light in their side mirrors

So does the bike in front of you? It is the same principle.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Grunder

• "bery bery serious...
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 08:19:58 am »
I commute with my brights on at all times (no brights at night obviously). 

But I have the orange perspex cover so it breaks the intensity if the bright a bit. 

So far nobody has flashed me so if it ain't broke don't fix it  :pot:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:22:46 am by Grunder »
Muscles can't buy mad dog!

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 08:28:08 am »
I dont like doing it especially with the Welding Arc Lights of the AT, but find cars just dont see me if I dont. Busy fitting spots to .see if they work any better at making me more visible
Where are my shorts??

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 08:33:12 am »
On my two older bikes I commute with, and that have candles, yes, but set to throw lower. On my touring bikes I use when needed.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline lukestrugnell

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 08:33:30 am »
On my 2006 KLR the headlight is so dim it doesnt really matter ;)

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:20 am »
I only use brights in two instances. At night, when the normal courtesy of dimming for oncoming traffic, or the vehicle in front applies. Otherwise on those occasions when my dim filament fails which happens, not frequently but has happened on one or two occasions, then the bright becomes a temporary 'spare'.

Bikes lights differ of course. You get  feeble candles, then you get blinders. There have been times when riding with a bunch of mates in daylight when one of them has had to be asked to dim his lights, or if on dim already, then to go ride in front!

I can also imagine that if you use your lights to try to bully a car driver to move over, you are just as likely to piss him off and make him more resolved to block you.  :patch:

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 08:59:57 am »
Circumstance dictate and some common sense, although common sense is not so common.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

The following users thanked this post: AndyF

Offline Meteor

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 01:13:01 pm »
Those things make me squint my eyes about as much as someone with a led bar, even in the day. I don't know why people on bikes believe they are safer when I have to do that but I hope that they start policing themselves before someone does it for them.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 01:40:11 pm »
use brights extremely rarely.
in the 3 weeks or so of the smc i have used them exactly once - to check if they worked and how bright they were.
imho if you are hoping that your bright light is going to make you more visible,  and thus more likely to avoid an accident,  you should not be riding a bike,  because...
you forgot rule # 1: you become invisible as you climb onto the bike.
you see,  on a bike you have to be the most careful of people who look you directly in the eye - they will kill you on purpose.   the rest just 'didn't see you'.
 :thumleft: