Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Brights?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Brights?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 01:40:21 pm »
I keep my brights off unless I am on a dark road that calls for them

People driving with their brights on are inconsiderate to other road users, rather wear yellow vests and don't get me started on the LED spots that can light up Newlands in the fog
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 01:45:07 pm »
Im sorry, visibility saves lives.

Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 01:54:02 pm »

yes but you cant just lump visibility into one word.

Do you drive a car? do you drive with your lights on bright all day and all night so that you can be visible?

Its not rocket science that there is visible and then there is so bright that you cant see anything else.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The following users thanked this post: DavidMorrisXp

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 01:55:57 pm »
Never use brights during the day and dont understand why people do so. Ive heard too many people complain about bikers with their brights on and worse, I find the brights take away a lot of the depth perception. 
I was at a 4 way stop street earlier this week, just before 8am. A guy was approaching on his bike to my right. His head light was so bright I could barely tell how far or close he was or even if he was slowing down.
When he eventually stopped he shouted at me and the people opposite me because we hadn't gone yet. Absolute prick! Wish he had stuck around for a discussion.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:57:28 pm by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

The following users thanked this post: Meteor

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 01:57:03 pm »
DRLs are there for a reason.

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 01:59:19 pm »

yes but you cant just lump visibility into one word.

Do you drive a car? do you drive with your lights on bright all day and all night so that you can be visible?

Its not rocket science that there is visible and then there is so bright that you cant see anything else.

True story. I also find it very selfish. It falls into the same category as people that think they don't need to wait in line or wait their turn in traffic like everybody else.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

The following users thanked this post: DavidMorrisXp

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 02:00:13 pm »
I was driving the other day and I see nothing but brights behind me.. it was so bright that it was blinding

A guy comes past me on a bike, I thought it was a massive truck with his lights on bright. The guy was wearing black shoes, black pants, black leather jacket, black backpack but he is riding with his lights on bright to be visible.. 2 robots later he was nearly taken out by a car who clearly he had blinded and they lost any kind of depth perception. THe oke on the bike was waving his arms around like a complete toss.. I was left thinking that his waving arms actually made him more visible than his brights.  :deal:

And he had his hazzards on.. now with tears in my eyes.. if a car is coming towards to with their lights on bright, can you see their hazzards?  :laughing4: :imaposer: Hazzards once the bike has passed is a bit like trying to eat a sweet with the wrapper on, stupid.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 02:05:54 pm »
And he had his hazzards on..

The oke this morning also had hazards on. I never do it but it does help from behind in a sea of brake lights if I am honest

I have to also mention it's still pitch dark for most of my commute
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 02:09:23 pm »
 Couple of weeks back at one of thse poached egg circles a bike came through and we almost had an accident as he was turning right. Because oif his brights his indicators were not visible> if I had sen them I would have waited to give way to the guy in the circle. .

Guys riding with brights on are looking to have an accident they can claim they did not cause. Like the idiots who ride/drive with hazards on. There is no way they can let you know what their intentions are. But then I guess they don't really care. Supposedly they are now visible.So anything happens it will be the other guys fault.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

The following users thanked this post: Meteor

Offline LouisXander

• Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 02:15:18 pm »
But then on the other hand I ride a 1150GS. Dims and brights ae about tge same

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2019, 02:21:15 pm »
But then on the other hand I ride a 1150GS. Dims and brights ae about tge same

If that's the case then why bother changing them to bright for lane splitting and to dim for open roads?

BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Online Mpandla

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 02:22:59 pm »
I dont think there is much difference in brightness between the 690 dims and brights.
One just makes a blue light indicate on the dash
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 02:25:04 pm »
And he had his hazzards on..

The oke this morning also had hazards on. I never do it but it does help from behind in a sea of brake lights if I am honest

I have to also mention it's still pitch dark for most of my commute

Ok sure.. but how does it help that you can see him ride away with his hazzards on? It is no help when he is coming up behind you because if you looking in your rear view mirror you will never see a bike with its hazzards on, it makes him 0% more visible until he is right on top of you.

If people just thought about visibility in terms of actually being visible then this debate would be solved fairly easily. IMO an orange headlight and reflective vest is all you need to be visible, the rest of it should be your skill to get out of danger. In the case of you riding with your lights on bright that danger may include a random driver running towards you with a baseball bat  :spitcoffee:

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 02:29:30 pm »
I get passed by plenty cars from behind, I commute slow and try to conserve fuel which is why I can see possible value in hazards on. Anyway, I don't do it so I don't know why I'm defending it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:30:03 pm by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online Mpandla

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2019, 02:30:41 pm »
I get passed by plenty cars from behind, I commute slow and try to conserve fuel that is why I can see possible value in hazards on. Anyway, I don't do it so I don't know why I'm defending it.

And the 690 dont have any. Unless I can very quickly flick between left and right
All I can do to make those behind notice is let them hear the Wings pipe
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2019, 02:32:00 pm »
I also saw a guy who had indicators that randomly flash almost like police car lights. Maybe he had a short circuit but that is just dangerous.

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2019, 02:32:14 pm »
I use dim during the day.  I prefer to have the headlight flash functionality available to me and it isn't when on bright.

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2019, 02:32:46 pm »
I get passed by plenty cars from behind, I commute slow and try to conserve fuel that is why I can see possible value in hazards on. Anyway, I don't do it so I don't know why I'm defending it.

And the 690 dont have any. Unless I can very quickly flick between left and right
All I can do to make those behind notice is let them hear the Wings pipe

I've had on previous bikes but neither my 790 or 690 have them

Offline LouisXander

• Forum Whore
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2019, 02:33:58 pm »
True Dwerg, I only ride on dims as well. With LED spots, also on.

When I feel the need I'll switch on the brights for a while

Online Mpandla

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2019, 02:36:16 pm »
I also saw a guy who had indicators that randomly flash almost like police car lights. Maybe he had a short circuit but that is just dangerous.

And some fit those pulsing brake lights. Not sure if that really helps?
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one